時をかける少女: Week 3 Discussion (Chapter 3)

People write books in not-Japanese??? 何か。。。全然知らなかったんっすよ。

6 Likes

They do, but they’re all translations (obviously).

7 Likes

Translations from the original Klingon.

9 Likes

3 Likes

00a3628eaea04f3683a8e508cf253db8

6 Likes

Very helpful—thank you

That’s how I took it as well. (Haven’t read past this post yet, so no idea if anyone agreed or disagreed with this.)

Just a reminder to everyone, starting with week 4 we will be reading two chapters per week. Don’t worry though! We already had a week where we read 7 pages. Week 4 is just 9 pages, and it never goes over 11 pages in a week.

I’m still planning to have just one discussion topic per week (hence why this thread is titled “week 3” and not “chapter 3”). I think when we had two discussion topics open at the same time for のんのんびより it was a bit confusing.

8 Likes

As in week 4 (this Saturday) we will be starting chapters 4 and 5. It’s all in the schedule. :wink:

Yes, that’s what confused me (schedule says tomorrow, but “next week” didn’t seem to match that).

That clears it up.

1 Like

Kadokawa Page 22
朝食もそこそこに、かの女は家をとび出した。
Just wanted to quickly check on something. Is she eating as she’s leaving? I assume it would be 食べながら、but I wanted to check I’m not missing something

I interpreted it as her leaving after eating hurriedly because of a lack of ながら or anything similar, but not sure on that.

Edit: I was half-expecting (and kind of hoping) when I saw the word 朝食 that she was going to run out of the house with パン in her mouth, thinking this might have been where that trope started lol.:sweat_smile: Sadly, I was disappointed.:neutral_face:

6 Likes

That sentence is almost the same as this sample sentence:
朝飯もそこそこに飛び出した. I rushed out after a hasty breakfast.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say I think this is a good call. Particularly as the number of pages isn’t wildly longer than we’ve been tackling (and hopefully we’ll have fewer questions as we go???), I don’t think there’s much reason to believe it will somehow be difficult to follow the discussion in one thread.

I guess people should be extra careful of spoilers though, particularly given the cliffhanger-y nature of the book.

@xarde I interpreted it this way as well - そこそこ can mean ‘having barely finished’, so I think the implication is definitely that she has eaten. “Having barely finished eating breakfast, she rushed out of the house.”

7 Likes

I can confirm that もそこそこに is a grammar point used for exactly that, as in, the second action is started as soon as the first ends, and it gives off the nuance that these things were rushed (not done properly). From weblio.jp:

(「…もそこそこに」の形で)前の動作を終わるか終わらないかのうちに次の動作に移るさま。急いで、またはいいかげんに物事をするさま。 「挨拶も-にでかける」

10 Likes

I just ordered the book today. I suspect it will be a while before I get around to it, but I look forward to going back to these threads when I do.

4 Likes

Phew, last question and I’ll be caught up just in time
Kadokawa Page 23
それは和子のからだから、三メートルと離れていなかった。
What is と doing here? I originally understood it as the truck was 3 metres away from where Kazuko had fallen but 離れる is negative. I can’t find anything about it online…

I checked the dictionary and it looks like, after quantities, it means “not more than” or something along these lines:

(数量を表す語に付き、打消しの表現を伴って)その範囲以上には出ない意を表す。…までも。

6 Likes

Ahh, that makes sense. And presumably has to go with a negative like も and しか.

On a side note, how do you find these? Kotobank doesn’t seem to list it, and I couldn’t find it on Weblio. Edit: Strike that, I found it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You already found it, but I’m going to leave this here anyway in case you’re interested. I bought the デジタル大辞泉 on Microsoft Store, I think it’s a really good dictionary and I basically use it all the time for vocabulary and grammar. Do not regret it one bit.

4 Likes