ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 14 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

Yay, I finished it!!
Thank you to everyone who participated in the book club threads, making this such a fun and (mostly) painless experience for first time reading. (-:

5 Likes

I really enjoyed this volume! I had struggled through Yotsuba for awhile, but this was significantly easier and I was glad to have something to read at my current level.

5 Likes

Does anybody know why this series only ended after 2 volumes? Was it just low sales or not? Finding in-depth info on this series is difficult.

The first volume is from 2019 seemingly and the second is from 2021, I’d assume the author is just not rushing.

On their fanbox they said “Because of their current work situations, the updates are irregular.”, But theoretically you can see their work early there.

Their twitter is also very much active (and very much a diabetes inducing trip), they even posted a pic on the 20th:

You can maybe go stalk them down follow them there: https://twitter.com/watapome

4 Likes

Help, I can’t get out

10 Likes

I got a little off track but was able to finish the last few chapters this weekend.

Thank you so, so much to all the folks who read along. I can only speak for myself, but this has been an amazing experience in my Japanese journey. I’m so glad I was able to join in. Thank you to everyone here for being so welcoming and kind. So many folks were willing to go the extra mile and it shows.

This was the first manga I’ve ever read in Japanese. I certainly didn’t understand it all perfectly–of course not! But I leveled up SO much over the course of these last several weeks. I feel proud!

This was an excellent choice for light subject matter and uncomplicated grammar. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the community for the opportunity! See you all over in the Horimiya threads! :orange_heart:

10 Likes

I’m late too as I was getting off track by transitioning to novels and then life also got in the way, but I finished the manga now – anyway, this was the first time I tried to translate sentence by sentence and the pace in the book club + the easy sentences in the manga made this perfect to try something like this. It made me better in parsing sentences so I would highly recommend everyone to try sentence translations in a book club at least for a few weeks!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my translations and added context, it was immensely helpful! Also thanks to everyone else who provided translations, it made me see things in my translations that were wrong before posting :smiley:

8 Likes

Hey everyone! I fell a bit behind because of travelling and life but today I finished the book! This is the first wanikani book club I’ve ever finished!!! HUGE! :yellow_heart: :trophy: Though I wouldn’t say this is my genre of book, it was really cool reading alongside everyone and working together and reading everyone’s comments! Thanks for all the effort you put into making the threads and compiling the googledocs etc. @ChristopherFritz !

9 Likes

I finally got around to reading the last chapter! It was surprisingly entertaining despite having a simple story premise. I regret a little bit not getting the second volume, I’ll try to see if I can find a cheap version online. It’s just too cute, the scene with the fireworks was one of my favorites, the art was really detailed and well-drawn.

I also recommended this manga to a friend who started learning Japanese a few months ago (not wk, but still), it’s a great first read. Thanks to everyone who helped out translating and asking important grammar questions (that I never think to ask myself :joy: ), and as always thank you for the great resources provided, vocab sheet and fast response to any question here, you’re fantastic :sparkles:

10 Likes