新 Monthly Progress Challenge

Continuing the discussion from Monthly Progress Challenge:
Originally by @pekai

RULES

Every month return to this thread and fill out the sections to see (and keep track of on) how you are improving!

#PROGRESS POST #:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL:

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:

• FAVE:
  • LEAST FAVE:

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS:

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE:
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE:

//See you next month!// (You better remember! :angrymami: )

21 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #: 1

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 24

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 27

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: none

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Be able to handwrite about 200 common Kanji without looking up.

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WaniKani; DelvinLanguage; NHK Easy

• FAVE: WK
  • LEAST FAVE: Delvin

TRY NEW RESOURCE: A grammar book?

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Listening

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Delvin for now
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Keep doing it!

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #: 3

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 43

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 47

#GOALS

#2 Mar 2017
#1 Feb 2017

• Being able to read N4 without dictionary, and 多読 [Y]
  • I can read Japanese Graded Reader Lv3 without a dictionary, but with headache. I can read Lv2 without a problem
  • Being able to listen to N4 with good comprehension [N]
  • Still catching up on みんなの日本語(初級) I plan to listen to Tobira next month.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Being able to read N3 without dictionary, and 多読
  • Being able to read 国語辞典
  • Being able to listen to N4 with good comprehension

#RESOURCES

• FAVE:
  • WaniKani
  • AnkiDroid
    • Core 10k breakdown
      • Kanji sighting → Meaning
      • All possible meanings → Vocab pronunciation (kana)
      • Type-in box is a must
    • Selected vocab from KaniWani (not all)
    • Almost all vocab are looked up in Goo
  • Japanese Graded Readers
  • Everything else I do in my free time, especially スクフェス and ラブライブ!
  • Twitter, Pixiv and other sources of 同人誌
  • MIXED FEELING:
  • みんなの日本語
  • LEAST FAVE:

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

• Renshuu.org
    • Help with みんなの日本語 and Tobira’s vocab
    • Try Grammar section. “Compose a sentence for a grammar point” - Basic Japanese Grammar
  • Tobira
  • Selected vocab from KaniWani (not all) via CoreNai
  • Additional dictionaries? especially, J-J (国語)

#JAPANESE ABILITY

• Everything
  • Gotta practice writing much more
  • Though, reading is probably the strongest area

• Find a way to improve grammar; that could be made a habit
  • Tadoku
  • Appropriately and adequately use a dictionary

#HELPING OTHERS

• What is your goal?
  • Communicating with Japanese people without misunderstanding? Also, gain respect from your Japanese people colleague? – You will need much much more, probably N2 and above. Pitch accent is crucial.
  • Just a 外国人 on travelling or short-term living in Japan?
  • Do you need listening?
  • How long a text do you plan to read? Manga? Visual novels? Light novels? Textbooks? Or just Twitter/YouTube comments?
  • Production? Artworks? Kanji handwriting?
  • 2x2 fields of Japanese supports each other’s learning. Active and Passive.
  • Writing a sentence or speaking helps you learn grammar
  • Knowing a vocab, from EN/concept–>JP helps you learn Kanji
  • N5 vocab helps you learn WaniKani Lv1-10; N4 helps Lv11-30; N3 helps Lv31-60 – So, if I don’t study more, I might eventually fail WaniKani.

Depending on your goal, you might spend a lifetime learning Japanese. Only language I plan to go that far is… English.

So, 頑張ってね〜

//See you next month!// (You better remember! :angrymami: )

2 Likes

PROGRESS POST #: 1
(I assume we’re supposed to put what number it is for ourselves, not in the forum, right?)

##WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 24

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 27

##GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: N/A

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Stick with something other than just WaniKani! I need to be at least 5 days a week working on Memrise or Lang-8 or HJ Intermediate.

##RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WaniKani, Human Japanese Intermediate, Lang-8, HiNative, Memrise, Graded Readers, various Android apps (mostly just started)

FAVE: WaniKani
LEAST FAVE: Lang-8 because of the amount of work that needs to go into it and the time sink and motivation/energy requirement

TRY NEW RESOURCE: Shin Kanzen Master N4 Grammar (hoping to get the book soon)

##JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Grammar

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Kinda still trying to figure that out. Probably a mix of Human Japanese, Memrise, practicing writing on Japanese-only (here) and Lang-8 and HiNative, apps, and if/when I get it, making a more specific goal for Kanzen Master

##HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Figure out your pace. Don’t let yourself lose motivation or burn out. Use the community and chats and such for support, encouragement, etc. Have fun, but also do the work. Don’t force yourself to use a recommended resource that you hate - it can work for some people, but it might make you miserable and how’s that good for motivation, progress, or enjoyment of learning?

