銭天堂 | Week 7 Discussion

Week 7 Discussion | Pages 63 - 72

Chapter 3: ホーンテッドアイス

Start Date: 15th June
Last Week: Chapter 3 Part 1
Next Week: Chapter 4 Part 1

Zenitendou

銭天堂 Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 3 this week.

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
    Use and identify details tags for any content from later in the book, like this:
    [details=Spoilers from chapter 9]
    texthere
    [/details]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

This chapter was so cute! I loved how she reads the ice cream packaging and goes oh of course, it‘s ghosts!
And I knew someone had stolen the ice cream right away when her friends weren’t there anymore :frowning:
Favorite chapter so far.

5 Likes

Yep, I really liked the chapter as well. I’ve liked how each character has had very different reactions to their supernatural encounters.

3 Likes

This was also my favorite chapter so far. I just loved the whole concept of ice cream ghost air conditioning. It made for a really fun read. I was a little sad when she came back from her business trip and they were gone. :cry:

5 Likes

I just loved how she was like: ‘Oh that’s what it was!’ As if it was perfectly normal :joy:

But I agree with all of you, it was a really nice, refreshing chapter and placed really well in the book as I was just thinking it was getting a bit too repetitive.

7 Likes

Yeah, the form has been pretty similar so far. I was wondering why none of the point of view characters seem to read the instructions for their magical sweets. So far the only person who appeared to have read them was the sister in the last chapter.

2 Likes

Really, who reads instructions?

4 Likes

I think it’s more like, all the people who manage to read the instructions and suffer no ill effects don’t make for good stories. We only read about the people who don’t :wink:

2 Likes

Me :smile:

3 Likes

If I bought sweets from a sketchy shop with alleged effects like that, I would read all the instructions at least 3 times to be honest :sweat_smile:
I see why it wouldn’t make for such interesting stories, but just reading about the characters skipping the instructions makes me anxious :smile:

4 Likes

いざとなれば 、アイスののこりを食べてしまえばいいだけだもの 。

The mono at the end confuses me a bit, I get the meaning must be something like In case of emergency, I just have to eat the rest of the ice…mono, so the sentence is basically done at the last da – what does mono add?

In my view, this もの is “because” (=から). AFAIK, in the standard dialect, it’s the only one that takes だ before it; others should take な.

1 Like

Essentially what @Carvs said, but it adds a bit of a sense of reluctance to the action. A feel kind of like adding “I guess…” to the end of the statement.

4 Likes

As far as I understand this adds an emotional tone to the sentence, mainly of dissatisfaction or reluctance. It is very often abbreviated as simply もん.

Here is the bunpro grammar point, and a short explanation in jgram

4 Likes

This whole book is just a cautionary tale on not reading the ToS and/or instructions.

Though, to be fair on the characters, who would read instructions on how to eat lollies that cost less than a dollar?

6 Likes

Also, I’ve been wondering… why would you be so sadistic as to put the warning about someone getting haunted for life at the bottom of the package in tiny letters? Erm wait, that’s how many legal documents work too, now that I think about it =._.=

6 Likes

I mean… If you eat someone else’s ice cream, and all you got was haunted for life, you got off easy.

4 Likes

Help!

そのまま 、とめるまもなく逃げていってしまったんですよ 。

I’m totally lost here. First something with stop momentarily having run away, then the metric ton of modifying verb suffixes… I really have no clue besides that the guy is probably running away?

そのまま - jisho says “immediately, without a pause”
とめるまもなく - without having time to stop (him)
And then simply 逃げていく + しまいました

So the guy just ran away, and the landlord didn’t have time to stop him

5 Likes

Ah, I was missing the second meaning of まもなく, I had the まもなく、一番線に東京方面行きがまいります meaning in mind and that doesn’t really mesh with the rest of the sentence, and wasn’t aware there was another meaning. Thank you so much for clearing that up!

3 Likes