青く meaning in this sentence

I was listening to a song and here is a phrase in the lyrics:
空が青く高くて

At first I thought I had misheard, surely the lyrics were 空が青く高くて. But no, I confirmed via a picture of the insert that comes with the CD that it is 青く, not 青くて.

I’m wondering, is this an adverb being used in a way that wouldn’t be used in English (“bluely tall/high” makes no sense in English)? Is this just writers being poetic in song, or is this something people would actually say instead of 青くて高い to say that something is blue and tall/high?

Here are the full lyrics for that verse if it helps. Maybe something surrounding that phrase in question changes its meaning.

I’m READY! 空が青く高くて
涙ぐんだ今を忘れないよ
ひたすら進もうと誓うから
分かりあった瞬間は大切な Non stop road

@Leebo I was just reading your response as you deleted it… Any specific reason?

Sometimes in written or formal language, the て in the て form is dropped for brevity. That could be what’s happening here, lyrics in particular make use of any style if the lyricist wants to make the song sound smoother.

I hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but it thought it might be similar grammar to something like these sentences;

このテストはとても難しく、合格する人は少ない

山手線に乗り、代々木駅で中央線に乗りかえ、十分ぐらいです

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.