時をかける少女: Week 3 Discussion (Chapter 3)

That’s how I read it for the first two.

“One could probably call it a conviction” is how I would phrase it, but your the native English speaker here.
いいだろう brings the idea that it’s most like fine == the “probably” in our translations.

三日後 if written in kanji. Does that help? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yup, that’s how I took it too.

Again, I agree with what you came up with, but in more useful English and fitting to what’s happening, it’ll be something like:

‘These problems seem to be more mental than physical.’

the もいいだろう is ‘It’s okay to…’, so like みてもいいだろう。(It’s okay to watch). So your ‘translation’ is probably quite good.

のち isn’t the の particle and then ち, but のち, which means after or later, so essentially it’s simply saying: After three days.

Hope that helps, but to all the more experienced readers, please do correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

You are both wonderful people :grin:

How have I never come across this before?!

Cool, thanks! Haha, yes, that was my “trying to fit all the words to the Japanese” attempt rather than a sentence that sounded in any way good in English :joy:

Does anybody know what the ミキミキ onomatopoeia on page 20 actually means, by the way (へやの柱がミキミキと鳴った)? That was the only bit that tripped me up on that page.

1 Like

By the way, it would never be written in kanji, since people would confuse it with 三日, which is a word in itself.
のち is only written in kanji in the case of 後程のちほど and のちに as far as I know…

3 Likes

Just want to take a moment to say that といっても functions like “even if (one) says that” and といってもいい functions like “(one) could even say/(one) could even call it.” This is related to the previous sentence, which I can’t quote directly because I don’t have the book with me, but she says that she believes the cause is what she smelled in the lab, and this sentence is emphasizing that she more than belives it, she’s certain. So it’s like, “she believed the cause was that lavender smell. She was convinced, even.”

Wanted to throw that out there because this author uses といっても a lot so it seems worth understanding.

11 Likes

Ah, that’s useful, thank you. I realised the meaning from context (as you say), but that was almost what was confusing me. We’d just encountered といっても earlier that page, and I was approaching it from the assumption that it must play exactly the same role here, but then that didn’t quite fit with what I knew the sentence must mean… if that makes any sense :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I just read the first two pages of the chapter, and the discussion here has helped a lot with understanding those couple tricky sentences towards the beginning.

I was wondering about ミキミキ as well, from page 20 during the earthquake. Upon searching I’m mostly seeing results on girls and vocaloids. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not having any luck looking it up, but it sounds like creaking to me :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I agree. When saying it in my head, that’s probably the first word that comes to mind to describe it. I’ve been wrong with onomatopoeia before, though. :thinking:

1 Like

I also thought so.
My first google result says 関節が鳴る音, so that should be fine.

I’d share the link, but when I click on it, there’s a warning saying that I have to be 18+ to see the content, which scares me.

8 Likes

I think we worry about onomatopoeia too much because they’re a bit more codified in Japanese than in English. And sometimes they’re vital to understanding a sentence. But I think it’s worth noting that there are… sort of two types of onomatopeia. Or, two ways to use them. I’m going to use English for the example.

“I whacked him.”
Ignoring mob-related killings, this means to stike someone. The word whack is based on the sound it makes when you hit someone, but that’s really not important here - it’s functioning as it’s own word, and you need to know the word to understand the sentence. Japanese does this a lot. You can ドキドキする and ニコニコ and こっそりと近づく and such.

However, there’s also just sounds that are sounds. “The blow landed with a whack!” is an example. In this case, it’s just the sound effect. You understand what it is, because the sentence basically defines it for you. I don’t think we need to worry about these - even when they’re the same words - as much as the former, but I see people worry about them a lot. I especially think we shouldn’t because this use is more likely to involve innovation. Think of comic book (or classic liveaction Batman) sound effects, all thwip! Kachunk! Sproi-wong! Bamph!
These often aren’t as codified because they don’t need to be - the situation tells you what they mean.

ミキミキと鳴る is falling solidly in the second camp. We already know what the pillar is doing in a strong earthquake. We don’t need a definition.

9 Likes

Phew! This chapter is definitely harder… Only on Page 19… I’ve read about a page of this chapter, but I’m getting there! Having everyone’s questions as reference is suuuper helpful! There’s been nothing so far that hasn’t been answered~

I’ll be here chugging along!

7 Likes

More questions! :grin: actually, just one… I answered the rest myself as I was typing them… :sweat_smile:

Page 21 Tsubasa Bunko

Can someone help with the breakdown of this sentence? Specifically the curtain bit…

窓により、レースのカーテンを左右にわけて ガラスごしに外を見えると…

So we’ve got:
窓により - essentially ‘via the window’
ガラスごしに - ‘beyond the glass’ or ‘through the glass’
外 - ‘outside’ (i.e. the thing that’s visible, through the glass)

Then the bit that I don’t get in the middle:
レースのカーテン - ‘lace curtains’
左右 - ‘left and right’
わけて - from わける, ‘to divide up’

The lace curtains are split to the left and right of the window? Hence her being able to see through the window? :thinking: for some reason the way it’s put together with the rest of the sentence confuses me… Is it more like “beyond the glass and lace curtains split to the left and right”?

Alright, just gotta tackle the last two pages…

She’s separating the curtains left and right from the middle, like image

Note that it’s カーテンをわける not カーテンがわかれる. The curtains aren’t dividing, she’s dividing them.

11 Likes

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

My book came! I’ll probably skip Ch1 and Ch2 and try to read at least some of Ch3 now with the goal of being more fully in for Ch4. I’ve read about two sentences with google translate for assistance; it’s hard but these threads are helpful!

Hooray! :tada:

Honestly though, I think it would probably help a lot if you started from the beginning :thinking: otherwise you’re surely going to be unnecessarily confused by things that happen…? I don’t know, maybe it’s more important to you to be able to join in with chapter 4, but do consider that!

also chapter 3 has probably been the hardest so far, so dont be put off if it proves difficult :scream:

maybe we could provide a spoilered plot summary or something…

1 Like

…I didn’t understand those at all, and English is my native language

2 Likes

I might try to read a plot summary in English so that I’m not totally lost in terms of the story–I’ll see how it goes, either way. Ideally, I’d read all three chapters in the next few days, but I’m so slow, that seems probably beyond me.

1 Like

Yeah, for me 3rd chapter was too hard. I could not understand what was happening. So many questions that i did not even bother to post questions.

I could not understand: was the fire a nightmare, if not then what was she dreaming about? What happened at the end, did the guy pushed her to the side, or did only he rolled to the side? Also it looks like the kitchen thing was confusing for a lot of people

Hopefully it will get easier, at least to the 1st and the 2nd chapters level.

1 Like