お前 and its dangers!

He wouldn’t be resigning if he said either one. I wasn’t arguing that framing it the way you did was wrong at any point. We’ll have to agree to disagree if you think なさいませんか would be taken poorly.

i said both are okay, and i agree that he wouldn’t have to resign. he was likely an overblown idiot thinking the world revolves around him, or he was completely misinterpreting the situation while completely lacking empathy.

we’re not in disagreement here, leebo. we’re just nitpicking which nuance we’d use instead, and that’s a-okay.

I actually wasn’t even advocating my sentence over yours, just mentioning what the literal keigo version would be (where he asks the guy about what he will do).

Probably wasn’t clear.

it’s all good. we’re discussing this here via forum, not in person, makes us sound more hostile than intended, hehe.

your 参加になさいませんか is perfectly fine. so is my abbreviated “tiptoeing around asking openly”.

i must add that i have not the slightest clue which is called how. i know which has what degree of politeness, since i’m using it every day, so your grammatical explanation is useful for me.

I’m studying to take the Nihongo Kentei at some point after N1, and it’s common for them to say “take this part of a sentence and make it keigo” so I’m probably in that mode more than “What would you say if you just had to make a sentence from scratch.”

i didn’t ever even take the JLPT, but i’ve been living and working here for a couple years. i’m the head teacher at our school and coordinate both teachers and japanese staff, which makes me speak all day long.
the lack of formal japanese instruction (self-taught with a stubborn determination and refusal to tackle kanji) leads to sometimes hilarious results when i try to explain something about japanese, so i’m glad you’re here to cover that.

maybe i should just stick to example sentences :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.