時をかける少女: Week 2 Discussion (Chapter 2)

You’re sure that wasn’t some pantsu? Those give you severe nosebleeds!

2 Likes

blood flow to brain increases by 2%

blood vessels in sinuses explode

Sooo, this chapter went really smoothly! Managed to finish reading on Wednesday, managed to catch up with this thread yesterday, so today I can actually ask some questions :tada:

(kind of on the page before last)
君が倒れているのを見つけたとき、机の上には、薬びんも試験管もなかったし、そんなにおいもしなかったよ。

When we found you collapsed, there were neither medicine flasks nor test tubes on the desk, therefore such a smell …

and then I’m lost. What does もしなかった mean at all?
Is this maybe a short form of もしかしたら? Other than that, I couldn’t come up with anything.

(a few sentences later)
たしかに一夫のいったとおり、机の上には何もなく、床の上に散らばっていた試験管の破片も、きれいになくなっていた。

Of course, just as Kazuo had said, there was nothing on the desk, and the test tube splinters that had been strewn across the floor …
cleanly disappeared?

I think I get the gist of that last bit, but why do they use きれい here? Does it have a special meaning that makes it especially suitable?

2 Likes

You’re probably best of getting confirmation from somebody else, because I could be wrong, but I just read this as におい+も+しなかった(as in, it also didn’t smell). I don’t know if that’s actually correct or not though.

jisho also lists “completely” as a possible meaning for きれい, so my guess is that it’s just emphasising that it really is gone without a trace(since, if someone cleaned it up, maybe there’d be traces left, or at least you’d expect there to be some signs of it)

3 Likes

においがする = err… a smell is… doing. It smells. においもしなかった finished the thought of

no test tubes, flasks, or such a smell (being smelly)

And,
きれい is used in these instances to say that something has completely disappeared, or been cleaned up, or been severed, or in pokemon, that they “completely forgot” the move you made them forget :wink:
〜つかいかたをきれいにわすれた!

5 Likes

Oh wow, thanks to @ditto20 and @QuackingShoe for breaking this up properly for me! I do know がする, I just did not manage to identify も as a particle :dizzy_face:

Also thanks for mentioning the additional meaning of きれい !

5 Likes

Just to add another confirmatory perspective

I think し is listing things there for the explanatory tone, and I agree that においもしなかった is included in the list rather than being the thing that is explained.

きれいになくなっていた also made me go ??? for a second, but then I figured that “cleanly disappeared” (or “became cleanly gone” or “was in the state of having become cleanly nonexistent”) made sense as a way to describe a mess disappearing.

4 Likes

Week 3 is here!

4 Likes

My end sem exams have kept me so busy, hopefully I’ll be able to read the chapter today.

6 Likes

i’m playing catchup. Just got through this chapter and apart from looking up stuff and being slow, I got through it ok.

Even though I’m late, I still enjoyed reading everyone’s questions, comments, polls in the thread.

I hope I can catch up to the current week at some point. Well, I will at least try.

11 Likes

You’re almost there :slightly_smiling_face:

Feel free to post your own questions too, even in these older threads. I think most people still follow them and would be happy to answer :wink:

4 Likes

自分のハンカチを水でぬらすと和子の白いひたいの上にそっとのせた。

This sentence also has the same と, right? Also how much of a difference does it make than using ぬらして? Is this simply a difference in literary style?

Yeah, it’s the “connecting” と or whatever it’s called :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the difference between using て-form or と to connect two sentences, my dictionary gives this definition for that usage of て-form:

ある動作・作用から、次の動作・作用へと推移・連続する意を表す。

Comparing that with the definition given for と:

The only meaningful difference I can make out is that with て-form these actions aren’t necessarily “nearly at the same time”, which is the case with と, though in the end I don’t think there’s much of a difference. There could also be some difference in literary style, though.

1 Like