銭天堂 ・ Zenitendou, The Mysterious Sweet Shop! (Beginner Book Club)

Specific meaning, but also it’s faster to have the vocab list open (in my experience) to glance at the meaning of word, if you need to (though, as I had mentioned before, I haven’t been doing that a ton with the しろくまカフェ book club because I can generally get through the material fairly well, at least good enough as a ‘first pass,’ without needing to look much up. I suspect that won’t be the case with harder material.)

It’s also probably faster to make an SRS entry from a line in a spreadsheet, depending on your system, rather than copying and pasting out of jisho.org (or similar site), though that might not always be the case. For instance, with your method using kitsun.io I doubt the entries in the spreadsheet would be incredibly helpful, but people reading dead tree books, like I will be, can’t use convenient in-app dictionary look ups.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I agree with this, don’t get me wrong :stuck_out_tongue: I was just following up with my method.

I’ll still say that vocab lists like we do them here are quite more useful during the reading itself :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like making lists, so I started a google spreadsheet. Feel free to add anything!
銭天堂の単語

6 Likes

Got my copy in the mail today!

I took a quick glance at it, and it looks like every page it the equivalent of about 6-8 pages of にゃんにゃん探偵団 (a very rough estimate.) I’ve been progressing through にゃんにゃん探偵団 at about 4-6 pages per day lately, so hopefully I can get a bit faster and be able to keep up once this one starts.

2 Likes

Exciting!

If anybody starts this one and then really finds the pace too much, one tactic might be to join in for every other chapter. Each one is a little story in its own right, so you could skip chapter 2, for example, to be caught up in time for 3.

But hopefully everyone will be able to keep the pace :blush:

4 Likes

I am reading both Shirokuma Cafe and the Girl’s tour… The vocab lists are so very helpful and save so much time… It’s made tackling reading them fun!!!

3 Likes

Just one week to go!

Which means it’s time for me to ask @seanblue if there are any pro tips for setting up the vocab sheet :grin:

7 Likes

Message me on Discord. I don’t want to publicly disclose all my secrets. :wink:

1 Like

Small question–in the first post, the name of the first chapter is listed as 片ぬき人魚グミ. I tried working out what that would mean, but I was having trouble with what the 片 would mean there.

I just opened my book, and I see the chapter named named 型抜き人魚グミ (which makes a lot more sense to me, since 型抜き is a word itself.) Was that just an IME mishap (since 片 and 型 have the same reading), or am I missing something?

Hi everyone, this will be my first book-reading. Hope I can keep up with the pace.

I bought my ebook on booklive. Is there anyway I can transfer it on a kindle ?

2 Likes

I see that both the booklive and honto have the same price for the digital version. Please, can anyone with some experience with these sites give me some advice on which of the two would be better to buy from?

1 Like

I use honto because of the point system (I live in Japan so it’s handy) and it has coupons regularly.

1 Like

My copy arrived this morning along with some other goodies from japan. I might crack on with this and see if I do better than last time.

3 Likes

buys book, flips through the first few pages

:heart:

8 Likes

Fun fact: 猫に小判 is the Japanese equivalent of “pearls before swine”.

6 Likes

Just got my copy in yesterday, looking forward to trying this out with all of y’all!

2 Likes

I got the ebook on BOOK☆WALKER along with a fair amount of bonus coins for which I got me some volumes of クレヨンしんちゃん (on sale). I hope I will find the time to read everything I have in my library someday :durtle_megane: Actually I prefer physical books, but it’s just too expensive to import. Can’t wait to start with this one.

1 Like

Bookwalker currently has a Golden Week special where you get 15% back (in coins) for each book. It lasts until 6th May, 10 am Japanese time. After that, it’s back to the standard 1%.

4 Likes

So… is there a communal vocab spreadsheet? I can’t see a link?

@Radish8 I am looking forward to being back in the same reading group as you! I’ve missed you in the ARIA bookclub!

1 Like

Sorry, just added it! I started to buy a house this week and got distracted :scream:

I’ve missed joining in with the ARIA book club :pensive: really looking forward to reading with you again :blush:

If I put the threads up, like… now-ish, does that work for people in Japan/Australia/other places near the date line?

8 Likes