起きる vs. 起こる - "To occur"

So, when I learned these two words back during my high school study/minor, I always distinguished them as being “to wake up” and “to occur,” respectively. These are also the primary definitions offered by Wanikani.

However, in practical reading, I’ve seen a few instances of 起きる being used in the “to occur” sense. I see most dictionaries also list it as having an alternate definition of “to occur,” usually in reference to unfavorable events.

What’s the nuance here? Is 起こる the go-to for occurrences while 起きる is generally favored to convey displeasure? Thank you to anyone who can help me sort this out!

2 Likes

As I read some examples given, my impression is using 起きる for “to happen” seems to have a more dramatic flair. I’d say your impression is right.

「大地震が-・きた」 「奇跡が-・きる」 「火災が-・きる」

It seems like those are some pretty intense things happening, rather than any old mundane thing.

1 Like

There is a slight nuance and image difference, that’s about it. Keep 発生する in mind too, you’ll hear that a lot in the news when there was an accident or something like that but using that in normal conversation is quite stiff.

There’s good discussion about 起きる/起こる at 「起きる」、「起こる」、「発生する」 - いつもお世話になっておりま- 日本語 | 教えて!goo
The first reply is a very good answer and goes in detail at the nuance/image differences.

2 Likes

Thanks, all! Very detailed answers.

Thank you for the heads up on 発生する as well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.