時をかける少女: Week 1 Discussion (Chapter 1)

No problem! Haha, that’s okay - I just asked for a reminder in case I forgot; I’m pretty amazed I remembered :grin:

3 Likes

Oh boy, I was so excited to start reading this, then I had an absolutely crazy month and I just finished the first chapter. Well, at least I understood much more than when I tried with Kiki.
Wish me luck catching up I guess?

16 Likes

頑張って!

1 Like

Hi! I’m just starting this book (better late than never, right?!) and have a question about the styling of the word “ずんぐりむっくり” on p6 - are the dashes beside the characters used for emphasis? Sorry if this has already been answered, I couldn’t find anything here.
Thanks!

1 Like

Yep, it’s emphasis.

2 Likes

One more question from me (still on page 6)… in the last sentence on this page, is it Kazuko who feels bad for what she is thinking about Kazuo and Gorō’s appearance? I don’t think it’s written in first person but it is from her perspective / she is the inferred subject - Is this correct? Thanks in advance

1 Like

I’m not too sure what page you’re talking about since my pages are different but I think you’re talking about

吾朗は胸をそらしていった。まっかにふくらんだ顔のため、しょっちゅうりきんでいるように見える。

In that case, Kazuko isn’t there. It’s only Gorou and Kazuo in the bathroom

EDIT:

ぼんやりのようにも見えるし…

that would make more sense for page 6… The description of Kazuo is a general, characteristic description, so not from anyone’s point of view

2 Likes

I think you’re asking about きみ悪さが感じられる. That was talked about here and here

1 Like

in the line "よしやまくんというのは、やさしくてかわいいけど、すこし母性愛かたなんじゃないか?

when yoshiyama-kun is called 母性愛過多, what does it mean?
that she’s had an excess of maternal love, and is therefore spoilt? or that she acts too motherly towards the students?

im quite late to this thread, starting the book now :expressionless:

2 Likes

It would be closer to your second guess. He says that right after she told the two of them to go wash their hands, something a mother is more likely to tell her kids than a student to tell her classmates.

Don’t worry, it’s never too late to ask questions on the past chapters :wink:

8 Likes

Also starting late. Read the first 2 chapters, then thought I might as well check this thread. Very useful, thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Gonna reread the 1st chapter now to see if there’s any questions left! (I don’t think there are, but :smiley:)

How are you progressing @ekadish? Are you keeping to the same schedule as the club did with 1 chapter per week?

5 Likes

I read till chapter 7 in a couple of days but then lost steam. now back on it! fightin!

3 Likes