結婚しても恋してる: Week 3 Discussion

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

結婚しても恋してる home thread

Week 3

Start date: August 31st
Previous Thread: Week 2
Next Thread: Week 4

Reading:

Week Pages Chapters
Week 3 10 朝の決めごと [2+1] , ババの弱点 [2], 大人の階段 [1], 真似っこ [2], 涙の夜 [1], 休日出勤 [1]

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :two_hearts:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading this book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

I’m doing this for @FlamySerpent this week since she had a tiring day and deserves all the rest :yellow_heart:

8 Likes

Wow, so こうかはばつぐんだ‼ is how “It’s super effective!” is written in the Japanese version of Pokemon?

7 Likes

Googling suggests yes.

super%20effective

10 Likes

Thank you a lot, I totally forgot about the thread yesterday :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Okay! I finished it quite early :sweat_smile:

I just need confirmation if I actually understood the story well, so here…

1. On the opening panels, am I right thinking that Satoshi (the 4 year old child) is already Haru’s child from (probably) previous marriage?
  2. I’m confused about the 朝の決めごと chapter. The first panel says 妻と結婚する前 which means “Before I married my wife”. They say about whoever wakes up first makes the breakfast right? Then the wife tells everyone to wake up the husband first. Is that “everyone” their 3 children? Meaning they had their twin children even before they get married?

Thanks for those who’ll answer!

4 Likes

Yeah, Satoshi is from a previous marriage, but the twins are theirs together. There’s a six-year timeskip between the first panel and the second panel of the 朝の決めごと page. “Before I married my wife, we had an arrangement that whoever woke up first would make breakfast, but” (new panel, and now we’re in the present day) “lately, that rule has become a bit ambiguous.”

8 Likes

Oh I see! It didnt occur to me that that 最近 actually occurs after the marriage already.

Thank you!!

4 Likes

Hmmm I am also not sure I figured out the story in 朝の決めごと…

So, the story starts saying that originally the rule was that the one that woke up earlier would make breakfast. Then Haru tells the children to wake up Papa first (so that he makes breakfast, I imagine). Until then I think I get it.

Then (I think) Haru says… “先に起きてくれると嬉しいな~” before going to sleep. Is she (sarcastically) wishing the children woke her up first?

Then there are voices in a dark panel asking someone to wake up… presumably, the children’s voices. The next panel makes it more confusing, since Haru is waking up Papa with a frying pan. My best guess is that the children actually woke up Haru (or they failed to woke up Papa?) so Haru ended up waking up first and making breakfast (and she’s annoyed by that, that’s why she’s waking him up in a noisy fashion?)

Any clarifications are appreciated!

2 Likes

No, it’s “if you were to wake up first, that’d make me happy” - ~てくれる = for my benefit, as a favour to me.

It’s the wife in the dark panel too - the kids don’t show up until the next page, despite the similar topic. To be clear, she’s saying “go ahead and wake up first”, but what she means is “go and make us breakfast”. That she’s clearly gotten up and gone to the kitchen and back is kinda the joke.

9 Likes

I have 4 pages left to read, but will tackle them tomorrow. I have to say this manga feels easier than Chi’s Sweet Home, or maybe I’ve just gotten better. I noticed that when I reread the earlier chapters it helped me with understanding the sentences better. Also everything said above in the spoilers helped immensely, too. Made a few things more clear.

Some questions, though:
I don’t really know how to parse もう10歳か… つないだその手は双子の姉弟よりしっかりしてい, also is the もうどこかおとなを感じさせる from the panel below still part of that one sentence? My general guess would be “He’s already 10 and his hand grip is stronger than of the twins, it feels/makes me feel more adult”
How should I approach big sentences like these where I can’t really make a lot of sense of it?

ともだちきたら即離す means “Let go off my hand immediately when a friend comes”, right?

こころの成長速度見誤ってた - Is this “I’ve misjudged the growth rate of a heart?” Though 成長 also has meaning of growing up/becoming an adult, but then I’d fail to see where the heart comes in.

