新 Monthly Progress Challenge

#PROGRESS POST #: 10
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 36
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 39
#GOALS
LAST MONTH GOAL REPORT :

Reading routine: :x:Well…. It didn’t happen. I mean, I did 100 pages last month still, but reading during weekdays it’s becoming harder, and I see I’m doing more immersion by watching shows, as it’s less demanding specially by the end of the day.

Immersion: Hopefully finishing 坂道のアポロン . :white_check_mark:Ok I didn’t finish the series, but not for lack of immersion time, but because I founded another show I got quite fond of: 美味しんぼ. Somewhat old show, but really aimed at foodies, since it gets into a level of details about japanese cousine that I haven’t seen anywhere else. So it’s my new favourite show for the month…. Besides, no option of English subs, so is a terrific way to do truly monolingual immersion.

Monolingual routine (Vocab/Sentence mining): :white_check_mark: As for the trouble I was having with getting lot of new vocab while reading, and only been able to review that vocab week later. Well, actually since I read less this month I’ve been able to read a story and make the new vocab cards the same day, so the next few days I’ll be reviewing that vocab and getting sentences to practice as well.
I’m considering that keeping the moment I see a new vocab more or less near the reviewing routine a very crucial thing, as it has really made a difference on how much memorable is the new vocab.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

Keep reading. Actually doing more than 150 pages sounds like a solid goal for the moment. I’m reading still the book10分で読める伝記3年生 , but recently I’ve started reading a grammar book aimed at kids too. I’m really loving it, since I can really tell that grammar taught to japanese kids has nothing to do with grammar aimed at foreigners. So I’m thinking keeping immersing and go with the 国語 book as a grammar resource it’s a good plan now that native content it’s more and more an option to learn.
Immersion: whether finish 坂道のアポロン or keeping watching almost an episode a day of 美味しんぼ…. Or basically just keep watching japanese content as a regular activity.

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:
WK for kanji (vocab from WK going to Anki an the whole SRS thingie it’s happening there now).
Anki with this Subs2SRS / Morphman routine for vocab and context sentence mining now almost exclusively in japanese
Reading These Month: 10分で読める伝記3年生 / 4年生。
Video immersion: Via VPN (Japanese version of) Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Grammar references: The Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate Japanese Grammar, and my favorite one: A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners.
Extra: Cure Dolly’s videos and messaging (on Patreon) for doubts
FAVE: monolingual Anki routine.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
The 国語 book I’m reading for grammar is:
まとめ上手: 小学&中学入試 まとめ上手 敬語と言葉のきまり.
I didn’t saw the value to dig into japanese grammar taught at japanese people, but it’s becoming very clarifying in some regards. The book itself it’s aimed at kids in 小学校 so it’s as challenging as some other books aimed at the same audience.

#PROGRESS POST #:5

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 14

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 17!

#GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:

• Reach level 11 :white_check_mark:
  • Stay caught up with reviews/lessons :white_check_mark:
  • Do Memrise and Duolingo lessons everyday :white_check_mark:

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Same as the couple last month.

#RESOURCES

• Wanikani /Duh/
  • Duolingo
  • LingoDeer
  • Memrise
  • Anki
  • A couple of textbooks < Finally got Genki as well
  • パルク先生

#JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS:

• Grammar
  • Writing Kanji

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE:

• Stay caught up with Wanikani lessons/reviews
  • Do Genki lessons
  • Do Memrise lessons

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE:

• It’s not a race, it’s a marathon. Take your time to learn the kanji, don’t just rush through it.

#PROGRESS POST #: 1 Excited! I used to do this on japaneselevelup.com but I would get discouraged because I was slow at learning kanji.

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: level 6

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… level 9 (I’m about to level up tomorrow so there’s time)

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: N/A

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

Listening:

• listen to at least one japanesepod101 podcast per day. I’m doing the “pathway to advanced Japanese” set right now so that’ll have me at #47 but the time next month rolls around. They’re maybe a little easy right now since i know the grammar that they’re using already, but there’s new vocab and with the lessons I’m on the hosts speak a fair bit of Japanese to each other too so it’s encouraging to be able to understand lots of Japanese.

Reading:

• not worrying too much about this for now; my kanji just isn’t there yet. I’ve tried multiple times to learn the kanji systematically and they all sucked except wanikani :stuck_out_tongue:
  • I did get 時をかける少女 so I’ll be joining in the beginner reading group with that on Nov 24th. It’s going to be good to see some kanji I’ve learned “in the wild”.

