時をかける少女: Week 7 Discussion (Chapters 10 and 11)

not that old yet, hehe. “middle-aged”

4 Likes

そうかい

6 Likes

Almost read a chapter without issue… So close~
Kadokawa Page 56
「ぼくを信用してくれたというわけなんだね。」
Would the translation “This is based off of what I was trusted with”? I’m struggling with という and わけ here. I’ve been kind of freestyling という this whole time :man_shrugging:
-------Now I’m more confused, 福島先生 said that!? Is this speaking order correct? 「ふうん」(福島先生)「だいぶ…」(福島先生)「そうなんです」(一夫)「ぼくを…」(福島先生)「ありがとう…」(一夫)

Page 57
和子は福島のようすを、じっと、すがりつくような目でながめながら、いても立ってもいられない気持ちだった。
With eyes like she was clinging on to something? --Writing this out just triggered something else, would this be translated as “desperate”, because she’s clinging onto him believing the story, or depending on him to?

Thanks~ more tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes

“Because you trusted me (with this)” is probably how I’d go but I don’t have the book in front of me.
Also can’t tell you who is saying what line by line for that reason, but an easy cheat here is the formality level. The kids are all using teineigo because they’re talking to sensei. Sensei is not.

Sure.

1 Like

“So that means you trust me, right”.
というわけ is used to give an explanation. Whatever the other said gave reasons to the speaker to feel that they are being trusted/believed.

10 Likes

Yeah that’s a better way to put it. I guess I was kind of jumping ahead to what was implied by it.

1 Like

That’s a good check, I’ll try and use that :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you~~ I’ll look at that specific structure

1 Like

Yes, this is the right order.

1 Like

Thanks~ I think I’m finally getting better at this speech order thingo :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Follow up question to this. What is the role (pun intended) of として in this sentence? It doesn’t seem like the usage I’m used to (“as a [blank]” / “in the role of [blank]”) in this case with その前の段階として.

Also, small question on page 66.
つまり、自分たちの知っている科学では理解できないような事件が起こってると、…

Does 自分たち here refer specifically to the three kids, or does it mean people in general?

As for the chapters themselves. Both were pretty easy. Even the sciency stuff in chapter 11 was mostly fine. Though I don’t quite buy that the teacher would believe them so easily. Also, I totally did not understand any of the name drops or references at the end of the chapter, other than what I assume was the Bermuda Triangle.

2 Likes

For me it seems like that usage. 科学が発展していくためには (in order for science to develop) つねに不確実な、ふしぎな現象がなければならない (there needs to be some mysterious unexplained phenomenon). The existence of that phenomenon itself acts as the 前の段階, the previous phase necessary for the advancement of science.

I would assume it means people in general, or just no one in particular.

5 Likes

Me neither, but since someone talked about it in the thread, I just Wikipedia’d him. He is an UFOlogist.

Why are none of my ‘watching’ threads flagging me anymore! Aaaah!

3 Likes

I also do not get notifications for that. I assume a Discourse update broke something—again.

Me neither. Looks like Discourse is having some issues… I didn’t even get a notification for that response from Nath even though it was from an hour and a half ago.

1 Like

They are still coming. I got one recently from a reply that happened yesterday.

1 Like

Yeah I just suddenly started getting a bunch, some from hours ago.

2 Likes

You guys really didn’t ask many questions last week… never fear, I am hear to fix that for you now!

All from Chapter 10, Tsubasa Bunko edition.

Page 59 (first page of chapter)

近所の人たちが事故現場へかけつけてゆく。

Just wondering what extra nuance the ゆく at the end there is bringing? I’m assuming it’s 行く…

Page 61

黒板の字を頭に入れようと努力してにらみつけながら、和子はそう思った。

…?! Okay, I get something about the letters on the blackboard entering her head (I assuming it’s similar to saying things like “I didn’t take that in” in English), but I don’t get any of ようと努力してにらみつけ.

ほかの先生が話を横で聞いておもしろがり、じょうだんをとばしたりまぜっかえしたりすると、落ちついて相談することができない。

Not totally certain what がり means, and then no idea what まぜっかえす means?

Page 62

先生は、和子と五郎の顔を見て、おとくいの、あのニヤニヤ笑いをしてみせた。

What does おとくいの mean here? I’m guessing it’s とくい plus an honorific お and the possessive の…

Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll have questions from chapter 11 too :wink:

2 Likes

It is 行く, but I don’t think it adds any important nuance, other than it sounds cool (at least in my opinion).

It’s kind of hard to break it down, but you can see that 入れる is in the volitional (入れよう). volitional + とする is a construction that means “to try to […]”. This is not a clean cut example of that, but the meaning is close: she is glaring at the blackboard and making an effort (努力する + 睨みつける) to try and get the stuff into her head.

がる is something that is sometimes attached to adjectives. From my dictionary:

そのように思う、そう感じる、の意を表す。

Or on jisho. I don’t really have that much experience in how this is used, but in this case there is a whole entry on jisho for it: 面白がる

It’s actually the same as まぜかえす. Just like when ばかり becomes ばっかり, probably.

It’s お得意:
その人が得意とする技芸などを敬意を込めて、また、丁寧にいう語。また、それをからかっていう語。

In other words, it’s kind of like his “trademark” ニヤニヤ笑い, I guess. As is often the case with words using お or ご, this can have a nuance of mocking (As in the dictionary definition, また、それをからかっていう語).

9 Likes

Just to add to that, I think I’ve learnt がる as an assumption on a third party’s feelings or wants. So it would mean that the narrator things the other teachers are interested or find what’s going on interesting (I think that’s in that scene, haven’t got the book open right now.)

5 Likes