I hope it’s not too much to ask, I usually try to understand as much as possible on my own, but hitting my limit here.

4 Likes

My best translation would be “He’s already 10 years old huh… This hand connected with me (?) is much more dependable than the twins. Somewhere, there’s the feeling of him being an adult”

I think he refers when Satoshi says that he’d prefer holding hands with a girl.

7 Likes

I agree with @ren_grantz interpretation. おとなを感じさせる is using the causative form of the verb 感じる, and since the (implied) topic of Papa’s thoughts is Satoshi and not himself, the thing that gives the feel of an adult has to be Satoshi and not Papa.

Hmmm… I’m not very confident, but my interpretation was that Satoshi was saying he’d let go of Papa’s hand if a friend came. If he was asking Papa to let go I would kind of expect him to use “離して” or something along those lines instead. I might be wrong though.

Maybe it helps to think that こころ also means mind, his mental side. こころの成長, thus, is his mental growth, his maturity in a psychological sense. As @ren_grantz pointed out, this seems to be referring to the fact that Satoshi is already showing interest in girls.

6 Likes

Thanks for the grammar explanations and hints. It makes a lot more sense this way.
I really need to study grammar more.

Wow. It blows my mind how obvious the meaning of this seems to be… now that I look at it as mind の growth, but actually isn’t at all in a new language (or maybe it’s just me). :sweat_smile:

Thanks to both of you. That shed a bright light on these sentences! <3

5 Likes

I can’t talk for everyone, but I am always happy to see people asking questions here in the book club threads. Many times when I see someone else’s questions I discover there were other interpretations I hadn’t thought of that make more sense than mine. Sometimes when attempting to answer questions I also discover that I don’t really understand why something means what I think it means. Many times I have to re-read grammar explanations to check that an answer I am trying to give actually makes sense, and it helps reinforce my own knowledge.

I think it is a win-win situation for everyone, the one asking the question, the ones answering the questions, and the ones reading the thread.

11 Likes

I agree! I love reading the thread and seeing all of the grammar explanations. Sometimes I don’t even realize my initial thoughts were way off until I read the translations suggested on here.

4 Likes

Really enjoying this! Thanks for all the contributions this week which have been really helpful.

Page 30

寝たよりじゃない?

寝た - slept
より - except, other than (Jisho meaning 3)
じゃない - not

Perhaps: He’s not really asleep is he?

パパのパソコンで遊ぼっかー
Something to do with playing on Dad’s computer but I’ve got no idea what’s going on at the end of the sentence (and nor does ichi.moe). Any ideas?

2 Likes

I believe this one is a typo. My version says 寝たふりじゃない Isn’t he pretending to sleep?.

In my understanding this is a colloquial contraction of the (volitional) form of the verb (遊ぼう) + か particle for asking a question. Shall we play on Dad’s computer?

5 Likes

I parsed it like this:
もう - already
10歳 - 10 years old
か… yes?
つないだ - plain past of 繋ぐ = “connected”
その手 - it’s either “that hand” or “that kind of, that way
は - topic marker
双子 - twins
の - possessive particle
姉弟 - siblings (this wasn’t in Jisho and is normally written as 兄弟 - perhaps these kanji imply that his siblings are a younger brother and a younger sister?)
より - more than
しっかり - tightly
していて - is doing

He’s already ten years old… that connected hand is doing more tightly than his (twin) siblings

or - He’s already ten years old… his grip is tighter than the twins.

4 Likes

Exactly! The 兄妹 (older brother + younger sister) combination also exists.

jisho does have them both, by the way…

3 Likes

Aargh! Sorry, doing badly on the typos tonight! Thanks for your help both of you!

Thanks for correcting より to ふり = pretence (He’s pretending to be asleep, isn’t he?)

Now you found 姉弟 in Jisho but that was another typo (!) the original was 妹弟 which I still can’t see on Jisho, but anyway the meaning is clear, and luckily the book gave us the furigana きょうだい to help us :slight_smile:

3 Likes