Misc:

• I’m bad at watching TV even in English so frankly anything I manage here is a positive. More episodes of Terrace House maybe?

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Jpod101, wanikani, whatever I can put on TV without subs (crunchyroll or netflix), ebookjapan, I’ve got some physical books but they’re still in boxes from my move.

• FAVE: Jpod101
  • LEAST FAVE: anything on the TV…

TRY NEW RESOURCE: ebookjapan is new for me! I’m so happy I can get some books at a reasonably price rather than having to pay a lot of shipping.

#JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Everything is about even? Holding me back most tho is vocab + kanji I guess.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Jpod101 for vocab, wanikani for kanji and some vocab. I’m just going to have to be patient for the next…well, I should be level 16 by February, and I think reading might be more possible by then. I think I’ll really need to be patient with my reading ability until this time next year, basically, when I should be around level 48 and have finished most of the N2 kanji.

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: I had to take a month break because of moving house, but honestly it’s not been too bad, I didn’t forget very much and I honestly feel like my listening is better for it? Like…I don’t know, I’ve come back with fresh ears. So obviously it’s not good to be super inconsistent but if you have to take a longer break you might come back and be better than you thought.

#PROGRESS POST #:2

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 6

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 9

#GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

#RESOURCES

Wanikani 
Kaniwani
Bunpro
Tae Kim grammar guide

#JAPANESE ABILITY

reading and grammar

Iversen method

#PROGRESS POST #: 2 Doing this one a bit early so I’m actually at the start of the month.

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: level 8 - level up to 9 in just over a day though, so I’d say I made my goal.

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… level 11, nearly about to graduate to 12, I hope.

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Did pretty well on wanikani, though level 8 took longer than I’d like because of an unexpectedly busy week. Like…terrifyingly busy. I absolutely did not get through as much jpod101 as I wanted, but I did watch several episodes of Bleach with Japanese subs, and listen to some podcasts in Japanese, so I’m calling the listening good.

I also read some of 時をかける少女, and though I didn’t get as far as I’d like I’ve more time this month to get to it.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

Listening:

• Listen to something in Japanese every day. Honestly, I decide to listen to one thing and my brain immediately wants to do another. Well, that’s fine, I guess I’ll just listen to whatever in Japanese. Currently enjoying Nihongo con Teppei, which is at a good level for me right now.

Reading:

• Still not worrying about getting in lots of volume here, but I was surprised to find that actually a chapter a week feels pretty slow; I can knock out half a chapter in a day, easy, when I’m not drowning in unexpected work.
  • Instead I’m probably going to keep frequenting the beginner reading group threads, but also go back and get some of the old books and read them at my own pace. I’ll add a few sentences to anki, since I want to try to get into the habit of doing that too.

Misc:

• I’m still a bad tv watcher but animelon is a GODSEND. Subs in japanese linking my (reasonable) reading ability to my (crap) listening? Yes Please. Also, I found a few let’s plays on youtube that are easier to follow because often the youtuber will read off game text.
  • This isn’t high priority, but I want to print off those wanikani kanji writing sheets and go through them. I find it pretty relaxing and I also ordered a super nice brush-type pen off amazon that I’ve seen used to write beautiful kanji. I’ll do some as and when I have the inclination.

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Jpod101, Wanikani, Animelon, Youtube Let’s Plays, Nihongo Con Teppei, own anki deck with mined sentences from media

• FAVE: Wanikani. It’s so easy to stay consistent
  • LEAST FAVE: in a weird turn of events, Jpod101, which I just don’t feel like lately

TRY NEW RESOURCE: Nope, got enough now, need to stop looking for stuff and start using it

#JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: With my reading improving at a slow and steady pace as I learn more kanji, it’s increasingly obvious how much my listening sucks. The reading will take care of itself as I continue with wanikani so it’s probably time to at least try to focus a bit more on listening.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: . The reading will just slowly get better, although I’m not expecting anything great until February at the earliest (still on track to hit level 16, which on wkstats is 95% of N4 kanji). The listening I’m going to improve with as much Nihongo con Teppei as I can (comprehensible input ftw) and japanese shows with japanese subs.

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: If you do stuff a little but consistently you’ll get better. I’m seeing noticeable improvements in my reading as I slowly climb the wk levels even though it feels like I’m right at the bottom of a really big hill still.

#PROGRESS POST #: 11
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: :white_check_mark:39
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 41
#GOALS
LAST MONTH GOAL REPORT :

Reading :white_check_mark:: well, after finishing the 10分で読める伝記3年生 book I decided to slowly aim at tackling those last Graded Readers for Japanese Learners that I’ve left in the collection, so I did the Taishukan vol. 3 and now I’m finishing the last story in the Ask Graded Readers Level 4, Vol 1. All in all almost 300 pages total… so I will say I’m back on track reading.

