時をかける少女: Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 4 and 5)

Yeah, I used to have serious problems with だけ whenever it didn’t mean “only” too :sweat_smile:

It’s funny how both meanings seem contradictory at first, but then you realize they’re actually not.

1 Like

Chapter 5 was nice and easy. I read through those 5 pages in record time (like an hour and a half or less) and one page I even read straight through without looking anything up. :tada:

No questions this time, but I do have one observation. It seems like even though characters address each other using their last names, the narrator uses their first names. I doubt it means anything, but I still found it interesting.

10 Likes

Yeah, I looked up the least amount of words so far getting through that chapter. I wasn’t sure if it was because I understood a lot or just because I was just a little impatient trying to get through it, but hopefully I got the correct meaning.

Now I just have to catch up with the latest chapter of Aria.

6 Likes

Thanks both! That makes a lot more sense ^^

This! :blush: it’s probably a case of the simple English translation not fitting so naturally across all usages in Japanese.

I powered through most of chapter 4 last night, so hopefully gonna get on to chapter 5 and find it as easy as everyone else seems to have :grin: I always worry that my brain has actually just switched off when I read straight through something…

5 Likes

In chapter 5, page 31 of the Tsubasa Bunko version, we have the sentence:

ぼくが覚えていないのに、君がぼくに会ったなんていうもんだから、ぼくは自分が夢遊病にでもかかったのかと思ってびっくりしたぜ。

To me, this is saying something like “even though I don’t remember it, since you said you saw me, I was surprised and thought I was sleepwalking or something.” 一夫 then goes on to give a “but that’s not the case” because he doesn’t have pajamas.

Does that sound right? I’m also not sure what meaning the もん and かかった are providing exactly.

2 Likes

I interpreted もん as もの: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

indicates reason or excuse

Not to sure there though, since I’m used to seeing もん・もの at the end of a sentence.

かかる could be 罹る: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

to contract (a disease); to suffer from

Either way, I more or less agree with your translation.

4 Likes

It’s not just もの, it’s というものだ, which is also used to give a reason (or an explanation). I guess it doesn’t matter much though.

I didn’t know the kanji for かかる, nice find!

3 Likes

How is it Thursday already, I still have to read chapter 5 :open_mouth:
It sounds like it’s an easy one though

5 Likes

Bunpro gives the meaning of というものだ as " Speaker’s impression, criticism, or conclusion", so there is a subtle difference. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks! I hadn’t seen that meaning for かかる before.

1 Like

I just finished chapter five, and I like where things are going story-wise. The chapter had a few longer sentences that took some re-reading to fully understand, and there’s a couple I might post if no one else does (mostly the 四苦八苦 sentence).

1 Like

Just post your questions now :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m going to feel duuuumb though, but okay

しかもその問題は、きのうのやはりこの時間に小松先生が黒板に書き、名を呼ばれて教壇に立った和子が、四苦八苦しながらやっと解いた問題なのだ。

和子 is talking about how she thinks they did these math problems yesterday. This sentence sounds like "Furthermore, at this time yesterday, 小松先生 wrote that problem on the board, and 和子, who was called up to teach/solve it, had a lot of trouble with it (while having a lot of trouble with it) and solved it in the end.

I know that’s kind of a gross translation, but that’s mostly what I got out of it. I’m not sure how literally to read 教壇に立った, though.

3 Likes

Looks like you got it. Was there a part you’re still confused on?

1 Like

Actually, writing it out here helped a lot. :smile: But one definition I see for 教壇に立つ is “to stand at a podium” so I wasn’t sure if it was trying to say she went up to the teacher’s podium for the problem, or if she taught/solved it, since another definition says “to teach.”

1 Like

I think it’s that she was called up and stood at the podium.

3 Likes
spoilers?

I think 教壇 is referring to this thing on the floor that you stand on, rather than the thing facing the class that you stand behind, if that helps

8 Likes

Yeah. Also I’d say the core of the sentence is その問題は、きのうの〜〜解いた問題なんだ.
“That problem is THAT” problem with everything else just defining the problem.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d be more inclined to call a 壇 a stage or dais.

4 Likes

That makes more sense. So she’s not standing at a teacher’s podium that would be facing the class, but one that’s in line with the board so she can actually do the problem.

2 Likes