涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱: Week 7 Discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club Here!

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread

Chapter 2 (4/4)/Chapter 3 (1/3)

Suzumiya

Start Date: August 10th
Previous Thread:Week 6
Next Thread: Week 8

Week 7 Reading: Chapter 2 (4/4)/Chapter 3 (1/3)
Until p.111 (これで長門がいなかったら笑ってやる。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud Sessions

Right now we have two teams reading at different times.
Team West - Saturdays @various times (see spreadsheet)
Team Japan - TBD

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

Just finished the last four pages of chapter 2 and, indeed, nothing bad happens.
In fact, I will be so bold as to say that I did find キョン’s description of ハルヒ’s probable behavior quite funny.
Crossing my fingers for the rest of this week’s reading.

5 Likes

PLOT

I’m not sure if it’s just because my 具合 is a bit 悪い, or because I was reading somewhat uncomfortably outside, but I had a harder time with this. There did seem to be an unusual number of words that I didn’t know.

2 Likes

I read this part a tiny bit(about 90 minutes) early because I’ll be going away for a short while and that means I can take one less book with me :slight_smile:

Yay for (maybe) interesting stuff finally starting to happen. And that doesn’t seem like it’d be the best method for arranging a meeting with someone.

And for something completely unrelated, it was nice to see a couple words I learned from SAO show up in this week’s reading

3 Likes

but which ones tho

2 Likes

I think I know which method you mean, even though I’m weeks behind. Haha. Totally agree.

1 Like

I don’t actually know if I can name that many from memory, but I know 称号 and 追随 were two of them. It was more thinking “oh, I also saw that in SAO a couple of times” and being able to understand them than actually being able to consioucly recall which ones now that I’ve stopped reading though.

3 Likes
I have a question

I don’t understand this sentence:

百人いれば百人ともが頭に思い浮かべる疑問だ。

I feel like it might be an expression but I couldn’t find it. What I did find was 百人いれば百通りの考え方がある so I thought maybe it’s a play on that? Like “a 100 people would have a 100 ways of thinking”->“Even if there were a 100 people they would all think of that question”. Also not entirely sure that’s the correct meaning for 思い浮かべる.

I did not expect to read about フェルマーの最終定理 in Japanese any time soon :stuck_out_tongue: It took me a moment to realize what フェルマー was until I saw what came after.

I actually enjoyed the reading for this week. Nothing resembling sexual abuse really helps i guess. But even then the addition of the new student and everyone’s reactions, including how キョン described it all was entertaining. And the end was my favorite part by far with all the mysterious 有希 business. Even キョン is aware that it seems extremely inconvenient and unnecessary so I’m hoping there is a satisfying explanation.

Oh, and I’m pretty sure we talked in the past about ハルヒ answering to キョン’s “thoughts” or narration, but I think this time I spotted 有希 doing the same.

I read the whole thing today :open_mouth:. Not in one go but still in a relatively short amount of time. It amazes me how speed seems to increase exponentially as we advance through a book. Week 1 it was a nightmare just getting through one paragraph. The past weeks were probably a lot easier that the beginning but still, feels nice.

2 Likes

I interpreted it the exact same way :slight_smile:

I actually didn’t remember this scene until it was happening. Right before I read the part where he started wondering if she was waiting in the park every night I remembered him thinking the same thing in the show.

I don’t remember exactly what it is she tells him, either, so even I am in a little suspense?

1 Like