:arrow_forward:Something I should have realized before related to reading:

Reading stories aimed at natives can be demanding, specially regarding the time that it takes me to finish one story (I look up 1-2 words per page). It takes me something along 90 - 120 minutes to finish a 17 pages long story (so I see the title 10分で読める in the series like a far reality still :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)… so overall those 12 stories in a book can take me… well… 24 hours !!.
So, no wonder I was loosing momentum, specially during weekdays.

Now for graded readers it’s much easier… a story can take me 30-60 mins, thats 35 pages, but looking for words maybe 2-3 times total… and it’s all vocab, no new grammar…

So given that, I’ve managed to advance with the 10分で読める series on weekends and keep the Graded Readers for weekdays, so that way I can keep the habit of reading a regular thing, or at least avoid the fatige off continuously trying to reach a story per day.

Immersion: I finished 坂道のアポロン… I loved it :sob::sob: … It’s the first time I’ve watched a series from start t the end in japanese, no subs. I understood much more than I thought (well in a few months I’ll start with the manga, so I might realize then that I have misunderstood a ton perhaps :rofl::rofl: )
Anyway, I’m done with subs (I mean JP subs), If I can watch stuff and be entertained, considering the holes of understanding that are there… it’s a no brainer…
I’ve been doing the same with movies recently, though those are western movies with JP dubs (I love Netflix Japan :star_struck::star_struck: ) … And the same is true, The experience of watching a repeated movie, like the ones I’ve watched so many times before, now in JP are perfectly fine. Yesterday was the Matrix, before that the LOTR Trilogy… etc. No holes in the plot as you would imagine, so I can be really engage.

Anyway, immersion now with japanese audio, is going pretty ok. It’s a transition. Besides I might watch ocationally something in english as well, though strangely I’m somewhat avoiding it…

About the 国語 book: まとめ上手: 小学&中学入試 まとめ上手 敬語と言葉のきまり I was writing last month, I’ve read a bit more, but not consistently. I don’t have a setted plan for it, I’ll read a bit more each month probably, and comment on that after I’ve made significant progress on it.

WK for kanji (vocab from WK going to Anki an the whole SRS thingie it’s happening there now).
Anki with this Subs2SRS / Morphman monolingual routine. That for vocab and for listening practice.

Reading This Month : 10分で読める伝記4年生 and the last volumes in the Ask Graded Readers Level. 4.

Video immersion : Via VPN (Japanese version of) Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Grammar references : timidly reviewing this 国語 book: まとめ上手: 小学&中学入試 まとめ上手 敬語と言葉のきまり
For grammar I’m using more and more the monolingual dictionaries in EPWING format (using qolibry reader): 新明解, 明鏡, 研究社, 大辞林, 大辞泉, 広辞苑第 are the big boys here。The dictionaries have some really good explanations for grammar points and provide a really practical way to make sense on how idioms are constructed some basic vocab related to grammar it’s usefull, but it’s easy enough to learn.

Extra : Cure Dolly’s videos and messaging (on Patreon) for doubts
FAVE: monolingual Anki routine.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
Not really new, more like a resource that found its moment.
I’ll be going to Japan again in 4 months, ans speaking is something I want to really improve, so I wanted to work both on listening and shadowing. So I’ll try to go over the Shadowing Lets Speak Japanese book.

And the biggest surprise was my listening training method: やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング. I timidly tried the first chapter of this book some time ago, but decided that it wasnt the moment (it’s somewhat of an advance book) since it’s more suited for when reading both instructions and dialogues is possible in japanese (there’s a booklet with some translations though). Well guess what… now I pick it up again… and the explanations are great!!! It’s exactly what I was looking for to actually aid me in the whole immersion activities I’m getting into. More on this next month :wink:

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

Reading: keep this constant habit. Alternate between both the 10分で読める伝記 series and my last Graded Readers series. Some 300 pages would be nice.

Immersion: Some other show perhaps… I’m considering go through うさぎドロップ again, no subs this time. That and all the movies and other shows I can find… then I should find another slice of life anime again… the standards are so high right now :disappointed_relieved: … I’m running out of recommendations for those … anyone ?:sweat_smile:

Listening training: Go over a chapter a week in the やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング method

Aim constantly at immersion. No amount of WK, Bunpro, Kaniwani, Anki or any other app will become as pleasurable as doing the things you really like. Don’t plan in the long run to keep using almost any of those methods… dodge “study mode” the minute that you can start using japanese.