1 Like

PROGRESS POST #3 (02/04/17):

LAST MONTH’S GOAL: 15
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 15 (made it just now!!)
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 18

GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: (Complete the Genki 1 exercises and practice reading more). I’ve done a lot of the Genki 1 Workbook now, went on holiday so actually spent some of my down time studying - which people at the hotel found very curious lol. So much reading done!
THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Finish reading the Graded Readers level 1 and try a new resource.

RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Wanikani, Genki 1, Japanese Graded Readers level 1, the JLPT N5 workbook
FAVE: Loving the Graded Readers still. Went through most of the N5 workbook which highlighted areas I need to work on.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: try a udemy course?

JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Still finding listening tough.
HOW I WILL IMPROVE THE ABOVE: Thinking I might buy a udemy course while they’re on offer as some are spoken almost entirely in Japanese.

HELPING OTHERS
TIPS/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Work on your weaknesses but also take time to enjoy areas you’re strongest on, as enjoying what you work on is just as important :slight_smile:

1 Like

PROGRESS POST #:0
WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 3

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL 6
GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: None

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: read more Tae Kim
RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:Wanikani, kaniwani, memrise, youtube, Tae Kim.

FAVE: Wanikani/Memrise
LEAST FAVE:I don't want to know

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
Maybe some book from library

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: All around.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE:Read some Tae Kim and get more vocabulary using memrise
HELPING OTHERS: Fighting spirit for everyone.

PROGRESS POST 3:

Japanese Study Time: About three months

WANIKANI
-CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 14
-IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 18

GOALS
-LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: https://community.wanikani.com/t/Monthly-Progress-Challenge/10094/318

• Reach level 14
  • Daily Goals [~] Haven’t been doing much Anki
  • Textbook [~] Made it to chapter 19 which isn’t bad, but I wanted to finish Genki II this month.
  • Reading Did plenty of reading this month. Probably about 80% through current visual novel. Should be able to finish this month without incident.
  • Kana Drilling [~] Didn’t do it, but didn’t feel the need either.

-Overall: Not sure how I feel about my progress. I’m just going to keep doing whatever I feel like for now.

-THIS MONTH’S GOALS:

Daily

• Wanikani, Kaniwani, and Anki reviews
  • Reading (with or without Rikaisama)
  • Keep adding cards to Anki

Monthly

• Textbook
  • Finish Genki II
  • Reading
  • Finish current visual novel
  • Find something new to read
    • Probably try reading 2-3 different things this time.

RESOURCES
Current Japanese Resources: Genki II, visual novels, ITHVNR (visual novel text hooker), light novels, Rikaisama, WK, KW, Anki, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, Jisho, misc Japanese media, JP class discord, Genki Sprint thread

For reading visual novels, I’m using the ITHVNR + Rikaisama setup here: https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/wiki/vnhooking

JAPANESE ABILITY
-Reading: Reads slowly. Comprehension is questionable.
-Grammar: N5 level
-Kanji: Knows around 400-500
-Vocab: Knows around 1500-2000
-Listening: Can’t understand much
-Writing (typing): Can write very basic sentences. Makes mistakes all the time. Slow and unnatural.
-Speaking: Very bad

See you next month.

2 Likes

What is this? It might be something I know, but I’m too sick/tired to try to figure it out (usually I’m decent at guessing acronyms).

PROGRESS POST #: 1

WANIKANI

• CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 5
  • IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 9

GOALS
THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Daily Wanikani reviews
  • Reading
  • Finish 「マンガ家さんとアシスタントさんと」(5 volumes left)
  • Continue with 「ダンボール戦機」(currently up to Chapter 3?)

RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Wanikani, Manga, 3DS, Japanese Community Radio, https://booklive.jp/, https://www.amazon.co.jp/, http://buyee.jp/

FAVE:
I dunno, I’ve only really been doing/reading stuff I like, so…that said, I really like 「ダンボール戦機」

LEAST FAVE:
I’m finding 「マンガ家さんとアシスタントさんと」 to be overly エッチ so sometimes it’s a bit of a struggle to get through without shaking my head, but well, at least the themes are easy to understand.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
I bought [カペタ」second hand through amazon via buyee, and it should be coming in the next week or so. I’m quite a fan of motorsport, so fingers crossed I’ll be able to understand enough to make it worthwhile!

JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Kanji/Vocab
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Wanikani, Reading

HELPING OTHERS
I think it’s helpful to have some native media about topics you know about otherwise. For instance, I’m a cycling fanatic so I found reading LONG RIDERS to be super easy/rewarding just because you can understand so much just from the context. Plus, I like reading about bike things, so it’s a double win.

2 Likes

It’s just a text hooking program for reading visual novels. I’m actually using other stuff too, so not sure why I only listed that. Went ahead and edited the post for clarity/accuracy.

PROGRESS POST #1:

:new_moon_with_face:WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: LvL 3
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… well, I am going slow at this moment while I get used to study everyday and to learn more and more kanji, but I will definitely be 4, but I hope to be at least 5.

:new_moon_with_face:GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: It was my first month (2-3 weeks) at Wanikani, so my only goal was to get to LVL2 and to not forfeit after a few days.
THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Finish my learning of Katakana and be more fluent with written kanas and kanji.

:new_moon_with_face:RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WaniKani, Wikipedia.jp for checking kanjis I know in the real life (using some userscript) and a Spanish Japanese Grammar book I got a few years ago and that help me with beginners grammar.

FAVE: Wanikani
LEAST FAVE: Uhm… Wikipedia, I guess? To difficult for the moment, but I am happy when I discover words I know.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: Checking for a proper grammar book, like みんなの日本語 Or Genki.

:new_moon_with_face:JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Differentiate between very similar words like 下げる 下がる & 上げる 上がる

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: I am taking special care of learning the type of the word to understand in which they are different, and trying to use them on very easy phrases.

:new_moon_with_face:HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Work everyday, always, everyday. Even if you are slow and you don’t do lessons or just a bunch of reviews, everyday work will make you better. Walk like a turtle to learn in long-term races. Also, try to get material that you like (movies or series with subs) so you can start making associations between meanings and the words you listen on the media.

PROGRESS POST #:1
WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 12

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…13

GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Genki Chaper 8 finished, 9 started

RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WankKani, Japanesepod 101, Renshuu, Memrise, my tutor.

FAVE:
LEAST FAVE:
TRY NEW RESOURCE: 80/20 Japanese

JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Grammar

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: do more exercises from Genki. They might seem repetitive but they keep you going over old stuff as you go, so you don’t forget it all, which is exactly the best way to learn.

HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Genki, Japanesepod 101, a tutor online, Renshuu, Memrise

1 Like

Ugh I originally did this for 2 months or so in the old thread, but tbh I’m just gonna start over.

PROGRESS POST #1:
WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 19
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 20. I’ve got 1k reviews, just really need to get through those. No more lessons until my apprentice queue has less than 100 items.
GOALS

LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: n/a

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: clear out my reviews on wk/memrise/anki. Start Nihongo Challenge Bunpou + Yomu. Do… 3 chapters I guess, of An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese. Finish Pokemon X for the love of … anything.
RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese, Nihongo Challenge Bunpou + Yomu, WaniKani, memrise, Anki (v2k + custom decks), A LOT of 3ds games (Pokemon X [so close to being done], Pokemon Omega Ruby [halfway], Pokemon Sun [just finished Melemele], Youkai Watch [ch7 out of 11], Zelda no Densetsu: Toki no Ocarina [after the Deku Tree], Monster Hunter 4 [this is mostly just for messing around with], Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori, Hikudasu Hippaland, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon [just met my partner], Pochi to! Yoshi Wool World). I also have two Japanese readers and the first volume of カゲロウデイズ, not sure when I wanna tackle those. After AIAtIJ maybe?

FAVE: my 3ds hands down hahaha. AIAtIJ is really really good though. I like it way more than Genki and JtMW.
LEAST FAVE: anything srs is a pain and I just wanna have a reasonable amount of reviews ;n;

TRY NEW RESOURCE: カゲロウデイズ/those Japanese readers. Maybe. Start using Nihongo no Mori regularly (wanna make it through all the Ekubo eps about things I’m kinda shaky on). Maybe start reading NHK Easy News regularly again (it’s so boring though).
JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Grammar. Focus. I.e. sitting down and doing things instead of goofing off. Also actually looking things up while playing games; I’ve gotten into a habit of not using a dictionary since I understand the gist of it anyway and don’t need it to know what’s going on. It’s making me really lazy though. I really need to just stare at a sentence and look up things until I understand it 110% as opposed to 98%.

