時をかける少女: Week 2 Discussion (Chapter 2)

Hmmm, looking at it again,
いちど母にラベンダーのにおいのする香水をかがしてもらったことがあるんです。
is still tripping me up a bit. It says Once, my mum let me smell (her) lavender perfume right? Does that mean the に after 母 is referring to the もらう and not the causative 嗅ぐ? Is that translation even correct? I feel like it could be lots of things depending on that causative…

The way that I would explain this is to say that そのにおいがなんなのか is what she 思った, 記憶しているように is how she 思った. “What is that smell…?” She wondered, as if she remembered it.

2 Likes

Not exactly. You are kinda correct about the に connecting to もらう.
The point was that she got her mother to let her smell the perfume. (I.e. she asked her mother, and the mother agreed)
If the mother had decided on her own will to let her smell it (and that 和子 thought it was a good thing), it would have been 母が嗅がしてくれた。

8 Likes

I originally though it is 香がしてもらった。 Would that even be correct Japanese?

No idea. My IME doesn’t have that kanji as an option for かがして (or かがす).
I also don’t know that reading of 香 (it can indeed be read か, though, my kanji dictionary says).
The main problem, though, is that it becomes 香がする (to have a smell), which makes no sense here. In particular, that する would be intransitive, but we have an を in the sentence. Plus, 母に gets orphaned as well.

(so “is it correct Japanese?” signs point to no)

2 Likes

Finally managed to get around to reading Chapter 2 as well. Even went ahead and read Chapter 1 again to see how fluently I could read it (had a day off).

Overall, I struggled much less this time around than last week. Found it less exhausting and got mostly everything the first time around (although reading this thread did clear up some stuff I was still confused about as well.)

Hopefully next week I’ll read it fast enough to actually actively ask (and hopefully answer) questions as well.

6 Likes

Watching you guys discussing things I don’t even notice as I’m busy trying to get at least the gist of the story is kinda discouraging. Not complaining! Just noticing a totally different class of reading going on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t be discouraged! Reading for the gist is great. And you’ll pick up things you don’t realize you’re picking up.

5 Likes

Most of the details I didn’t get first time I read it either. You can always come back later and see how much you improved :slightly_smiling_face: no worries

4 Likes

Ohhh, てもらう always stuffs me up. Thank you~

:thinking: I took なんなのか as the straight up dictionary meaning. But なに+explanatory の+か does make more sense to me. Such a weird conjugation though :face_with_raised_eyebrow: looks like an entirely different word

3 Likes

Even if なんなのか has a dictionary entry in some things, it really is just なに な の か
Just that なに can only connect to の with な, and saying なにな is 面倒くさい, so it’s usually なんな

1 Like

You already figured out the breakdown perfectly, but I just want to say that なんなの is a really common phrase :grin:

You can add だ to なんなの make it even weirder:
なんなんだ

Two なんs in a row, but one of them comes from なに and one comes from な + の!
Japanese sure likes to smoosh sounds together :laughing:

7 Likes

Finished chapter 2! :tada:

This is so enjoyable to read - I’m really getting carried along by the story and the mystery elements :joy:

Curious: how many people reading have seen the anime The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?

• Have seen the anime
  • Haven’t seen the anime but know the plot
  • Haven’t seen the anime and don’t know the plot

0 voters

And a quick question which is so simple and small I feel kind of embarrassed to post it (but also sort of pleased it’s my only question from the last few pages):

Page 14 Tsubasa Bunko

自分のと和子のと両手に持ったカバンをぶらぶらさせながら、実験室の中へはいっていった。

Um, I just don’t understand the second と? :sweat_smile:

So he’s carrying his and Kazuko’s bags, giving us the ‘and’ と after 自分の, but you don’t usually have another と after the second noun… do you?! (having a slight Japanese crisis here) Wouldn’t it be more usual to have が here? 自分のと和子のが両手に持ったカバンをぶらぶらさせながら…

1 Like

Where is the option “have seen the anime, but it was so long ago that I practically don’t remember the plot (except for the fact she was jumping through time, I guess)”? :thinking:

4 Likes

So I couldn’t really explain the specific grammar of と here because this is something I’m more intuiting than really understand, but I interpret it this way:
が would not work because 和子の is not the subject of anything. 自分の and 和子の are both modifying カバン. 自分のと和子の〜カバン
But the author inserts 両手に持った inbetween there also modifying カバン, which would allow a first read through to look like 自分のと和子の was modifying 両手, which which would be confusing when you get to the end of the clause. The extra と clarifies the situation.

2 Likes

Do you know, I did consider including that option :joy:

Yes, I did consider that simply not having anything in place of と would be confusing, for the reason you point out.

That’s true. が was my wild attempt at a suggestion, but it doesn’t take into account that they are modifying カバン rather than existing as nouns.

So I get that the と clarifies; I guess now I’m just wondering whether that’s a standard role that と can play, or a standard issue/solution with the possessive の (I guess so)? It would seem easier just to write 両手に持った自分のと和子のカバン :joy:

2 Likes

I can’t comment on that point :sweat_smile:

I like your original question though. I tend to “just read” instead of really analyzing things, so being part of this thread has been a really good opportunity to actually really pay attention to things that I just kind of go “ok, so that works” and move on from. Because a lot of people here ask really interesting questions.

5 Likes

:smile:

Yes, sometimes I don’t even realise that e.g. I misinterpreted something until I read somebody else’s question about it. It definitely makes for a different reading experience ^^

2 Likes

I’ve also seen the 1983 live-action film, and the 2010 live-action sequel.

Woah, a true fan! Were they good?

I’m surprised to see 60% so far haven’t seen the anime - was definitely expecting more people would have seen it than not!