額 vocab meaning

I went through 68 example sentences for 額 and only 4 of them referred to a picture frame. That’s a very small amount.

The usage was about 50-50 between forehead/brow and amount (or a variation of amount, like total).

I feel like the meaning of the vocab should either be changed or these synonyms added officially, because I feel like it’s a little misleading.

I actually just assumed prior to reading the example sentences that picture frame / frame / picture was it’s only meaning as a singular kanji, and that assumption would’ve lead to some serious confusion while reading, I imagine…

1 Like

Jisho puts picture (framed) as the number one meaning though.

That’s true, but I’m not sure whether that’s any more relevant than the example sentences, but I don’t know how Jisho’s numbering works.

And I just realized that forehead/brow has a different pronunciation, mostly, even though it’s still listed under gaku.

But amount was used very heavily, and I feel like it should be added…

What are some of the example sentences you came across? I usually use 額 in conjunction with other words, like 金額 or 半額etc., so there are many ways to use 額 to describe amounts in that manner. However, interestingly, if you look up “amount” on jisho, 量 or some variation is listed, and that’s what we usually use to describe amounts or quantities. Probably not too helpful :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d have to get on my computer to see because I’m not sure where the API pulls the example sentences from. I did try to check that they weren’t compound words but I can’t guarantee I checked all of them?

Goo puts “sum” as Number one meaning, though. Picture frame is now secondary meaning.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.