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: AIAtIJ. Being more diligent (ahaha yeah right).
HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: I don’t know if anyone has this problem but yeah, don’t get too comfortable with just ‘knowing what’s going on’/‘getting the gist of things.’ Look things up.

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #2:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 27

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 30

#GOALS

• Reach level 27: done (and almost reached level 28)
  • Handwriting Kanji: done. I ended up making an Anki deck which worked well. I’ll eventually add more cards to it, but I have different goals for this month.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL(s):

• Practice speaking with japan-guide.com, or find another way to speak to Japanese people. Speaking is my weakness right now, and that is unacceptable.
  • Finish the N5 words on DelvinLanguage. This website serves as both listening practice and vocabulary learning for me. It has priority #2.
  • (Maybe) buy a proper grammar book. I have mainly used Tae Kim’s guide until now, and I will see if I need another resource.

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Anki; DelvinLanguage; Memrise; NHK Easy; WaniKani

• FAVE: WK
  • LEAST FAVE: Delvin

TRY NEW RESOURCE: A grammar book?

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Speaking

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: (already mentioned)
#HELPING OTHERS

3 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #: 4

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 47

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 50

#GOALS

#3 Apr 2017

• Being able to read N3 without dictionary, and 多読 [Failed]:x:
  • Being able to read 国語辞典 [Failed]:x:
  • Being able to listen to N4 with good comprehension [Perhaps]:warning:
  • Being able to listen to ALL みんなの日本語1〜4 exercises with good comprehension [Succeeded]:white_check_mark:

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• I might slow down, since I must study something else too. But I never want to finish half-way. At least all 常用 plz.
  • Comprehend N4 grammar and also N4 sentences from Jtest4you; by focusing on breaking down complex grammatical structures and separating noun clauses.
  • 新完全マスターN4・文法 : Now
  • Jtest4you N4 example sentences on Anki : by 16 May
  • Finishing 8020 Japanese Audiobook
  • Finish creating INFINITY and BEYOND, NAMES section (人名用漢字) – This is my legacy, although I might not finish using it.

#RESOURCES

• FAVE:
  • WaniKani
  • AnkiDroid
    • Core 10k breakdown
    • Selected vocab from KaniWani (not all)
    • Almost all vocab are looked up in Goo
  • Japanese Graded Readers
  • 8020 Japanese
  • MIXED FEELING:
  • LEAST FAVE:

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

• 新完全マスターN4・文法
  • It seems that I am not ready for TOBIRA yet, although I have bought it.

#JAPANESE ABILITY

• Everything
  • Though, reading is probably the strongest area
  • Focusing on reading and listening AKA passive skills

• Breakdowning Japanese sentences’ structure
  • Tadoku
  • Appropriately and adequately use a dictionary

#HELPING OTHERS

• Get into native-level materials real quick
  • By touching some grammar
  • Remember a lot of vocab and characters
  • Get into something real
  • Be adventurous and find your own path

//See you next month!// (You’d better remember! :angrykoichi: )

#PROGRESS POST #: 1

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 22

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 26

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: -
THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Don’t lose speed at WaniKani and retain the status of 0 lessons/reviews. :crabigator:
  • Get thesis done to at least 66%+, so that I can start focusing back on Japanese… :angrykoichi:

#RESOURCES

• FAVE: WaniKani
  • LEAST FAVE:

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Speaking

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Not this month, thesis :scream:

See you next month! :angryviet:

1 Like

PROGRESS POST #: 2

###WANIKANI

• CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 8
  • IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 12

###GOALS
####LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:

• Daily Wanikani reviews - Got sidetracked a bit with somework stuff and had some days where I missed reviews. Was a bit hard to dig out off, but can’t be helped, I think.
  • Reading
  • Finish 「マンガ家さんとアシスタントさんと」- Got up to Volume 8/10, but then よとばと! came and I’ve been reading that instead.
  • Continue with 「ダンボール戦機」- Got sidetracked with ロロナのアトリエ, not sure if finishing games is a good goal, since regardless of language, I tend to be bad at that.
    ####THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
  • Try to read my first light novel
  • Try to keep all Wanikani levels under 10 days

###RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Wanikani, Manga, 3DS, Light Novels, youtube, twitter, https://www.amazon.co.jp/, http://buyee.jp/

FAVE: Currently really enjoying a bit of Yotsubato! as bedtime reading. It’s light-hearted, and a nice way to unwind before going to sleep. I like it a lot, so much so that I even got the ダンボー faceplates for my 3DS!

