時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

No, I’m agreeing with you. It was the same way with 魔女の宅急便 and it was super annoying.

Thanks for the confirmation. It’s pretty hard to know emotion with only words ha ha.

I don’t mind if authors don’t use kanji in some words as long as it’s completely one way or the other. It should be かのじょ or 彼女かのじょ but かの女 is just really weird and to me feels unnecessary.

7 Likes

Hi guys! I’m looking at getting 時をかける少女 and joining quite late. However since Amazon Japan has stopped shipping to Australia I can’t get it from there. Other sites, like Kadokawa, don’t ship to Australia either. How have you guys been getting your copies? Other than paying for forwarding addresses. I’m only really interested in getting a hard copy though, I find it too hard to read and study off a screen. I’m aware of CDJapan, but that has quite a significant shipping fee which I’d like to avoid if I can

If you’re in Sydney, I bought mine from Kinokuniya. (For that matter, even if you’re not in Sydney, you can probably still order off their website.)

I’m in WA unfortunately. I had a quick look at the sight and did the maths. It’s better value to buy from CDJapan and just get more books, so I think I’ll go on a book buying spree and stock up :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to hopefully catching up and contributing

1 Like

That moment you realize you have less unknown (frequency 2) words in Sword Art Online than in 時をかける少女.

4 Likes

The other day I realized that I have more unknown words in 獣の奏者 than total words in 時をかける少女. And also more unknown words in 新世界より than total words in 獣の奏者. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out the literal meaning of 時をかける少女, rather than just the translated title of “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time”. It seems like the proper definition for かける could be

ある地域・時間から他の地域・時間までずっと続く。

which could be used to mean something like “the girl who goes from one point in time to another point in time”.

Another potential meaning could be

時間・費用・労力などをそのために使う。費やす。つぎ込む。

which could mean something like “the girl who spends time”.

Also, I wonder if it could be the “through” usage of を. Except I’m not sure if that would work for かける.

I’m probably overthinking this a bit, but I think it’s interesting.

1 Like

かける【翔る・駆ける】
(動ラ五)
①空をとぶ。「大空を—る」「二上の山飛びこえて雲隠り—り去にき/万葉集4011」
②速く走る。《駆》「家からずっと—って来た」

I think. But I think it is supposed to also include the idea of 渡す and こえる meanings of かける as well. Advantage of using some Japanese words in kana, you can stack meanings!

It’s also worth noting that in the movie (haven’t read the book yet obviously~) she has to run to go through time, if I remember correctly, so that’s another layer on top. This is a かける layered cake.

3 Likes

I think the かける is 翔る, so meaning to soar/fly/run/dash – it’s an intransitive verb so the を would give it that 'through" meaning we see with を sometimes

4 Likes

Ah, yes! So it is the “through” meaning, but with a different かける!

3 Likes

Also want to point out that it’s not saying it describes going from one point to another, but rather that, from one point (in time or space) to another, something is continuous throughout. See this definition an examples:

①時期・場所について、ここからそこまでの間ずうっと。「夏から秋に—けて咲く花」「宮城県から青森県に—けて大雪だ」
“Flowers that bloom from summer through autumn” and “There’s heavy snow from Miyagi prefecture to Aomori prefecture.”

1 Like

Ah I see. I was confused by what ずっと続く was supposed to mean.

Do you know what —けて is doing in the example sentences? For some reason it seems to be in place of かける. Maybe it’s just some dictionary convention I don’t know.

Ah, sorry, it is. The dictionary uses ー to fill in where the word you’re looking up would be in the sentence (excluding 送り仮名). So every instance of ーけて is referring to かけて.

Okay, that’s what I figured. I wonder why they do that though… maybe so they don’t have to deal with different kanji spellings of the word? :thinking:

I’ve always thought of it like using ___ in English. Fill-in-the-blank kind of thing. But now that you mention it, I don’t really know why that’s the convention, I’ve never really thought about! It seems pretty standard in 国語辞典 though. I use 大辞林 by the way.

Hey all. I’m planning on tagging along. I tried last year around the same time, but ended up not keeping up. I think I’m in a better place now, so hopefully I can actually join the conversation this time!

P.S. I have my book and have already got the FloFlo vocab going on Anki. :+1:

7 Likes

I ordered it, amazon says it should get to me Dec 3. Also I’m only level nine now, so it may be too hard, I guess I’ll see! It would be my first Japanese book/ book club

3 Likes

I’m scared to try this, I am still too ignorant.
But allas, if I don’t do these things I won’t progress I guess.
Will follow the guide to get the book from amazon and do floflo with you guys, although I have a feeling I will be needing the dictionary a tad bit more than you guys…

2 Likes