Read, watch, speak to people, learn about the culture by using your newly aquired skills… it’s a language after all this thing you’re learning!!

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #:6

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 16

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 19!

#GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:

• Reach level 17 :x:
  • Stay caught up with reviews/lessons :heavy_multiplication_x:
  • Do Memrise and Duolingo lessons every day :x:

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• I didn’t reach my goals last month. Due in part to the holiday’s and school, but let’s be honest, I was also a bit lazy. This month I want to catch up on my lessons and get back to doing Memrise and Duolingo every day. I hope to get my speed back and reach level 19 by next month!

#RESOURCES

• Wanikani /Duh/
  • Duolingo
  • LingoDeer
  • Memrise
  • Anki
  • パルク先生

#JAPANESE ABILITY

• Grammar
  • Writing Kanji

• Do Genki lessons
  • Do Memrise/Duolingo lessons
  • Practice writing kanji

HELPING OTHERS

• It’s not a race, it’s a marathon. Take your time to learn the kanji, including how to write it, don’t just rush through it.

I think you mean, “It’s a marathon, not a race.”?

1 Like

Progress Post 4

WaniKani

Current Level: 13 (reset from 30)
In one month, I hope to be level: 13 or higher, doesn’t really matter.

Goals

Last month’s goal report

Took (and hopefully passed) the JLPT N4.

This month’s goal

Goals, in decreasing order of priority:

1. KanjiStudy App {cafe/commute}
    • For review: Write out all kanji from WaniKani levels 1-15 using stylus
    • Set more goals after completing the above (probably including creating custom groups based on unknown Tobira words)
  2. 80/20 Japanese (for review) {cafe}
    • Finish reading entirely
    • Write out all example sentences from Chapter 12
  3. Tobira (to get into a habit of using the book) {cafe}
    • Write out vocab from 単語表
    • Write out all sentences from 文法ノート
    • Write out vocab from 漢字表
  4. 新完全マスター文法 日本語能力試験N3 (Shin Kanzen Master N3 Grammar) {commute}
    • Do exercises
    • Read more about each grammar point in A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns
  5. WaniKani {home}
    • Reduce review queue to 0
    • Reduce lesson queue to 0
  6. 新完全マスター文法 日本語能力試験N4 (Shin Kanzen Master N4 Grammar) {cafe}
    • Finish rest of uncompleted sections, as a review

Resources

Current Japanese Resources

All current resources and their long-term goals.

General Textbooks

• 80/20 Japanese (aim to finish this book entirely and mark it as complete)
  • Tobira
    • Complete one chapter every 2 weeks
      • Write out vocab from 単語表
      • Write out all sentences from 文法ノート
      • Write out vocab from 漢字表

Listening

• 新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験N3 (goals TBD)

Speaking

• No specific goals for this in the short-term
  • Aim to restart speaking focus in April 2019, to prepare for next June/July 2019 Japan trip
  • Aim to record spoken sentences, re-listen to them, have the recordings nitpicked by native speakers

Intensive Reading

• 新完全マスター読解 日本語能力試験N3 (Shin Kanzen Master N3 Reading)
    • Pause for now. Wait until finishing all of Tobira to start this.
    • Aim to start focusing on this in July 2019.

Extensive Reading

• Satori Reader (low priority)
    • Focus only on the Kobito article series for now

Writing

• Rewriting sentences from various resources

Kanji

• Kanji Study Android App
  • WaniKani

Vocabulary

• WaniKani
  • 新完全マスター漢字 日本語能力試験N3 (goals TBD)
  • 新完全マスター語彙 日本語能力試験N3 (goals TBD)

Grammar

• 新完全マスター文法 日本語能力試験N3 (high priority)
  • A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns (high priority)
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (low priority)
  • A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar (low priority)

Japanese Ability

Current Japanese Weakness

tl;dr: vocabulary, reading, writing

Details:

• Vocabulary is not large enough (leading to limited listening skills, limited reading skills).
  • Not enough kanji writing practice (leading to limited vocabulary reading skills).
  • Not enough sentence writing practice (leading to limited sentence reading skills).
  • Not enough practice reading and writing vertical text (leading to significantly slower reading rates compared to horizontal text).

How I will improve the above

Do the mini-goals above.

Helping Others

Tip/Advice for Learning Japanese

• Find high quality books.
  • Use the JLPT as motivation.
  • Read my other posts in this thread or on this forum.

