結婚しても恋してる: Week 4 Discussion

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

結婚しても恋してる home thread

Week 4

Start date: September 7th
Previous Thread: Week 3
Next Thread: Week 5

Reading:

Week Pages Chapters
Week 4 10 かぜの日曜日 [5] (End of Ch 2), 会談#とは [1+2], 大人の対応 [2]

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :two_hearts:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

7 Likes

Welcome back :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you:3 :yellow_heart: I was really tired last week and busy, and I have 600+ reviews to kill only on WK help me, but now I’m almost back \o/

6 Likes

Ah, Shingo. The reason you’re in a meeting is because it’s a meeting. This is Japan. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Finally caught up with the past two weeks and finished the reading for this one as well now. :muscle:t2:

Shingo is so wholesome though, him dashing out of the office to check on his sick family. :sob::two_hearts:

5 Likes

He certainly is! So if I got this right on page 41, shin5 changed his name when he got married to his wife’s surname? I presume that’s quite unusual in Japan like it would be in the UK?

結婚する際に苗字を妻の姓の佐々木に。

結婚する際に - at the time of marrying
苗字 - surname
を - object marker
妻の姓の - wife’s surname + possessive particle
佐々木 - Sasaki
に - to
…and the verb “changed” is implied

“When he got married he changed his surname to his wife’s surname Sasaki.”

This seems to be confirmed when his boss speaks to him on page 45.

I filled in the vocab sheet as I went along. Hope that helps someone else :smiley:

4 Likes

Can I check my breakdown (with some help from ichi.moe) of this sentence on page 47:

カッコよくキメてる先輩と駅まで歩いていたときの

カッコ - appearance
よく - nicely
キメ - texture (of skin)
てる - to shine
先輩 - senpai
と - with
駅まで - to the station
歩いていた - were walking
とき - time
の - possessive particle
こと - thing

While walking to the station with senpai who is of nice appearance and shiny skin…

2 Likes

I doubt my interpretation’s good, but when I saw キメてる, I immediately connected it with 決め顔 which means posed look. (Not really sure about shiny skin hmmm :thinking:)

Basically this whole phrase says “cool” describing the 先輩

3 Likes

Kind of like this then - a キメてる人 :smiley: (link)

3 Likes

This is カッコいい as an adverb.

5 Likes

Thanks for that. It is confusing when a word is written in a mix of katakana and hiragana!

There’s a long (and sweet) block of text on page 44. Here is my attempt at translating:

妻と結婚する前に約束した7つのこと

7 things promised before I married my wife.

家族の会話、夫婦の会話を大切にする。

Family conversation, to make conversation between husband and wife important.

言いたいことは言う。ちゃんと伝える。

Say what you want to say. Tell it properly.

家事,育児は一緒にやる。やらないときは、一緒に休む。

We do the housework and childcare together. When it’s time to rest we rest together.

朝早く起きたほうが、朝ごはんを作る。

Whoever’s gets up first makes breakfast.

なにかをしてもらったら褒める。ちゃんと褒めてはらう。

If someone does something for you praise them. Show praise properly.

ケンカしたらお互いに言い合う。謝る。我慢しない。

Things like arguing and quarrelling with each other. Apologise. Don’t let it drag on.

いつでも帰ってこれるような家。家族にする。

A home you can always return to. Be a family.

3 Likes

The comma is functioning as “and” here, and 大切にする is an expression. My take is “Treasure family conversations and marital conversations.

When we fight, talk to each other (about it).

That’s an interpunct in the middle, not a full stop - again, functioning as “and”. “Make it a home and a family that we can always come home to.

4 Likes

That’s really helpful! Thanks @Belthazar!

1 Like

I just finished with this weeks pages a few hours ago and I have to say it is a nice manga. I’ve got the gist of as good as everything this time, so no need for breaking apart sentences. :smiley: Also a few bubbles where I didn’t need to look up stuff, yay.

5 Likes

I’m lost on why Haru didn’t want to give Shingo a goodbye kiss. It’s not a Japanese grammar question, but any insight?

As I read the 会議 chapter, I imagined the グローバルな会話 involved international partners from an American branch office. Thus, I had to fill in international conversation:

Screenshot

5 Likes

I’m just a cat so I have no idea how human relationships work, but my best guess is that Haru is not that happy with Shingo going to work on holidays and stuff, so maybe that’s why? Or she might feel that he’s being a bit pushy… not sure either.

2 Likes

This was my first thought as well, but I didn’t see anything indicating that it was a weekend/holiday. I don’t know if Haru still works, or if she’s a stay-at-home-mom, so I can’t use her staying home while Shingo leaves for work to judge that it’s a day off.

2 Likes

This is more speculation on my part, but many humans I’ve met tend to hold grudges for long periods of time, even in situations where I’d think it is uncalled for…

I am not 100% sure either, but the page with the family description seems to point that she’s a only a housewife now…

4 Likes

I was this close to reading that page, but I was on the bus and didn’t want to look up kanji. (Then I forgot about that page.) I’ll fail to take responsibility by blaming it on my low WaniKani level.

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

I really didn’t get it either. I definitely feel like I missed something. :sweat_smile: I’d also like to know if someone has another idea than she might be angry about him working too much.

I have finished this week’s reading and it is as warm and sweet as the previous ones. Also very thankful for both the vocab sheet and some of the breakdowns here. :smiley:

2 Likes