魔女の宅急便 (Kiki's Delivery Service) Home Thread - Beginner's Book Club

I’d like to be added as well. It’s going to be a stretch for me, grammar-wise, but it’ll hopefully be a good learning experience.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to watch the movie for ages. Please add me!
よろしくお願いします!

2 Likes

got you guys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey! I own that book! I was even starting to read it on my own. I’m not very good at forums but I’d love to try joining this club. Will someone add me? =)
Do I just bookmark this post to keep up with the readings and discussion or will there be a new post each time?

2 Likes

Added :slight_smile: we’ll be creating a new thread for each chapter so I’ll be compiling all the links to each chapter’s discussion thread on this thread as we go

So if it’s easier for you, you can bookmark this thread to be a reference to find all the other discussion threads and see what the reading schedule is and what chapter we’re currently reading

2 Likes

Hi! I’ve got a book and I’d like to join. Add me to the member list, please.

1 Like

Id love to join! Just downloaded the sample on iBooks and will buy it soon :slight_smile:

However, I was wondering about the pace? Hopefully, I’ll be able to stay on schedule!

1 Like

I’ve seen this schedule suggested in the beginner book club thread (page #'s based hardcopy with furigana edition [red cover]):

Chapter 1 - 7 pages - 1 week
Chapter 2 - 13 pages - 1 week
Chapter 3 - 37 pages - 4 weeks
Chapter 4 - 27 pages - 3 weeks
Chapter 5 - 24 pages - 2 weeks
Chapter 6 - 26 pages - 3 weeks
Chapter 7 - 26 pages - 3 weeks
Chapter 8 - 22 pages - 2 weeks
Chapter 9 - 20 pages - 2 weeks
Chapter 10 - 18 pages - 2 weeks
Chapter 11 - 25 pages - 3 weeks

Total: 26 weeks

Does everyone agree with this pace?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If not, feel free to suggest an alternative reading schedule and we can discuss/revise as needed!

I clicked yes, with the only suggestion of doing chapter two in 2 weeks (unless more drawings/easier text? )
Compared to the others it has a much higher page per day =)

Edit: well, some have almost same amount I guess. So maybe not.

2 Likes

26 weeks is a lot of time to read a book :open_mouth:
I guess it’s fine with me, that will be plenty if the book is not too hard.

1 week to do 7 pages in the first chapter , then 1 week for 13 pages … No … it needs 2 weeks !

Yes with the caveat that it might be better to do two weeks for the first chapter despite it being short. I believe this was done with Yotsuba and it seemed to ease people in nicely.

With Yotsuba it was cause that chapter was huge. I’d rather do it on chapter two if any, to make it more like chapter one for an easy start, and have longer chapters later.

I think the pace will pick up after a few weeks as people get used to the vocabulary and writing style. Might be slow at the beginning but I don’t think it will take the average reader 26 weeks imho. (Maybe just wishful thinking, haha.)

1 Like

Ah, okay. I didn’t realize that.

Does the version with the red cover and furigana have some pictures in it? I just got the version without furigana and the only picture is on the first page. That could partly explain the page differences between the two versions.

Just discovered this thread. I want to be part of this too!

1 Like

It does, it has a picture every few pages. So you’re right, that could be where the page difference comes from!

Do you have the book yet or have you ordered it? (So I know which symbol to put next to your name)