しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

Right under the very last frame at the bottom of the page there’s a little bear seal (er, my son claims it’s a bear cupcake) and it says いつか『本名』が知りたい・・・
There’s something like that for every chapter.
(I have the bis version, if that makes any difference…)

3 Likes

It seems like it does. :thinking:

3 Likes

Oh :hushed:

Well, if you’d like to read the one for the first chapter, it was:
そう、ダイエットはいつでも『明日から』。

Edit: Also speaking of things that are different, I saw a Chapter 0 page in the spreadsheet - is that only in the non-bis version?

2 Likes

Yep, can’t find it in my old version! (I actually bought the biz version at first, but it was much too small and so I gave it away. Now I’m using an old version I got from Book Off for 241 yen. Better for the eyes, but it seems like there are bits missing!)

1 Like

Just read both chapters in one go! Polar bear’s puns make it a bit hard because of so much vocab I learnt on WK months ago but haven’t really encountered again, but the spreadsheet helps a lot with that!

I was also confused about

シロクマくんのお店は自然がいっぱいで癒されるなぁ

and

歩けばそれなりにあるんだよ

the most. Jisho translates それなり as “in itself; as it is; in its own way” so that just confused me more, lol.

1 Like

It seems that’s the Menu (table of contents), character introductions, and a シロクマレシピ① about コーヒー :open_mouth:

3 Likes

hmmm…looks like the シロクマレシピ① is on page 58 in the bis version, and the bis version doesn’t have character introductions… (none of the words from the bis version ‘Menu’ are in the spreadsheet)

But there is a ペーパークラフト at the end, so I’m not complaining :grinning:

2 Likes

Mmm, that one puzzled me too. よく is just the adverb form of よい (alternate spelling of いい, “good”). Not sure how the sentence fits together. I assume it follows on from the previous line about how well-dressed the customers are, and it’s a comment about how they look like they’re out of a magazine, but I don’t quite see how the idiom works.

Aha! I look up 載るin Jisho, and it gives me “to be placed on” or “to appear in print” in meanings. My paper dictionary only gave me the first meaning. That makes a lot more sense. Panda is saying “They’d be well-placed even in a magazine.”

2 Likes

I understood this よく as ‘often’, because that’s another possible meaning of this word. So I got that they often appear in magazines. Does that make sense?

3 Likes

That might be more plausible grammatically, sure. I don’t think there’s actually anything there suggesting that they “look like they could” appear in magazines, the way I was first thinking about it, so I suppose they do in fact appear well/often in magazines.

1 Like

That’s also how I understood it. Only because I had forgotten it could mean いい :sweat_smile:

I’m very happy to see here some absolute beginners as I am :-). I’m on the level 8 now, but it doesn’t help so much :slight_smile: I do recognize some symbols, but still can’t read nor understand the meanings. So I google and move forward really slowly. Posts here and google sheets help a lot. So far I’ve made only up to page 7. Feels extremely hard.
But, please, do not give up. If I see that you
guys are also here, struggling with the same things, it really helps to keep up the mood.

20 Likes

Okay, so i dont know where to begin. ive got the ebook and im looking at the first page and i dont understand anything. ive never done one of these read along things before am i just supposed to post here what i dont understand? cos its pretty much the whole book :joy:

2 Likes

open the vocabulary sheet and follow along, then try to comprehend the overall meaning of each sentence. it’s not that hard if you studied grammar but if you didn’t then I can see how this is hard, especially with the causal speech.
I have to admit I myself didn’t understand it 100% (If you ask me to translate each sentence, it would the death of me) but I got the gist of it and got the idea

Is anyone interested in doing line by line (or page by page) translation, so everything gets actually translated in the tread???

6 Likes

When the panda says “家から歩いてきたら”, on page 8, I’m reading it was “Walking to here from my house,”, as in the past tense of the てくる form of 歩く. But in that case, I don’t understand the ら. Alternatively, if I interpret as using たら so it’s like “When walking from my house”, I don’t understand the き. Could anyone clarify for me what’s happening there?

(I’m sure this is something simple/obvious, and I’ll feel dumb once I understand what’s going on, but it’s tripping me up right now.)

On the plus side: done with chapter one!

1 Like

I think you’ve basically got it; it’s just both put together. 歩くin て form, plus くる in past tense, plus ~ら for a conditional.

Remember that くる is one of the only funny verbs; it does strange things like きた for its past form and こない for its negative form.

3 Likes

You mean sort of like a script of the whole chapter or just page by page posts?

1 Like

Yeah, I was right that it was simple, and I was just being dumb. I had it in my head that たら was a separate thing, but it’s actual the た-form plus ら (Like, I was expecting it to be 歩いてきたたら.) I even tried looking up ら in my grammar dictionary–if I’d just looked at たら instead, I would have figured it out right away :slight_smile:

Thanks!

4 Likes

Now my possibly silly question…

Bottom right of page 6 (bis/ebook)… Panda uses the verb いらない, referring to sugar going into coffee. My first reading, I figured it was some grammar point around the “to exist” いる that I’d look up later… silly me; that いる is an 一段 verb.

Anyway, 五段 verbs pronounced 「いる」 from my dictionary that seem relevant are 入る “to go in” and 要る “to be wanted.” They both seem like they’d mean basically the same thing in context… is there any further way to be sure which いる was intended here?

I’m pretty sure it’s meant to be 要らない, on the basis that that’s the only one of the two that Jisho labels as “usually kana,” but I don’t know how reliable that criterion is.

3 Likes