なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Someone in the Google Sheets says
まいたら 巻いたら if/when rolled 〜たら conditional form of 巻く Tae Kim 4.8.5

Don’t forget to check that. It’s been very helpful.

I try to search the kanji by myself as much as I can

it was then 巻く maku

そこで、のりを 外がわでは なく、ごはんの 内がわに 入れて まいたら、とたんに 大人気に なりました

over there , it became Instantly extremely popular if the nori is not on the exterior but rolled on the inside of the rice !

2 Likes

Page 12:

Next phrase. I’m going to type it as it appears in the book and not just kanji so we can have both here:

そこで、のりを 外がわでは なく、ごはんの 内がわに 入れて まいたち、とたんに 大人気に、なりました。

my “translation”:

Over there, noris ouside がわでは なく, insert rice in the inside まいたち, とたんに big popularity became

Probably means something like:

Over there (the countries we were talking about), the noris that have something on the outside and rice in the inside, became very popular

These new sentences are a lot harder than the previous ones :confused:

My go:

例えば

For example (literally “if make a simile” or something)

海苔巻きは、見た目が真っ黒なため、

as for norimaki, as a result of (its) appearance (being) pitch black,

アメリカではあまり人気がありませんでした。

as for in the US, (it) wasn’t very popular. (more literally “there wasn’t much popularity”)

Next sentence in separate post.

2 Likes

Page 12:

それが ”カリフォルニアロール”と よばれる おすしです。

That is called “California Roll” sushi

not sure about the よばれる part

なく is ない (無い) in adverb form, also known as the く form of an adjective. ない as in “じゃない”, for example. Sorry, can’t post a link to a grammar resource right now as I’m on my mobile.

The exact definition of ない is simply “nonexistent”, “not being there”. “Without” is a pretty good parsing of it here.

Some examples using ではなく:

source (scroll way down)

7 Likes

それが 「カリフォルニアロール」と よばれる おすしです。

this sushi is called the californian roll

よばれる is the passive form of the verb 呼ぶ

2 Likes

Page 12:

The last sentence I think:
また、生の 魚を 食べる しゆうかんが ない 国が 多く、ツナヤ かまぼこ、アボカドを つかった おすしも 生まれました。

Again, it’s notしゆうかんが to eat raw fish, “tsunaya” かまぼこ, avocado つかった also sushi “got born?”

hmm I thought this sentence was not for today

in the picture Kalamisanos posted… it’s in the same page

P9-10 - book edition

Hey all,

so I’m just getting started on the reading and being a bit overwhelmed by the tons of feedback that has already been given in the last two days (over 300 posts so far). I’ll just share here my translation for the first pages and would be happy for any feedback.

Page 9
りょうり。 食べ物の ふしぎ

Cooking - Delicious foods.

Page 10

Question: Why the の at the end of the question? I know that の shows possession, but isn’t ある enough for that as it already means ‘to exist’?

外国にも、おすしはあるの?

Does Sushi also exist in foreign countries?
Or more direct - Do other countries also have Sushi?

あなたは、どんなおすしがすきですか。

Which Sushi do you like?

The things in ’ ’ are added to the translation by myself to have a complete sentence. Not sure if this is the right way to translate it. If it is supposed to be completely literal, then you would leave those things out. But not sure if this is how you would speak about it in English. (Am German native myself.)

たまご? まぐろ? イクラ? のりまき? いなりずしや、ちらしずしもおいしいですね。

‘The one with’ Eggs? Tuna? Salmon? rolled in Nori leaves? and wrapped in fried tofu, as well as Chirashi Sushi are ‘all’ good, right.

Here the に I’m not sure about the meaning of for the 人?
おすしは、こどもたちから お年寄りまで、たくさんの 人に人気の、日本の 食べ物です。

Sushi is the Japanese food, popular with many people from young until old.

Thanks for the help :smiley:

1 Like

習慣, not しゆうかん… It’s difficult to distinguish small kana from big kana in a vertical layout.

There are many countries not accustomed to eating raw food, so (other types of sushi with avocado tuna etc) were born.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m also happy I kind of guessed what was going on… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

の works as a casual question marker here.

in the types of sushi phrase, i would change “all” for “also”

また、生の 魚を 食べる しゆうかんが ない 国が 多く、ツナヤ かまぼこ、アボカドを つかった おすしも 生まれました。

Again, many countries did not eat raw fish, (so) tuna, avocado, kamaboko (steamed seasoned fish paste - from jisho) sushi were born.

Makes total sense. :tongue:

p12

I’m going to go super literal and break it down a lot, then reassemble. Confidence: low. Help pls.

そこで、

There,

海苔を

nori [object]

外側ではなく、

“not being on the outside”

ご飯の内側に入れて

“put in the inside of the rice and”

巻いたら

if (you) roll

海苔を外側ではなく、ご飯の内側に入れて巻いたら、

if nori, not being on the outside, is put inside the rice and (you) roll (the whole thing, I guess)”

途端に大人気になりました。

immediately became über popular

And now to reinterpret that 〜たら conditional:

When (someone) put not-being-on-the-outside nori on the inside of the rice and rolled (it), (it) unexpectedly immediately became soopa popular.

How’d I do? :woozy_face:
I really still don’t understand why the ない or ではない thing is adverbed into ではなく here…

2 Likes

This means “used” right?

1 Like

I think so? It makes kind of sense if it does.