時をかける少女 Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Funny how I can’t remember where I learned most words, but うなずく is one of those I know I learned reading 時をかける少女 too. I guess it’s just because that was the first novel I read, but it’s still relatable.

1 Like

If 時をかける少女 goes smoothly, I’ll probably make the transition to Intermediate Book Club. Move up to things like 放浪息子 and キノの旅, and hopefully more advanced material after that, like 獣の奏者. I’m still super busy, but hopefully in the next couple months I’ll get more free time. We’ll see. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read several volumes of 放浪息子 years ago and it’s a great series in a lot of ways. I actually own like 10 volumes but haven’t picked it up again since starting to learn Japanese again, because I haven’t wanted to go on that emotional rollercoaster. Lol.

2 Likes

I loved the anime, which is why I want to read it. As long as @Naphthalene joins me I’m sure it’ll be great. :blush:

2 Likes

Now that escalated quickly :wink:

5 Likes

Yep, the third book is kinda … weird. And overdone. But I loved to read it in the German translation - the language was so rich and beautiful, the translator had done an awesome job! Now the first part of the first book is sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to become a little bit more proficient in reading :wink:

Also, last summer I visited that playground

2 Likes

Seriously? It’s a real place?

Could you see the moon from there?

Yes, it is in Koenji. This page features a picture of it: '1Q84' GUIDE - The Murakami Pilgrimage

Sadly, I was only there in the daytime so I could not see the moon(s)…

2 Likes

And so it begins!

11 Likes

Hah! I fooled myself! I though “oh, we do the discussion in a separate thread and use this as home base”, clicked it and though: “WOW! 189 comments already!!!”… then…realized it was just a link to first post of this thread… ^^; (Didn’t know we could hit the link in the link and get returned back, hehe :wink: )

I need to go to bed… no, really, it’s !am and I am quite tiered… err… 1 am XD goes to bed

7 Likes

Ha, just bought the book. Was kind of scary, using a shady proxy and entering a credit card, but hey, live dangerously! I hope I’m not too late for the show :sweat_smile:

I have been going over the first chapter, and while I get the gist, some of the sentences or constructs just don’t make a lot of sense. (And the kindle dictionary is pretty shitty at finding things, so that doesn’t help)

5 Likes

Hey, welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t be afraid to ask about stuff you don’t understand in the discussion thread:

Hope you like the book.

3 Likes

That must have been Amazon.jp?
I didn’t have to do anything shady to buy the ebook from Ebook Japan :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that was shady amazon. I wanted to try whether I can get the book onto my old kindle (yes it works, I wasn’t really expecting that!)

1 Like

Chapter 2 is here!

3 Likes

Could you add the link to the OP as well? Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Done, thanks for the reminder!

1 Like
1 Like

By “next week”, do you mean tomorrow?

Just bought the 時をかける少女 ebook and really excited to join the club (even though I have some catching up to do!) Looking forward to joining the discussion soon :blush:

12 Likes