Ahhhh, thank you so much. I’ve spent so much time learning Japanese I’m forgetting English. :joy:

1 Like

Haha happens to all of us! :smiley:

1 Like

PROGRESS POST #: 1 (hi!)

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 41

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 44

GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: n/a

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• review anki vocab first thing every day

• learn 75 new grammar points in BunPro (3 per day nearly every day)

• do 15 minutes of shadowing every day, or as close to every day as possible

• keep listening to Japanese podcasts every day

• look things up in the 国語辞典 more often

RESOURCES

• a dictionary of intermediate japanese grammar

• shadowing: let’s speak japanese!

• anki for new vocab + context sentences

• bunpro for N3 grammar

• wanikani

• podcasts (this month specifically listening to a lot of 怖い水曜日)

• 週刊プロレス magazine (subscribed on phone)

• reviewing mango languages to reinforce speaking

• N4 Shin Kanzen Master listening book (took the test in December but still going to review the book a bit since the listening section was so hard)

• reading news articles + lots of Twitter in Japanese

• sporadically YouTube videos of native speakers talking about things (sometimes during breaks from SRS)

• sporadically/not very seriously reading a detective novel (殺人事件「天の川」寝台急行)

FAVE:

• dictionary of japanese grammar (beginner and intermediate) - so clarifying and helpful

• reading 週刊プロレス (bc doing things you like etc)

LEAST FAVE:

• i love/hate anki – it’s so helpful and effective but i find it so unpleasant to use lol

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

• N3 2000 essential vocab book (reinforced w putting the vocab from there into anki)

• start watching Nihongo No Mori grammar videos

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: listening comprehension

• build vocab (using context sentences/collocations as much as possible) and understanding of grammar points (anki + bunpro)

• language shadowing to process what people are saying faster

• keep listening to native audio (podcasts)

• revisit the N4 listening book and maybe in a month or two move onto the N3 one

HELPING OTHERS

drink lots of water so you feel physically good for studying (lol)

keep doing it every day

See you on January 18 :sparkles:

2 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #: 2

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 48

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…60

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Take a hole night (10 hours) to learn 500 vocabs or review 800 words every week.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Keep doing a level a day in Memrise - Wanikani Kanji Readings and passing 2 lvs/week in WK

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WK & Memrise, Jap101 YTB dialogues

FAVE: Memrise
LEAST FAVE: Anything not funny.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: Anime and music

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: vocab retention

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Association technique used by hyperpoliglots and listening jap101 dialogues while working
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: What comes to your mind when thinking about a vocab in your native tongue? Link it with the new japanese vocab.

//See you next month!// (You better remember! :angrymami: )
[/quote]

#PROGRESS POST #: 12
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: :white_check_mark:41
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 46
#GOALS
LAST MONTH GOAL REPORT
Reading :x: … I didn’t make those 300 pages… christmas and all… visiting family… anyway. I got to read 250 pages still :man_shrugging: ; I’m still reading the 4th story in the 10分で読める伝記4年生 book.
Good thing though, lately unkown words have been dropping to less than 2 per page, I’ll see if that keeps to be the case after I’m done with the book.

Immersion :white_check_mark: Ok, I can proudly say that most of the content I watch is now in japanese, no subs. And while understanding it’s scarce, I can follow pretty well the plot on some shows. So I’ve setted up everything so I can choose from a lot of content until I can get something I can actually follow and enjoy.

The big Christmas surprise was a subscription to the old FujiTV, now called ForJoyTV, which streams 84 japanese channels, most of those are pure rubbish, but some shows are ok, plus there is the possibility to watch something up to 2 weeks before; well, that came with an Android TV box, and it has been such an improvement over watching stuff on the laptop, specially since now I can use the VPN connection to watch both Japanese Amazon Prime and Netflix… so there’s ton of stuff to choose.:open_mouth:

When I started with japanese I kind of looked down on people doing AJATT watching solely japanese content… :zipper_mouth_face: … I’m not sure if a year ago I would find my current routine very pleasent, but I’m glad I got to do it finally…

Listening training :x: … Ok, I was kinda lazzy with this one. I did one chapter of the book やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング still. It didn’t even took that long, so hopefully I’ll be more consistent with it… Actually the lesson was really good, I can only recommend this book, if it wasn’t so insanely priced :roll_eyes:

same as the last month :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: … plus the immersion TV setup mentioned.

Reading: finish the 10分で読める伝記4年生 book plus another of the Graded Readers Level 4 volumes.