LEAST FAVE: N/A

TRY NEW RESOURCE: I bought some ラノベ, so it’ll be nice to see how I go with that?!

###JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Kanji/Vocab
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Wanikani, Reading

##HELPING OTHERS
One thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of popular fiction is cross media nowadays. So one thing might have a manga adaptation, a light novel, and an anime series.

If you don’t mind experiencing one thing in multiple ways, this can be a way to get additional context for your reading and/or listening if you’re struggling a bit. Since you kind of know what to expect, you have a bit of added context which might be able to help increase comprehension a bit. It has to be something you enjoy quite a bit though, since you’re basically coming at the same material from a different direction.

1 Like

PROGRESS POST #:2
WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL:5

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL 8
GOALS

Failed to be at level 6 and didn’t read enough grammar. Didn’t use memrise either.

I did use Anki and Lessons - JapaneseClass.jp for kanji and vocabulary.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Read more Tae Kim
RESOURCES

**CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:**Wanikani, kaniwani, memrise, youtube, Tae Kim, Anki and Lessons - JapaneseClass.jp.

FAVE: Wanikani/Anki
LEAST FAVE:I don’t want to know

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
Maybe some book from library

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: All around.

**HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE:**Read Tae Kim and get more vocabulary using memrise
HELPING OTHERS: Fighting spirit for everyone.

PROGRESS POST #1:

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 19

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 22

GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

1. Reach 500 J-E sentences on JalupNEXT
  2. Finish 80-20 Japanese read through & start in depth chapter review (chapters 1&2 minimum)
  3. Read chapters 2 and 3 of 僕らの食卓.
  4. Start putting together passive listening playlist.
  5. 15 lessons on Japanesepod101
  6. Watch 10-15 episodes of anime or drama with Japanese or no subtitles

RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: JalupNEXT, WaniKani, 80-20 Japanese, Japanesepod101, ebookJapan, Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, Animelon, Drama CDs, Youtube, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Memrise, Anime DVDs, Manga, Podcasts

FAVE: JalupNEXT, WaniKani, ebookJapan
LEAST FAVE: Eh. I toss most things I don’t like pretty quickly. Youtube maybe, as I don’t have a lot of Japanese channels that I use there.

TRY NEW RESOURCE: Animelon will be new for regular use for me this month.

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Listening/Speaking

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Adding passive listening, active listening while watching anime with Japanese or no subs, shadowing sentences on JalupNEXT, some reading aloud.

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Don’t feel like you have to stick with something that you hate just because it’s a highly recommended resource. If something doesn’t work for you, don’t force your way through it just because other people sing its praises. There are tons of resources out there so don’t hesitate to try something different. Everyone learns differently and there’s nothing wrong with having fun while you learn.

1 Like

PROGRESS POST 4:

Japanese Study Time: About four months

WANIKANI
-CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 18
-IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 22

GOALS
-LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: 新 Monthly Progress Challenge - #8 by anon93264938

• Reach level 18
  • Daily Goals [~] Haven’t been doing Anki at all.
  • Textbook Finished Genki II. Should probably review though.
  • Reading Finished my first visual novel. Now reading two visual novels and a video game. Should be able to finish one of the visual novels and be mostly done with the video game by the end of the month.

-Overall: Bit lazy as usual. Been neglecting vocab, so I’ll focus on that this month.

-THIS MONTH’S GOALS:

Daily

• Wanikani, Kaniwani, and Anki reviews
  • Reading (with or without Rikaisama)
  • Keep adding cards to Anki

Monthly

• Textbook
  • Review Genki II
  • Reading
  • Finish second visual novel. Get mostly through video game. Start another VN.
  • Vocab
  • Learn at least a thousand new words outside of WK.

RESOURCES
Current Japanese Resources: Genki II, visual novels, japanese video games, Rikaisama, WK, KW, Anki, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, Jisho, misc Japanese media, JP class discord

JAPANESE ABILITY
-Reading: Reads slowly. Comprehension is questionable.
-Grammar: N4 level
-Kanji: Knows around 600-700
-Vocab: Knows around 2000-2500
-Listening: Can’t understand much
-Writing (typing): Can write very basic sentences. Makes mistakes all the time. Slow and unnatural.
-Speaking: Very bad

See you next month.