毎月 Reading order should be switched

The first reading shown is "まいげつ”, which I only now found out is pretty much never used.
The second reading "まいつき” is what’s commonly used.

Unless a person is making sure to follow the reading in each voice clip (assuming that’s usually the common one for each vocab too…), a person will generally learn the first reading as their “go-to”. And in this case, that just makes it harder to learn the months because it’s yet another “is it げつ or がつ” situation instead of the consistent easier to remember つき.

Was any forethought put into the reading order for WaniKani or should we never assume the first reading is the most common? In which case I guess this point would be moot, but it would be nice if they changed this one at least.

Does anyone else have other examples of where the first presented reading for a vocab isn’t commonly used?

6 Likes

If you email them they might change it. They have changed things like this before.

Where did you find out it’s rarely used?

The jisho entry lists it as the main form, but jisho isn’t always the most trustworthy.

This guy also says more people say まいつき and is probably more trustworthy

Also, according to the google search definition, まいげつ just links to まいつき, implying まいつき is the more commonly used

2 Likes

Fair enough. Just with all the ‘My Japanese friend says’ posts on here, I’m a little suspicious without citation.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t doubt that some parts of japan may say まいげつ or anything like that, but まいつき seems like the more common one. It’s good to be skeptical, though, and for future reference you can just look up X 読み方 to find out the more common way to read X.

EDIT: Sorta misread the original post saying まいげつ is rarely used. As for that…I suppose every source saying まいつき kinda backs that up, but I have no idea as to the actual frequency of まいげつ

2 Likes

Yeah, all the results I’ve found from native speakers talking about it says they pretty much never hear まいげつ being used except in the context of a term like 毎月抄, which I’m not even sure how to use yet.

Yeah this is the one exception, but I would put money on most people not ever coming across that lol.

I guess after looking around a bit, (apart from an old poem it’s related to or perhaps spawned from) sometimes print media uses the term for a “monthly excerpt” they publish, but yeah, search results for it seem to indicate it’s a pretty uncommon term.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.