Immersion: try to set up a routine with it… I’m thinking watching the News everyday, then some favourite shows during the week. I started watching いぬやしき this week, looks promising, something like the modern take on Ikiru by Kurosawa :crazy_face:

Listening training I’ll aim for 2 chapters of やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング.

LIFE AND ELSE

I’ve made the hosting preparations to be in Osaka for about 6 weeks starting April this year. I’ve decided on what Shodo academy I’ll be going, alongside with some other courses. This upcomming stay there is serving as a great motivation to stick to my routine :muscle::muscle:
Hopefully I’ll finish WK (at least reaching level 60) before april and all this listening practice will do some good once I’m there :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

PROGRESS POST #: 2

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 42 :sweat:

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… I think I might be on level 42 for a while as I focus on other learning resources outside of WK :woman_shrugging:

GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: here it is

LAST MONTH’S GOALS:

• review anki vocab first thing every day – didn’t end up doing this, but ended up reviewing some pages in the “200 Essential Vocabulary for the JLPT N3” book nearly every day, and got through the first 3 chapters. it’s a “quiz yourself” kind of book with a red sheet to hide the answers

• learn 75 new grammar points in BunPro (3 per day nearly every day) – did this! yay :sparkles:

• do 15 minutes of shadowing every day, or as close to every day as possible – didn’t stick to it every day, but made it half way through the book (doing one new page each time I sat down with it and reviewing 3 previous pages).

• keep listening to Japanese podcasts every day – very much did this, actually noticed some improvement this month with my podcast comprehension. i can follow rambly chatty ones a bit better now and keep up with general changes in topic.

• look things up in the 国語辞典 more often – did this! started translating some magazine articles for fun, which really motivated me to use the 国語辞典 to get a fuller sense of the meaning of words

THIS MONTH’S GOALS:

overarching goal: do something to build your vocab and to build your understanding of grammar each day

specific measurable goals:

• do shadowing more regularly, first thing, and finish the book

• keep going with the “2000 Essential Vocabulary for the JLPT N3” book every day, learn Chapter 4 & 5

• learn 60 new grammar lessons in BunPro (so get to 160/182).

• re-listen to half of all the Shin Kanzen Master N4 listening book practice exercises

• keep up with your WK reviews, get apprentice items down so you can start doing new lessons again

RESOURCES

• a dictionary of intermediate japanese grammar

• N3 2000 essential vocab book

• bunpro for N3 grammar

• wanikani

• podcasts, mainly NHK Journal, and two more specific to my interests: 怖い水曜日 (scary stories) and カテプロ (wrestling)

• 週刊プロレス magazine (subscribed on phone)

• listening to Learn Japanese Pod while I’m getting ready for work

• N4 Shin Kanzen Master listening book (took the test in December but still going to review the book a bit since the listening section was so hard)

• reading news articles + lots of Twitter in Japanese

• sporadically Japanese Ammo videos

FAVE:

• N3 2000 essential vocab book – i love the red sheet and not doing something in front of a screen. also features lots of kanji i already know from WK, used in new but unintuitive ways

LEAST FAVE:

• still love/hate anki – it’s been so effective when i’ve used it regularly in the past, but i don’t look forward to using it

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

• Nihongo No Mori grammar videos
  • maybe start in on the N3 Shin Kanzen Master listening practice book

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: listening comprehension

• vocab vocab vocab (using context sentences/collocations as much as possible)

• grammar grammar grammar

• language shadowing to process what people are saying faster

• keep listening to native audio (podcasts)

• revisit the N4 listening book and maybe move onto the N3 one

HELPING OTHERS

do it every day (and try to make a routine that you’ll actually be able to and want to do every day)

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #: 13
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 46
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 51 (fast level are here!!!)

LAST MONTH GOAL REPORT

Reading: A great improvement compared to last months, specially last week, I managed to read the Vol.2 of my last graded readers series to make a something like 340 pages a month… Reading on a daily basis it’s not always easy, but I think I can manage to make it into something regular in the long run… even when language learning is out of the picture.

Immersion: I finished いぬやしき, and it was good. I really liked the plot and the overall character development, still I got the same feeling as with many anime, of wanting to have a more in depth development of the whole plot. That’s a recurrent feeling I get with anime specially, it’s hard enough to find a really good one that I can binge over a week or so… but then they are one season, 11 or 12 episodes… and that’s it…

Anyway, making the habit of watching shows and actually enjoy them more in terms of content than anything else its great. So far there’s still the (huge) limitation of dialogue heavy shows, those I can really get lost, and then it’s not so fun anymore, so hopefully progressively this will be less often; luckily there’s a lot of action shows to help with this so far.

