時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

We’ll be here to help!

1 Like

I read the first few pages ahead by basically only using floflo (I only reverted to jisho in cases where floflo had issues with the parsing). That’s really neat because floflo magically knows the next word you’re going to look up. The downside of that approach is when any of those words appears for the second time :rofl:
So I bit the bullet and slowly started to actually pre-learn some of the vocab. (But I did not get very far yet, so…)

6 Likes

I just got to clearing my review pile a few days ago from focusing mainly on WaniKani for a few weeks so I just got back to doing lessons. I’ve done somewhere between 90-100 words on this book as of now, and plan to do 30 a day going forward. If I can keep it up I should finish in about a week, I’m only doing freq 2+ and have 220 words there, not counting how many more potential words I’ll have to trash.

2 Likes

i didn’t learn any words beforehand. there wasn’ that much in the first place, even relatively low-level stuff is written in kana (which is the thing that causes more hiccups while reading that having unknown kanji in the mix)

Out of curiosity for those of you who refer to FloFlo, what do you do when you encounter a word you don’t know that’s frequency one? Do you just ignore it? In my case there’s 1500 words that are frequency 1 and above, and 500 frequency 2 and above. Would you recommend not making flashcards for the words that are frequency 1?

I’ll probably end up pre-studying frequency 2+ this week

Thanks for your input :smile:

1 Like

I look up the word when I encounter it and leave it at that. If a word is only freq 1 it’s probably not worth your time. If it really is important it’ll likely show up in other books and appear more often in those books.

2 Likes

If you are a patreon, you can use the alchemizer to see which of those freq 1 words also appear in other books you plan to read.
If you get a word that is freq 1 and not going to show in the books you plan to read, just look it up when it comes around, and forget about it.

3 Likes

I’m definitely not going to be pre-learning them! My plan is basically to ignore frequency 1 words unless they look particularly interesting or useful. I’ll have pre-studied 3+, and otherwise will add 2+ as we read.

I think trying to learn an extra 1000+ words whilst reading the book is mostly going to be overwhelming and demotivating, though I’m planning to play it by ear a little - I might use the alchemizer to filter by whether they appear in other books I’ve got my eye on (like filtering by whether they appear in Kiki’s Delivery Service takes the number waaay down to 190 from 1240 for me).

3 Likes

Thank you all! That definitely helps, just knowing there are others with large amounts of words not yet known is reassuring :+1:

7 Likes

the words he uses are quite repetitive, so after a few pages, you’ll have seen stuff like のろのろ, 悲鳴 or ぼんやり a number of times, and if you looked them up, you’re likely to remember then.

1 Like

Just wanted to say hello! I’ll be joining you guys in this reading. I finished WK about 2 years ago, stopped using it a few months after unlocking everything and moved over to Anki. I have read a few things here and there between then and now but I haven’t read as much as I would like. So, I’m here, starting slow with you guys just to get in the habit of reading.

15 Likes

Hurrah! It’s so small and cute :3 Chucked in a banana for scale

13 Likes

Ah, the classic Reference Banana! :+1:

8 Likes

Managed to get the dang book from Amazon Japan to my non-Japanese Kindle Paperwhite after going back-and-forth with Amazon Customer Service (which give some friggin good service)!

I won’t be joining you guys at this time my skill isn’t on par yet, but having this book sitting on my e-reader will be motivating me to catch up to you guys. I’ll be sure to join the next book club session!

1 Like

I will look for the book this weekend and trying to join, but I am not sure I will be able to follow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel like the odd one out with not trying to prelearn any vocab. I mean…I’m already learning at top speed on Wanikani, and I probably won’t be able to keep up with the words in SRS once I finish the book, so…

Maybe other people are just very organised but I’m pretty much learning as much as I can handle right now and a word list that’s like 200 items long seems more than I can manage!

I’m just, you know, going to plough through.

7 Likes

I’m gonna do the same, not gonna prelearn any words, just add them to Anki as I encounter them :smiley:

2 Likes

some of the vocab is from the early 20s on WK. no need to speed up just for this. don’t worry, just read it. you’ll get all the vocab at some point, and this book is on the easy side.

I’m sure there are actually lots doing the same :blush:

2 Likes

:raised_hand: I’m not prelearning anything.
What do you mean no one was asking me?

12 Likes