魔女の宅急便 (Kiki's Delivery Service) Home Thread - Beginner's Book Club

Hi @chofas, go ahead.
As far as I’m concerned, that’s “revision” and apparently it’s good for my learning. :joy:
Also, welcome to the book club!

1 Like

Thank you!
I’ll post my questions then :smiley: and help you “review” hahaha

Hi ! I just received the book and will try to catch up…

1 Like

Welcome! I went ahead and added you to the member list ^^

Enjoy! The vocab list may help you get through faster than having to look up words yourself. :smile:

Yes so helpful !!

1 Like

I’ve been filling out the vocab sheet for the book, but it seems like not many people have been. So I’m curious if people have been using it.

• I regularly add to the vocab sheet
  • I regularly use the vocab sheet to look words up
  • I rarely/never use the vocab sheet

0 voters

I’m a little late but would like to try and catch up. May I please be added to the group? I’ve just ordered a bunko paperback copy of the book and should get it Monday.
Looking forward to reading with you,

Added you to the list – I went ahead and put you as “reading along” ^^

このブッククラブへようこそ ! :slightly_smiling_face:

どうもありがとうございます。楽しみにしています!

2 Likes

I’m behind by quite a bit, but I think I’m going to try to start reading this and catch up as much as I can!(I already have the book, so I may as well…) How long do I have until we switch to another book?

We’ll officially be done on June 9th, though you’re welcome to continue asking questions in any of the chapter threads after that.

The new book will probably start a few weeks after that, but we haven’t picked a schedule yet.

So, I’ve purchased the book, but looking through the sample this is still just above my reading ability. This will be my first attempt at seriously reading something other than learning resources in Japanese outside of graded readers. The book club is over, but I wouldn’t have been able to keep up anyway. As far as grammar goes, I’ve completed and continue to review duolingo, lingodeer, and textfugu, and have a loose to solid understanding of all the grammar presented in these resources. I understand that these resources really only cover basic N5 and maybe a bit of N4 material. I’m also studying the floflo.moe vocab list specifically for the book. With a dictionary and grammar resource on hand, it takes me a couple minutes to get through a sentence, but I am able to eventually able to derive some meaning from the material. Do you guys have any tips/strategies for tackling something like this as someone of my skill level? My current idea is just to take it a couple sentences a day, but I wanted to make sure there wasn’t a better way to make this an effective learning experience.

I think you may have a hard time if you don’t get a little more into N4 grammar at least. That’s all my level was, and I got through okay. But there’s a lot in N4 grammar that’s going to be all throughout the book.

Also, if you have any interest in manga, it might be a good idea to read Aria the Masterpiece with us first as a primer, then read 魔女の宅急便 right after. The manga will be much easier than the book, but it will still give you a lot of good practice with trying to understand real Japanese material. (For reference, I read one volume of よつばと before reading 魔女の宅急便.)

I also wanted to specifically respond to this. Of course you want to make sure you don’t get completely lost, but it’s okay if you don’t understand every sentence entirely. I learned this the hard way reading this book. At the beginning I tried to understand everything, but this just lead to frustration and burn out. Later on I found the right balance between analyzing a sentence and moving on to continue enjoying the book.

Other than that, make good use of the vocab sheet and the existing questions and answers in the 魔女の宅急便 chapter threads. And always feel free to ask new questions!

1 Like

You might be right. Let’s go with Aria first. Guess I’ll see if I can pick it up before too long.

Also, @momoiro and @radish8 were discussing the idea of having a second group go through Kiki at some point. I’m not sure when, but hopefully they can touch base and let you know if that is still happening.

1 Like

Yep, we are, @preciselyrobin.

At the moment we’re reading other things, checking out how hard we find Kiki and waiting for Aria to start so that I can judge how feasible reading both at the same time will be (or whether we should wait until after Aria). But I think we were intending to let people know when we decide to do it so that anyone else interested can join in at the same time.

2 Likes

Hello,
Is this only for the first volume? I’m on the second, at the moment.

Yep, this was a read-through of the first volume, which I think is ending in a couple of days?

I think this book club tries to avoid reading subsequent volumes of series because then there’s a barrier to entry for anybody who didn’t read the first, and it’s not great for anybody who didn’t enjoy the first volume (or didn’t want to read it). Variety!

That said, there’s nothing to stop you starting your own particular Kiki’s Delivery Service club, which is what happened with Yotsuba. I don’t know how much uptake you’d get though, because most people found Kiki pretty difficult.

1 Like

Yes, technically we’re reading until Saturday, June 9th, but everyone that was reading the book has already finished.

I personally have no interest in continuing on to read the second book. I’d much rather read a different novel of similar difficulty, like 時をかける少女.

1 Like