About aimlessly watching over the IP Japanese TV service… well, I was watching the news every day for the first weeks, but then I found the Sumo tournament been broadcasted on NHK the last weeks; it coincided with my breakfast, so quickly I added that to my morning routine.

Listening training: I did the 2 chapter of やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング I planned. I think I can manage to make it into something weekly thing, aiming for one more the next month.

I’ve been also listening passively to the 魔女の宅急便 audiobook. After watching the movie a couple of weeks ago I started. Very clear language and greatly parsed too. I was thinking in maybe do this my first book after I’m done with all graded collections. Reading alonside with the audio seems like a really valuable resource. :slightly_smiling_face:

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: same as the last month.

GOALS FOR THE MONTH

Reading: Same as before, but this time I’ll be tackling the last volume of the Level 4 Graded Readers, and then the 10分で読める伝記5生, which actually seems harder than the last one, I’ve notice the last books of the series managed to include more text in the pages, so overall I’m expecting to notice the change of pace.

Immersion: Well, since いぬやしき it’s over, and I wanted to watch something else than 名探偵コナン (which I probably won’t be finishing in this lifetime), I’ve started watching クレイモア, a show that I watched some years ago, and still have a vague memory of the plot. Same for エルフェンリート, I remember having watched some episodes before, but left it unfinished. So I’ve watched the first 4 episodes of both shows, and probably will be alternating those until I’m done.

A nice resource to keep track of my anime has been myanimelist.net, sort of the same as Bookmeter, but for anime. I like to look backward and at least know how much I’ve actually progressed in term of books or shows, specially when I get that feeling that I’m stuck or progressing too slow in the whole language learning journey. So a quick look into my 6 month ago immersion and the current one promptly put things in perspective. :+1:

As the Sumo tournament it’s over, and won’t be back until March, I’m looking for something to watch still… Aimlessly zapping it’s not my favorite activity, so I hope I can find a couple of good shows to watch during the week and stick to those.

Listening training : I’ll aim for 3 chapters of やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング.

I have the Harry Potter audiobooks too, but im still expecting to be able to watch the movie in japanese first (I’m looking ofrward to this, as its veen available in my local Netflix recently). If this happens, the idea is the same as I’m planning to do with Kiki’s: movie first and then attemp the book + audiobook combo😋

EDIT:
A recent discovery has been the Television Drama Academy Awards, which provide a nice way to find good dramas (which so far it’s been one of those resources I’m really eager to make use of… but usually I’m turn off after a few episodes with most of the shows I’ve tried).

Currently I’m keeping track of my dramas as well using the mydramalist.com website, this way I’ve found out about: マザー and Kemono ni Narenai Watashitachi. Finally dramas not happening in a japanese school !!! :joy:
One of the biggest surprises has been discovering Mana Ashida :open_mouth::open_mouth:… she seems to be what Haley Joel Osment was by the time of Sixth Sense, one hell of a kid actress …

#PROGRESS POST #: 3 I know I’m either loads early or loads late but I wanted to check back in to mention that, after crashing on WK after christmas, I’m back on the horse. Er, crabigator. Cleared out about 400 of my huge review backlog, a few more days of this to go I guess.

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: Level 11. Which is further than my last progress post! Hadn’t realised that, and it’s oddly motivating to be in the '10s.

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… level 12. I think it’s going to take another week to clear out these reviews, and then I’m aiming for ~10 day levels so I should be either just finishing 12 or just starting 13.

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Whoops. Took a burnout break! Which means I burnt myself out! Which means I did exactly the most counterproductive thing I could have done!

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Don’t. Burn. Yourself. Out. My learning lately has been very wk focused, and while I like wk and think it’s a super amazing tool I want it to be a thing I just sortof plod along with while I get on with the main business of learning the language, of which the writing system is only one part.

Listening:

Reading:

*Reading has also suffered from the “you must do things perfectly for them to be worth doing” syndrome. I know a lot of people say the ideal is to get to J-J but I’m just not gonna be there until basically I’ve finished Wanikani. Looking up words in the goddamn dictionary is not some kind of failure! Anyway I’m gonna focus on volume and get some reading done any old how, especially now my books are gonna be on a bookcase and not in some boxes. I’ve got a bunch of Naruto volumes, I’ve got 「時をかける少女」、I’ve even got Harry Potter in Japanese.

When I learned french I ploughed through whatever looking up words whenever I forgot them; the new language learning method seems to suggest this was bad, but fuck it, it used to work for me and I’m gonna go back to the old low tech “write a list of new words and look them up”.

