時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

How are you tackling the pre-learning? I think that aiming to pre-learn hundreds (if not thousands) of words is unrealistic, especially without the benefit of context.

I’m trying to take a ‘drill-down’ approach of starting with frequency 5+ words, then tackling 4+, then 3+ if I have time. Higher frequency words are less likely to have issues of ambiguity, they’re definitely going to be helpful to know, and they’re usually a bit easier to remember cos they’re often more central to the plot.

When you get to actually start reading, you can then use FloFlo at frequency 1 like a dictionary which already knows what you want to look up. Just ‘ignore’ each new word as you get to it in the text to gradually clear the list (maybe adding any you think look interesting). Hopefully that will be less painful than actually having to look things up :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks, you too! I’m taking the N3 which might be beyond my ability, but we shall see…

来たっ!

11 Likes

I’m not sure what the なぜ?どうして?group is doing, but usually we have a spreadsheet which everyone can add words to. I’ve found it really helpful. If I’m ahead, I add words to the list. If I’m behind, I just reap the benefit of other kind people adding them. It certainly saves a lot of time compared to looking up everything yourself.

4 Likes

Yep, the vocab sheet is in the first post, though it doesn’t have a tab for each chapter yet. If someone wants to take the time to add a tab for each chapter (by copying the “Temp” tab), that would be very helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done, for the first few chapters. I will add more later.

3 Likes

Can I ask some dumb, possibly already answered, questions?

Is it possible to purchase amazon Japan kindle editions with an Amazon US account?
If it is not how do you get amazon Japan ebook on a kindle registered to an amazon US account?

no, you need an amazon jp account

A friend of mine showed me recently that if you put the Japanese ISBN into your amazon you can find the book in Japanese with usually a bit less hassle, but it may be slightly more expensive due to the import cost being included in the price.

1 Like

okay, so i started the book a bit ahead of time (was bored today), and it’s rather easy. there’s a few new words, but the grammar is straightforward, so i might be able to help with comprehension, should there be questions.

what causes me the biggest headache is reading from top down, and from right to left. gotta fight through that :slight_smile:
but man does the japanese way to display text eat up my energy. while the story seems interesting, it’s tough for me to progress. always searching for the next “line”. i hope i get used to it soon.

1 Like

That’s what surprised me the most as well. I often confuse the columns and find myself using my index finger to keep track of where I was, like a first-grader. I had not expected reading vertically to be SO different from reading horizontally tbh…

1 Like

totally crazy, isn’t it. you can tell i didn’t read any books yet, only websites, and those display the text western style. i feel like the newbie i am.

1 Like

You’ll get the hang of it after a while. I have. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, it didn’t take long to get used to.

1 Like

Have managed to pre-learn all the frequency 4+ words so far, and should be able to manage 3+ before the weekend ^^

I am both nervous and excited :grin:

5 Likes

Nice. I only learned like 35 words. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I think it will only total about 160 for me once I’m done :thinking: another 60-ish to do this week. I’m just sure this is gonna be quite a challenge for me, so I wanted to do what I could :sweat_smile: haven’t even started up WK lessons again yet!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve still been too busy even for 160 lessons. I have around 100 left just for the frequency 4+.

1 Like

Hope things get less hectic for you ^^ definitely all takes time… I was just pleasantly surprised how many I was able to trash. Last week I thought I’d only be able to tackle 4+ at best.

5 Likes

I’m hoping I can get by with just jisho / vocab sheet since I could be busy for a couple of weeks.

2 Likes