結婚しても恋してる Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Nice nice :slight_smile: sounds good, yeah I am down for August book :slight_smile:

I am currently probably at around half of Genki1 and probably would be level 10 or 11 on WK by the time we start reading the book, do you think that should be enough?

2 Likes

You will be quite light on grammar knowledge for tackling native material. You could definitely enjoy reading along though, as long as you plan to just get a sense of the story rather than trying to understand every bit of every sentence.

It would help if you could push on with Genki before the book club starts. If you can get through the chapters 6-9 (て form, ている, short form, and past tense short forms) you’ll be in a better place to follow what’s going on.

3 Likes

I can do that :slight_smile: I am about to finish chapter 7 right now, so yeah I think I can manage to get to 9 before we start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yay! I too, may have a traitor hand which clicked "add all to cart":smile:

10 Likes

Need to start some grammar aswell then since i am lvl 1 :smiley: (went back to 1 cause i had 100+reviews after a long break).

1 Like

The Genki I book club just started two days ago (we’re in chapter 1 and planning to do 1 chapter per week). If you already have Genki this is the perfect time to join.

4 Likes

Got my book as well today. Can’t wait to start :smile:

5 Likes

Has anyone been able to find this ebook on amazon(us)? I have my shopping set to global but it always takes me to amazon Japan and doesn’t recognize my US account.

You need a separate account for Amazon Japan. For whatever reason they are completely separate from one another.

2 Likes

Yeah, I created an account for amazon.co.jp and then they said they couldn’t send the ebook to me in the US. Perhaps because my shipping address is in the US? Frustrating!

1 Like

You have to set a Japanese address and a Japanese region/address in the digital/ebook section. Even then, after a few purchases amazon will yell at you unless you use a VPN. There are guides floating around here somewhere.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your help! After an hour of trying to figure it out, I gave up and just bought an ebook online version I can access on my Google Chrome browser. I did talk to Amazon customer service and they’re going to put in a request that this sort of book be available to other than Amazon Japan users.

And you have to register the Kindle to the Japanese account so it can be ‘delivered’.

1 Like

Thank you, that is actually a great tip! I live in Portland OR and went to our local Kinokuniya today, and they can order any of these books so I think I might go that route in the future. But I do appreciate the tip (and maybe others reading this will find it helpful too!)

1 Like

Aye, I ordered them all from my local Kinokuniya too. Working out how to get them on the Kindle sounds absolutely tedious.

Plus, I’ve still got an ancient Kindle DX, which does not do images extremely well…

1 Like

Hi all – first time poster here. Excited to join this readalong. Hope it will be help increase my knowledge!

4 Likes

Nice avatar! Is that you?

Welcome to the club!

1 Like

Thank you and thank you! Yep it’s me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quick question before we begin.
I intend to read on ipad, in order to be able to annote the sentences directly in the ebook (with the pencil).
What app would you guys recommend for this?
(i should be lvl 4 by the time we start the reading yeeah)

ps : the main issue here is with the epub format as apparently there is no concept of pages.
So i would first need to get the book in pdf (don’t know if any of the listed sources provide pdf format) or convert it myself (don’t know a good epub to pdf converter either).
When i get the pdf it’s easy as i already have the app i need.

ps2: found some app on ipad that may allow me to read the things like i want to.
Not sure i can download the books as epub from the websites provided though, can anybody confirm please?
Anyway some guidance is needed here :slight_smile:

Usually you don’t get to download any sort of file for ebookjapan and BookWalker (I don’t know about the other websites), you only have the book on your account and can access it via browser or apps. But it might be different for kindle, I don’t know.

And usually epub format for manga has the proper pages, as it’s just pictures, which means there is no way to resize or rearrange anything, so it should look pretty much like the physical book. But pictures also means no text highlighting and so on. Also, no application I know of has a feature to draw on the pages directly. But screenshotting and then drawing on those screenshots actually works well (you just need to keep them organized), and that should also be possible when you buy the manga in an app like the bookwalker app.

For an epub download, I only know that if you buy something on iBooks, you get the epub (and can probably convert it into a pdf with another application), but that requires a Japanese Apple ID which is kind of annoying to set up…

1 Like