時をかける少女: Week 3 Discussion (Chapter 3)

On page 19 of the Tsubasa Bunko version (first page of the chapter), there’s this sentence:
そして、こんなことになった原因は、和子は、実験室でかいだあのラベンダーのかおりのせいだと思っていた。

A lot has been discussed about this sentence, but not the part I’m confused by. I can’t figure out what かいだ is in the middle of this sentence. It seems like で is the particle attached to 実験室, but then I can’t find any meaning for かいだ. Am I missing something obvious here?

Well, I guess I finally figured it out as I was typing the question… かいだ = 嗅いだ. Is the lack of kanji going to be a pain for me this whole book? :cry:

Beginning of page 23 Tsubasa Bunko version:
その夜、和子が眠ったのは、けっきょく朝方の三時すぎだった。

I just wanted to double check that this basically means that when she finally got to sleep it was after three in the morning.

Also, I’m not really sure what subtle meaning けっきょく adds here. It seems to me like the sentence would mean more or less the same thing with or without it.

1 Like

Yup, that’s my interpretation too :slightly_smiling_face:

I think this is a Japanese thing. Like how they use だろう/でしょう after using きっと sometimes, as in:

明日は、きっと晴れるでしょう。

It’s not necessary, but maybe it sounds better or something, is what I’m saying.

1 Like

Don’t cry! I failed to spot the exact same word in the previous chapter (cunningly disguised as かがして) but everything else has resolved itself as I’ve reread the sentence.

By the time she finally got to sleep…

5 Likes

Thanks, makes sense!

I treat 結局 like “in the end” in most cases.

2 Likes

Chapters 4 and 5 are here!

3 Likes

I did the double-take.
“It’s a race.”
“Carton?”
“oh, curtain.”

I hope I can catch up to the current week soon.

7 Likes

How is that the same word? :frowning:

嗅ぐ…
Not the same conjugation, but the same stem
It would be a lot more obvious if both words used the kanji!!

1 Like

What’s the conjugation mean? I don’t think I’ve learned it before

Sorry, it took me a while to find…

4 Likes

Hey, I was just doing that. Leebo’d :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Shortened causative :thinking:

So it’s the same as 嗅がせる?

That means normal causative is like the potential form of the shortened causative form :exploding_head:

1 Like

Wow, I guess that actually works :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hey, another lace curtain, what a coincidence :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Illustration for chapter 3 from the Tsubasa Bunko edition.

This one contains spoilers so don’t look if you haven’t completed the chapter yet.

Summary

4 Likes

Maybe it’s better to put the pictures under a summary tag because, at least with this one, if you so much as hover over the post, you can can what it is :upside_down_face: Or maybe it’s because I know what it is :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah, good idea. It’s very clear if you hover!

1 Like

あははははははははははははははは:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

ahahahahahahaha! if they didn’t crash and fall to the ground all the time (or crash and be saved from falling by a quick arm around the waist, or crash and fall right on each others’ lips) in anime and in japanese and korean dramas, stories upon stories wouldn’t be able to move forward!

4 Likes