行う: I hate this word

行う definitely gave me trouble in the beginning for reasons that I don’t know. But as mentioned, it is used enough that you will eventually have no problem.

Plus, in sentences you can’t really get it confused with 行く

1 Like

Ah, yes. Great point. I actually really like this word for some reason though. I remember riding the train in Tokyo with my friend ゆり and never forget it for some reason :wink:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one struggling with this one. I just can’t get my brain to retain the definition. Usually my brain sees it and says “行! Go! This means ‘to go do something!’” And then I stare blankly while I try to remember how to properly phrase that. I’m trying to get ‘to carry out’ to stick in my head by imagining two guys literally carrying out something on top of their heads which I can visualize easily enough with the kanji but uhh, well…I’ll just have to see after I review it next if that actually works for me or not.

At least I’m not struggling with the pronunciation!
(Watch me fail it on pronunciation next time…haaaa)

4 Likes

I always think of “performing an okonomiyaki … now”.

2 Likes

On the bright side, if you get used to the pronunciation, it will make your future life easier. There is a decent pool of words with similar pronunciation (養う やしなう) is one example you’ll see only a few levels in the future. I had issues with it once it got to the Master stage due to completing reviews too quickly despite knowing it. >.>

ok nau you should remember this word =)

3 Likes

Yes. Venting about it was actually quite helpful :wink: みんなありがとうございました

1 Like

You aren’t alone, I hate it too.

1 Like

OKOme on NAU
Oh, come on now lol
I totally get where your coming from though. It can be quite frustrating to memorize it but you’ll pass through it soon enough … then get stuck on another word like me haha

行いました!

6 Likes

2 months later

still Guru, still hate this word : <

I’m pretty sure I had it at Master for awhile then flopped because I thought it was To Go. Immediately realized my mistake, but by then I had fumbled the ball.

I expect to get it to enlightened by level 20.

I actually read this as “いう” in the topic title for a split second before my mind automatically corrected it to “おこなう”.

And occasionally I think of it as “おとなう” for some reason, too, which heavily resembles another word I previously had trouble with (damn you, “adult”…)

1 Like

AHHH ME TOOOO I feel u wahh. I still read it as “iku” even though that’s physically impossible. My mind sticks to that pronunciation so hard that I can’t get past it sometimes either lol. Frickin sucks

I still screw it up sometimes when reading books or articles. I am like “Wait, “going” doesn’t make sense in this sentence, what is going on here?” and then suddenly I am like “OHHHH, it is 行う” (in a form that looks identical to an 行く form like Leebo mentioned.)

Agh, me too. I noticed the う and remembered the “おとなう” reading. Unfortunately, I completely blanked on its meaning… “to perform a task”. I imagine it’ll only get worse when reading since the う will often be conjugated away.

Strongly relate to the op tbh

May having read this thread slay the leech :pray:

I hate 行う too, I can never remember the reading for the live of it and so far almost always get it wrong.The reading is too weird. :sob:

Contrary to what people are saying, I think reading more will help you with the word rather than increasing your confusion. It is one of the most common verbs in Japanese. I’m not joking about that. It’s #170 on this list of the top 15000 words in Japanese, and a lot of the top 100 are particles.

2 Likes

Yeah I also think it’s an annoying one. I’ve gotten used to it but every time I see it, the first thing that comes to mind is 行こう. Fortunately I’m still incredibly slow at reading Japanese so when this word comes up, I have time to realize my mistake. Now if only I would do the same on WK

1 Like

I agree. It shows up a ton in reading, and that is definitely helpful, but I still occasionally get confused while reading if I am not being careful. That is all I was trying to say. it trips me up some times.