時をかける少女: Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 4 and 5)

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

時をかける少女 home thread

Chapters 4 and 5: 夢と現実のあいだ/きのうやった問題

51lR3HyQf4L

Start Date: December 15th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 3
Next Chapters: Chapters 6 and 7

Vocabulary List

Floflo

Pre-learn the vocabulary in the book here:

https://floflo.moe/toki-wo-kakeru-shoujo-tsubasa-bunko-ed/

Vocab Sheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

6 Likes

Shouldn’t Chapter 5 be “きのうやった問題”? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think I need to work on my copy-and-paste fu.

6 Likes

We’re gonna leap through time in the middle, and experience chapter 4 twice over.

10 Likes

Count me in

5 Likes

First time I notice there’s a poll in these threads :sweat_smile:

I don’t even know what to mark, I’m not reading but I comment stuff

3 Likes

That happened to me in the past (the first two books I read with this book club, I finished before the reading even started).

In those cases, I feel like “no longer reading the book” makes the most sense.

2 Likes

:thinking: That’s what I thought, guess it’s decided then

1 Like

Because you already read it? It’s really intended to let everyone know how many people are actively participating. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, a year or so ago, so I just happened to have the book and see the club :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Nice, it’s great to have you helping out. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

chapter 5

一夫はからだをしゃんとさせ、少し大声できっぱりといった。

Kazuo straightened his body and said clearly in a little loud voice.

Is させ the masu stem of causative form of する? Why the causative form is used here? Kazuko’s words made him straighten his body?

Yes, it’s the causative form of する. Kazuo is させる-ing his からだ to straighten, so it’s a conscious action versus his body straightening on its own.

Btw, should we be spoiler-tagging the Japanese text as well as our translations/explanations?

3 Likes

I would think “reading along” would be more suitable because you are actively participating in discussion, whereas “no longer reading” makes me think anyone who marks that has dropped out.

Although you did clarify in the comments and are pretty active in the thread so it doesn’t really matter.

3 Likes

Don’t overdo that spoilering please. It would be nice to see what a comment is about without having to unblur half a book.

3 Likes

Oh my. I barely got out of bed, and people are already asking questions :scream:
I think I need to ramp up my reading today…

1 Like

Don’t worry, I’m like half a chapter behind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve read very little of the preceding stuff, but I’m jumping in with this anyhow. How do I make text blurry to avoid spoilers? It seems fancy! Does it work on phones as well as computers (I have both, just curious)

Type [ spoiler] text text [/ spoiler] without the spaces.

You can also hit the little settings button on your post and then click ‘blur spoiler’

1 Like

test first way
Second way

This text will be blurred

Woahhhh
Thanks, @QuackingShoe