Misc:

Might listen to some Jpod101, especially if feeling discouraged, but I’m not a fan of how much english they still use. It’s getting less, but you learn some random-ass specialised vocab but the show is mostly still in english and at times it seems silly. Still, I like it and I’ll still use it a bit.

TV I guess? I still need subs for most things, that’s okay. I’m not a great tv watcher anyway and whole some people say you just read the subs…I don’t? Like I read them but I’m much more of an auditory learner anyway so my brain prioritises the audible input. Definitely helpful for solidifying grammar structure in your head, “oh THAT’S how you say that!” and hearing words you know in context.

Drops, because it’s 5 minutes a day so why not, and I find myself far enough along in japanese to care about what vegetables are called. I want to understand slice of life anime without subs! Everyday words are important!

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Wanikani, books/manga, my trusty shitty cheap journal where I write the kanji, Jpod101, Nihongo con Teppei, that Kokoro-ya podcast, whatever anime is on netflix (currently Stein’s Gate)

• FAVE: Still Wanikani. You can see your progress!
  • LEAST FAVE: jpod101, which is mostly situational.

TRY NEW RESOURCE: Not unless something seems really cool.

#JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS/HOW I WILL IMPROVE: I have got to get out of the habit of trying to ‘optimise’ my learning and just Do Stuff More. If I can see or hear japanese, I’m doing something right.

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Don’t make my mistake and worry about getting the Perfect learning method or using the Perfect materials! Like you can worry a little bit - don’t use Pimsleur unless you’re really sure you know what you’re doing, everyone knows it’s a bit crap - but once you’ve got Some Stuff don’t worry if it’s the Right Thing or the Right Order or whatever.

2 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #:7

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 16

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 17!

#GOALS

LAST (several) MONTHS’ GOAL REPORT:

• Ok, so it has been a while since I’ve updated this. Way back in December I basically took two weeks off of WaniKani and during that time the reviews reallyyy piled up. It was discouraging to see 2000 reviews or so waiting, and because of that I stopped frequently doing my reviews and fell even more behind! I’m proud to say however that for the first time since December, I was able to bring my review count back down to 0. So while I can’t really say that I acheived the goals that I set way back in December, I’m just glad to be back on track.

• Another one of my goals back in December was to be doing DuoLingo every day, and I’m happy that I mostly kept up with that and currently have a 17-day streak (I had one for about a month before losing it tragically while moving). To some of the more dedicated DuoLingo fanatics, especially those with streaks spanning over several years, this might seem very insignificant, but honestly, I’m kinda proud of myself.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Keep my review count low

• Restart my lessons

• DuoLingo daily

• Start using BunPro more

• Start using Memrise again

• Finish translating the manga I’m reading

#RESOURCES

• Wanikani /Duh/
  • Duolingo
  • LingoDeer
  • Memrise
  • Anki
  • BunPro
  • Manga / Anime (these count… right?)

#JAPANESE ABILITY

• Grammar
  • Writing Kanji

• Do Genki lessons
  • Do Memrise/Duolingo/BunPro lessons
  • Practice writing kanji

HELPING OTHERS

• You will get there! Even if you fall behind and get discouraged, as long as you keep at it, you’ll get there eventually.
1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #:8

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 17

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 19!

#GOALS

LAST (couple) MONTHS’ GOAL REPORT:

• So I just realized that I completely skipped the month of June, but it’s July and I’m back with my report! I surprisingly made my goal to be level 17, although it wasn’t a high bar by any means, I had little faith.
  • I have managed to get and keep my review count low and for the first time in ages, I have 0 lessons (yay)!
  • I kept up with DuoLingo and have a 70 day streak now (not long compared to many others, but I’m rather proud), but I still haven’t done much with BunPro or Memrise.
  • I finished reading the manga, but soon gave up on translating it… Maybe someday!

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Keep my review count low
  • Level up quicker (at least quicker than a month per level…)
  • DuoLingo daily
  • Start using BunPro more
  • Start using Memrise again

#RESOURCES

• Wanikani /Duh/
  • Duolingo
  • LingoDeer
  • Memrise
  • Anki
  • BunPro
  • Manga / Anime (these count… right?)

#JAPANESE ABILITY

• Grammar (yikes)

• Get my Genki book out of a box and actually look at it…
  • Do Memrise/Duolingo/BunPro lessons
  • Try constructing some sentences

HELPING OTHERS

• Perfect practice makes perfect, but try hard enough and you’ll get there eventually… Hopefully.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.