Last Week: Chapter 1 Part 1
Next Week: Chapter 1 Part 3

Zenitendou

銭天堂 Home Thread

Last sentence of page 21 for eBook readers:
まるでガラスのかけらみたいだけれど、よく見ると、魚のうろこに似ている。

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
    Use and identify details tags for any content from later in the book, like this:
    [details=Spoilers from chapter 9]
    texthere
    [/details]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

2 Likes

Woot, week 2! Up to 7 pages this week :triumph:

Do people want a separate sheet on the vocab list for each week, or just each chapter?

I’m currently reading this and Kino’s Journey, and I have to say, the Intermediate book club got the easier read this week!! So much new vocab for me in this book! I’ve put some into the spreadsheet. I think one page per chapter is fine. We can always insert more lines if we need to.

5 Likes

Made it through three (and a bit more pages) on my first day of reading along with the book club, so I’m pretty confident at this point I’ll be able to keep up :slight_smile: I did have a couple of questions from what I read:

Page 14, third paragraph(?)

ちょっとぞくりとするような、色っぽい声だった。

In particularly, the first phrase. I’m having trouble with the ぞくりとする.

For the とする part, I found this, but I’m lost as to what ぞくり means–the only definitions I found were “petty official​” and “a subordinate”, neither of which seem like they would make sense here to me. Even looking in a J-J dictionary didn’t help.

Since that doesn’t make sense to me, I assume I’m missing something. The only meaning I could think of would it being a sort of monotone, but that seems at odds with 色っぽい being used to describe her voice as well. But it’s possible “sexy voice like a petty official” makes more sense in Japanese?

Page 18, paragraph 1

今のは夢だったのかと思いかけたが、手の中にはしっかり「型ぬき人魚グミ」のはこがにぎられている。

I understand the sentence, I think, but I don’t understand the の in 今の. 今 is a noun, so it doesn’t seem like it would be a nominalizer, so is it making it possessive? How does that change the meaning from just having a plain 今は…?

1 Like

I’d love to have separate sheets for each week, thank you, it’s also easier to distinguish when a designated reading part ends :sweat_smile:

I have some questions too meow~

Meow

12% (Around page 20-21 I think)

おもわず強くかいたときだ。

Not really sure what かいたとき would mean here. From context I feel it is scratching (since 真由美’s foot got itchy in the previous paragraph), but can’t find anything to confirm.

Then after that sentence there is:

かり。

I am guessing this is just a sound effect of something falling to the floor, but can’t find anything that confirms this either…

Any help is appreciated!

Not sure how to explain it in grammatical terms, but my understanding is that のは can be used like that to work like a pronoun. In this scenario, it would literally mean “that just now”.

For example, suppose you are visiting a friend and while you are chatting you suddenly hear a loud bark from the other side of the wall. Your friend could explain by saying:

今のは、お隣さんの犬。
That just now, was the neighbor’s dog.

5 Likes

:joy: I had exactly the same thought!
After that I decided it wasn’t crucial to the plot and just ignored it, but maybe it indicates a slightly officious tone? :thinking:

Japanese uses a lot of sound effects. When in doubt, I google “manga sfx” and the word, and something usually comes up. :joy:
According to this page, かり is a crisp sound.

3 Likes

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

edit: That does make it basically the nominalizer, I think? I guess it works like that because 今 is an adverb.

1 Like

This is so useful! Most of the time when reading manga I give up on searching for the sound effects since they are hard to lookup. Thank you!

1 Like

Hmmm. I’m not completely sure that’s what is happening in the case of のは. I don’t feel that “今” is getting turned into a noun.

I used the term pronoun back in my post because I feel that this construction is hiding an actual noun. In my example we had

今のは、お隣さんの犬。

which is actually sort of an abbreviation of:

今の(音)は、お隣さんの犬。

so のは is just hiding the implicit 音. I feel this is very similar to how in English, pronouns like “he” hide the name of an actual person (e.g, “Jack”), to avoid repetition.

Then again, I am not really sure. Maybe someone with a more solid grammar foundation can give us the proper term for this…?

2 Likes

This is my go to resource for sound effects:

3 Likes

I don’t have the book to read the context, but what you’re describing sounds similar to this (though this article seems to be mostly about adjectives, it does briefly mention nouns as well):

http://maggiesensei.com/2013/07/17/how-to-use-のno-one-indefinite-pronoun/

3 Likes

Reading through that link, it indeed seems to be what we are talking about. Thanks!

1 Like

I have a feeling that the one here is another ぞくり, like this one

So it may be read as That was a sexy voice that made one kind of shiver

6 Likes

Page 20, paragraph 4

ばしゃんと水の中に入るなり、はげしいかわきがおさまるのをかんじた。

I think I understand the sentence (As soon as she entered the water, her feeling of violent thirst subsided), but I have no clue what the ばしゃんと is supposed to be.

From my understanding, it is the onomatopoeia for a splash when entering the water.

So the sentence means “After entering the water with a splash, …”

4 Likes

Thanks! Looks like I need to start using that sound effect site.

2 Likes

I love how Japanese has a different onomatopoeia for middle and big splashes ^.^

3 Likes

Definitely felt myself looking up words more frequently this week than last, but overall still not so much that it’s unenjoyable or impossible to understand! I actually enjoyed it so much that I finished the first chapter before I finally forced myself to stop reading… guess I’ll just be ahead for a little while :sweat_smile:

2 Likes