魔女の宅急便 (Kiki's Delivery Service) Home Thread - Beginner's Book Club

All I can see is your profile picture and “EA”; no other personal info, so you’re good.

1 Like

Thanks, @Kumirei!

Added the spreadsheet to the original post of both this and chapter 1’s thread :slight_smile: thank you for making it!

And someone’s already adding in vocab! Thank you to whoever is doing that! I can’t wait to add to it as well =)

1 Like

That was me; I threw in my notes from the first paragraph.

I’m not sure how we should decide which words to include… I skipped what seemed like really basic stuff to me: 小さな, 町, etc. But these might not seem really basic to everybody. Conversely, some words I noted (like 深い and 森) might be too basic for everybody.

But I guess even an imperfect vocab list is better than no vocab list, right?

4 Likes

The google spreadsheet for the vocab is really awesome! :smiley:

4 Likes

I absolutely agree! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the vocab list, it is really great! And please don’t worry about words being too simplistic; those who know them can skip them, and the others might be grateful. So whatever anybody feels is a word worth adding, is a word worth adding :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, and btw please add me to the list of participants, I already have the book at home (the red one) and am very much looking forward to reading it!

Added :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t you change text size on most Kindle books? If you can do that with Kiki, people will have different page numbers depending on the size.

2 Likes

Yes that’s correct, I went ahead and changed it to “Kindle location #” for more accurate reference :slight_smile:

I love the spread sheet so far! <3
Great idea and very good cooperative work! =D

1 Like

If words get repeated through the same chapter and/or different ones, do we make a new entry for it ?

I assume not. Would make it too complicated and hard to use.
Well, new chapter maybe, but even then, maybe not?

I have a feeling ほうき is gonna stick by the end of the book.

5 Likes

I just bought 魔女の宅急便 and will be reading it with you guys! Can I be added to the list?

Added :+1:

1 Like

The book finally arrived. :slight_smile: I already glanced at the first couple pages and it totally seems doable! At least for the first part where they describe the town, it’s actually quite easy to get the basic meaning of most sentences with my current vocab. Of course I don’t understand all words and grammar points, but still, it’s better than expected and certainly easier than the other Japanese book I own. (君たちはどう生きるか)

1 Like

So I’m a bit confused now as to what edition of the book I own. It seems to be the red book pictured on the right in the main post, with some tiny differences in the cover. However, the page numbers are completely different from the ones in the vocab list. What is on page 3 for me is on page 9 in the spreadsheet. So I’m guessing I got some sort of different edition with fewer pages at the front? It also seems to have been printed in 1985, according to the ISBN. :smiley: Anyone else have that third edition? Not sure if it’s worth creatin a new category on the vocab list for that.