日本語の森(Nihongo no mori) A Feel-Good Resource

Basically, I am plugging Nihongo no mori, a youtube channel. It covers a lot of grammar points and is really a lot of fun. Plus, the people who do it give all the explanations in relatively easy Japanese so you get to feel good about yourself while learning new stuff because you will be able to understand most of or at least some of the explanations if you even have ~1000 common words memorized or so. Anyway, I don’t know if anyone else has had positive experiences with it, but I find it to be a nice resource for when I am relaxing and want to learn what the heck ばかりか does in a sentence. If anyone knows other good video resources at different levels, I would be excited to learn about those too.

Merry Christmas.

31 Likes

Basically Nihongonomori is easily the single best Japanese resource on Youtube, by a pretty long shot.

7 Likes

I like this. Most of the video resources that I have used so far are teaching through English, which kind of bothers me because I feel like I should be learning Japanese through Japanese, at least some of the time. Anyways, I think that this channel will be useful for me.

2 Likes

This is awesome!

1 Like

Learning a language through itself is one of the best things you can do. Obviously it will take a while to get to that level but once you’re there it’s amazing. I love to study the definitions of words in the same language rather than the English equivalents. I do this with other languages as well~

And yeah, I love nihongonomori as well. All the teachers are amazing! Can’t wait for a new series to start.

1 Like

Nice, I’ll give this a go!

I watched a few of the N4-N5 ones a while back, but didn’t really feel like they gave much, and at the time the japanese-only ones were too difficult.

Now it seems like the N3 ones are at a good level for me, and I’ve been struggling to find a good way to study grammar recently! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Neato bambito. Somehow I haven’t come across this, but it seems pretty useful. Ive been solely relying on filthy frank videos for my study and this seems a lot more informational.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for recommending this channel! Really awesome resource. I can now attend immersion-style language classes for japanese, even if there aren’t any available in my city.

Also the tone of their videos is wonderful; I love it.

1 Like

You are welcome. Enjoy it. It is definitely one of my favorite resources. :sparkles::turtle:

This looks great :3

1 Like

I just found the N3 playlist and it was amazing. After giving the N4 this July, I’d just go through all of it.

2 Likes

They even have basic grammar in english! Instant suscribe, thank you mate :heart_eyes:

1 Like

nothing wrong with filthy frank as teacher, hehe. :sunny:

1 Like

This is an old topic but I thought I’d just put my experience here. When I first started Japanese I found 日本語の森, and was able to navigate the most basic series, but out of curiosity I looked at the N3 grammar series. I didn’t understand a thing! I vaguely recognized some words in the first video, but was left with a big question mark floating over my head. :slight_smile:

Fast-forward to Wanikani level 15. At this point, I’ve discovered that I can sometimes figure out words from a combination of kanji and context. More importantly, I went to that same N3 grammar video last night and understood…almost the entire thing?! I was in shock. The teacher is explaining how だらけ、おかげ、and せい are used as grammatical modifiers, it’s super simple to me now…turns out, all I really needed was the vocab chops to be able to focus on the grammar, rather than the words.

Here’s the video if anyone else wants to feel out if they’ve hit this point yet (if not, you will soon!)

The sound mixing in these videos isn’t very good, so sometimes their effects are too loud…but the content is good.

Anyways I’m feeling like I’ve actually made real progress for the first time…
giphy

5 Likes

I had the exact same experience with the exact same video! :joy: How awesome is that? Right now I’m going through that N3 grammar series. I’m around video 12 at this point and even though nothing except くらいなら has felt completely new, I want to have a solid foundation before moving to N2.

Yes, it’s a great resource! They have jukugo and other stuff as well, not only grammar.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.