Start Date: 18th May
Last Week: Chapter 1 Part 2
Next Week: Chapter 2 Part 1

Zenitendou

銭天堂 Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 1 this week

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
    Use and identify details tags for any content from later in the book, like this:
    [details=Spoilers from chapter 9]
    texthere
    [/details]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

I’ve split the vocabulary sheet up by week, so let me know how you find it this week and whether we want to stick with this or go back to doing it by chapter :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Can you add the first and last sentence for this week for us page number deficient people on ebooks? Thanks!

Edit: Checking with last week’s thread, turns out I have already reached this week part. This book is so much more my level than 時をかける女子, yeah!

Edit 2: Just realised that since we are reading to the end of the chapter, the ending sentence is not really relevant. Gee, I wish I wasn’t so slow…

1 Like

Oh yaaay \o/ Was just wondering when we’ll finish it, yay:3 Thanks for the thread! :yellow_heart: I will read in the couple of days, I think, I have too many reviews:DD

3 Likes

Woo, done with chapter one!

This week, though I wouldn’t say I perfectly understood every single word, I didn’t have any problems with anything I wasn’t able to figure out on my own.

(I also managed to read everything in a single sitting, where the last couple of weeks I needed to spend 2-3 days. Progress!)

5 Likes

I finally caught up to this week! It has been a fun read so far, and I’m really enjoying all the onomatopoeia. For some reason I feel like they bring the story to life.

4 Likes

Also, I forgot to mention that this book totally reminds me of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle stories I used to read as a kid. The circumstances are a little different, but it has the same kind of feel to it.

4 Likes

True. I did think it felt kind of familiar, and I think that might be why! :slightly_smiling_face::turtle::tophat::mag:

I thought the same thing!! I loved reading Ms. Piggle Wiggle!!

1 Like

So much life has been happening that I just haven’t had time to comment on this pick much :scream: realise we finished this first chapter a couple of weeks ago now, but what were people’s first impressions?

3 Likes

I actually thought that the girl was being too calm for what was going on:DD Maybe that’s just me, but I would be freeeeaking out:DDD Also I found the scene at the end with her mom kinda funny:DD Such a poor excuse :eyes: :joy:

Also the book seems to be written in a rather simple language, but also difficult sometimes, but I can’t really explain in what and where :thinking:

3 Likes

I laughed out loud at the mum’s response to 良かった! :joy:

5 Likes

Does okashi represent drugs, Beniko-san represent a drug dealer, and the gradual takeover of one’s body (fish scales and fins) represent an overdose? Is it warning kids not to do drugs? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It’s also the first book I’ve read that has used partial furigana rather than all or nothing. It’s kind of interesting seeing which words get furigana, which get furigana just the first you see them, etc. - quite a few places where I wish they’d used kanji instead of hiragana!

4 Likes

I wish they just used kanji with furigana:DD Sometimes it’s okay, but kanji help sooo much to break the wall of kanji

Definitely! It’s probably good practice for being able to break down those strings though, I guess…

1 Like

Yeaaaah:D I read all volumes of Yotsuba so I’m used to that a bit :joy:

3 Likes

I’m really liking the way they use furigana on the first instance of (most) kanji on a page, but then leave it off the rest of the page. It makes me practice my readings instead of defaulting to the furigana unconsciously.

5 Likes

Finished Chapter 1! I should be caught up with everyone before Chapter 3 is over.

I think the premise is cute, modern-day folk tale-y. (and it still kinda of reminds me of pet shop of horrors but with less, you know, murder). I’m definitely keeping this one to re-read at some point in the future since it’s interesting and a fairly quick read. I might have to see if there’s more books in the series, but not until after ハルヒ at least.

5 Likes

Yes, I really like that too! It’s not cruel about it either - it’ll give you the furigana again if it comes up at a much later point.

There are definitely more books in the series :wink: I think there are about ten in total so far? It seems like one of those slightly never-ending children’s series.

3 Likes