自動車 : what the heck is an automobile?!

Being British, I have next to zero context for the word “automobile.” In fact I only really associate it with that one seen from The Simpsons where I heard it for the first time, and have maybe heard people use it once or twice in my lifetime exclusively when they’re taking the piss.

So with 自動車 shall I just add the synonym “car” and remember “longer = more formal”?

Or it it more of an obsolete word that people only use jokingly or to sound archaic? In that case “motorcar” would suit me more, but “automobile” does seem to be an amost literal translation.

6 Likes

自動車 is a very normal word for car (Americans seem to have automobiles).

Dict says:
じどうしゃ 自動車
[乗用車] a car; (米書) an automobile, (米話) an auto (複 ~s); (主に英書・やや古) a motorcar; [タクシー] a taxi (→ タクシー); [トラック] a truck, (英) a lorry (→ トラック); [バス] a bus (複 ~es) (→ バス); [各種自動車の総称] a motor vehicle. (→ 車)

6 Likes

Is automobile American English?

People don’t use this for everyday car conversations (like, no one would say “I got a new automobile”), but stuff like “the automobile industry” is normal to hear.

But I am American, so maybe that doesn’t change anything.

And no one says “auto” to mean car. Not anymore anyway. Unless its like “auto show”.

17 Likes

Finally an English word no one uses :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We use it in French the same way yu mentioned “automobile industry”. To me it is helpful that wanikani use automobile instead of car, it makes the Japanese 自動+車 (auto move + cart) easier to stick due to the shared “auto” part

9 Likes

We have the “AA” in the UK which stands for “Automobile Association”. Maybe you could note that as a potential reminder?

9 Likes

So would I ever want to use it over 車・くるま?

Well it’s in British dictionaries but sometimes listed as American. Even for things like “the automobile industry” press would say “the car industry” here, maybe “automotive industry.” I think most of us know “auto” and “automobile” passively but would always say “car.”

Oh wow, that never clicked, that’s great!

edit: messed up quotes

1 Like

No, くるま is the normal everyday word for car. The Japanese word for automobile industry is 自動車産業 though.

4 Likes

Oh, we’re not supposed to like the French, maybe that’s why! :upside_down_face:

Thanks.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t put it past you guys, since you already decided to drive on the wrong side of the road out of spite :upside_down_face:
Sorry, I’ll see myself out.

13 Likes

Funnily enough auto is the common Dutch word for car :smiley:

9 Likes

I’m just over here kinda shocked to learn that “automobile” is an Americanism. I’ll add this fact to my pile of useless knowledge.

15 Likes

It’s not particularly American, but it’s definitely
somewhat archaic in British English.

I’ve been doing some work on electric vehicles in japan and I see 自動車 a lot on everyday websites.

1 Like

it is not an americanism , its a french word

4 Likes

I’ve always thought of automobile as a generic term encompassing car, truck, van, etc. But people also use the term car generically and the internet doesn’t seem to agree with my view. So maybe I’ve just always been wrong. The Wikipedia article for car literally has automobile in parentheses. :thinking:

Also, I found this uhh, “non-English” Wikipedia page:

9 Likes

fun fact: In Czech we also say “automobil”. seems to be the “international” word

5 Likes

Fun fact: In Quebec french, we have 4 words for car. From least formal to most formal: char->auto->voiture->automobile

4 Likes

Sorry, off topic, but

2 Likes

Merciiii :grin:

1 Like

same in German. We say “Automobilindustrie” . so i also know the word “automobile”, but “automotive” is more common isnt it ?

3 Likes