時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

I had that dictionary show up on kindle for PC, but not the kindle fire I just bought. :slightly_frowning_face:

Just finished the book I was reading yesterday so today I will start 時かける少女.

It’s looks really good but I feel the fact that i’m not used to that style of writing ha ha.

1 Like

You can get an add-on for your reading glasses that does this for you. It’s called “brain”.

(scnr :joy:)

7 Likes

I think mine needs a firmware upgrade then.

6 Likes

I got the book today so this time I will finally be able to start reading in time.

2 Likes

Is there an option for a faster CPU and extra memory? :grin:

8 Likes

Oh yes, of course. We call it “learning”. Unfortunately, depending on the subject that you choose for “learning”, the download may take quite a while; some customers reported it can take years or even decades. Therefore we built it in a way that lets you use the downloaded parts already even before the download is finished. Sorry for the inconvenience!

5 Likes

ready!

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m going with. A couple of weeks to pre-learn at least 4+ (starting with 5+). Anything more than that will be a happy bonus :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Japan Amazon website is the only one separated from the other Amazon websites in the world (insert “only in Japan” joke here). So you basically have to create a new account for it. I’d recommend using the same mail and password you use for your Amazon account so you don’t get crazy every time!
:smiley:

Aren’t they all different?

I’m pretty sure I was able to use my account from amazon uk on the us amazon website, so doesn’t seem like they are.

Huh, that’s odd.

No, they are not. The only separate one (so far) it’s Japan. I have traveled all over and used Amazon in every country with my Italian account, except Japan. I had to create a new account for their website.
If you have a gmail email account you can add dots (.) in between any letters of your email and still get emails delivered to you. It works as a different email address for other websites, but it’s in fact the same email on google. I love this feature of gmail!

1 Like

how do i do that?

Here’s a ridiculously detailed guide (just in case)

1. Go to floflo.moe
  2. Register an account (it’s free)
  3. Go to the 時をかける少女 page
  4. Set your WK level: click the number of the “WK” entry (one before last of the first row for me)
  5. Set the frequency (the item just before) to a number that gives you a “reasonable” number of unknown words (the first green item)
  6. Go through the list below. If you know a word already, click “trash”. If you don’t want to learn a word right know but don’t feel like trashing it, click “ignore”. If you don’t want to trash or ignore, you probably want to add the word.
  7. Once you have added some (let’s say 10 for the first time), go to the lesson page. A link is provided on site (bottom of my screenshot). There’s also a link at the top of every page.
  8. Here’s what the main part of the lesson page looks like:

It should list the words you just added.
  9. (OPTIONAL) Review the words you want to learn now. I usually check the JP dictionary (JP button on the right) but the EN dictionary should do (EN button obviously) (The last button is for editing the info of the word itself/ adding notes etc)
  10. Select the words you want to learn now by clicking them, then press “queue”. You can also press queue without selecting anything, in which case it will autoselect the first five items
  11. That part is similar to the lesson quiz in WK, so it should be fine. WARNING: if you get an item wrong and press enter, it will be sent back to the lesson list. You have to press backspace to “ignore” the incorrect answer/typo etc
  12. After a while, items will come back for reviews, like on WK.

I left out a lot, and I encourage you to read the guide on the floflo website to learn more. You can also ask us in the floflo thread. I hope it helps :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Looks like you have 16 new words to learn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The pretty is pretty simple to read. I like the fact that there is furigana everywhere makes it shorter to look for. I just hate the fact that the author is not always using kanji. I was struggling on some words because I didn’t know what hey were until I realised that normaly there is a kanji for it.

he use かの女 instead of 彼女

Other than that it’s way easier than what I was reading before. It’s fresh and simple. I like it.

2 Likes

I wish authors would stop doing that. They should just use furigana if they don’t think their readers will know the readings…

2 Likes

just wondering is that a sarcastic comment? These … is just bothering me for some reason.