文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

I completely agree with you on this topic.

1 Like

I was going to try and find all the N5 grammar points in the book ‘A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar /日本語基本文法辞典’ but I got a bit bored so I’ve found a few.

Grammar Page

だ

です

は

も

これ

の

か

でしょう

が

それ

がある

ここ

と

の(は)

~んです

だろう

あれ

そこ

を

がいる

で

106, 109

ている

あそこ

この

に

その

どこ

Also this says the grammar point is on page 46 but it is actually 543 (Unless this is another book with the same name?)

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Grr! I JUST ran into this again.

Prompt:
Because it is late, I want you to stay the night.
遅いから、____。「泊まる」
[casual]

I put 泊まりたい. Wrong. It wants 泊まって欲しい.

How can I know that until I’ve seen the same sentence so many times I recognize it? Is my answer wrong and I just don’t get the difference in grammar?

泊まりたい means "I want to stay the night. " You usually only use たい for things you want to do.

泊まって欲しい means “I want you to stay the night.” Note the use of the て form for asking others to do things.

8 Likes

Ha, well that’s why then. I was considering them two different ways to say the same thing, and that’s why I’m always getting them wrong. No doubt the other ones I’m mixing up have similar causes, somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.

Thanks for the teaching. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is this correct, or is there supposed to be に after てき?
I can’t figure out why is this the way it is and it drives me crazy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know this probably isn’t the right place to ask. But I use your app on my iPad when I’m at work. Is there any thought about making the app more native, and not just a web wrapper?

2 Likes

@ambo100 Thank you so much for taking the time to gather these page numbers! However, before you get too far, we want to let you know that we already have all of the page numbers for Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar in our database, we just have not had a chance to go through and add them to each grammar point. The reason for this is that the Dictionary of ______ Japanese Grammar books also include notes on related grammar (synonyms, antonyms, etc.) that we would like to go through and add alongside the page numbers. We are currently working on a better way to integrate related grammar into Bunpro, so adding page numbers from this particular resource has been put on the back burner until we do so. Thank you for letting us know about よ. There is some information about よ on page 46 and that is why we added that page number. We had just not gotten to page 543 yet. Page 543 has been added to readings for よ. If you would like our complete list of page numbers including related grammar for those particular grammar points, I will be glad to PM them to you over at the Bunpro Community. Thanks again for all of your contributions! It really means a lot to us. Cheers!

@ctmf We are sorry that you were experiencing confusion over these two grammar points! We are working on better ways to draw your attention to subtle differences like this that may not stand out immediately to you. If you have any suggestions, we would love to hear them. Thank you @lopicake for your excellent explanation! Cheers!

@nandeyanen Thank you for your question! Dropping に in this instance sounds more natural. Thank you for drawing this to our attention so that we could add a note and catch てきに as an alternative answer, rather than marking you incorrect. Cheers!

@Jinxyface Thank you for your question! Our goal is to have an entirely native app, however since Bunpro is being updated daily with new content and features it would be difficult to keep both the web app and the iOS/Android apps (both currently in Beta) consistent/up-to-date. Once we are closer to having Bunpro complete, we will work on making the mobile apps without any web views. Cheers!

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I think the web view for the iOS app works perfectly fine.

For what it’s worth, I think the web view for the iOS app works perfectly fine.

It’s nice. It’s just that I use a bluetooth keyboard on my iPad at work to do my studies, and the keyboard doesn’t work well in the Bunpro app.

1 Like

I now that the “lessons” are just a brief summary for sake of an easy reference, one should learn grammar using the sources cited, the main point of Bunpro is to practice the grammar… But that said I’m a bit puzzled by the lesson N5 > lesson 3 > うverbs. In the part “structure”, we have only a verb with the む ending. But there aren’t other Godan う verbs that have a different structure, in particular, with regarding the past tense?

You know, I’m thinking about giving this app another go solely based on how bloody friendly your replies are.

6 Likes

It sounds like you answered your own question… They can’t reasonably fit every conjugation for every verb ending. That’s why you need to read the linked resources.

P.S. You’re probably better off asking these questions on the Bunpro forums at this point.

1 Like

The page is only for U Godan verbs so they could easily fit the variations for the past tense (since the te- form is similar and the rest follows straightforward rules): つ or る or う goes to った;す goes to した ; む or ぬ or ぶ goes to んだ;く goes to いた; ぐ goes to いだ. As it is, one might have the wrong impression that all godan verbs conjugate the past as the one’s with む ending.

Quick thing for light mode, I think it the forward and back arrows should be black. I dunno if this is a bug or not, but they’re very hard to see currently.

2 Likes

Hi! Is there a way to contact you regarding my subscription? Preferably not the Pseudo DM thread.

@sergiop Thank you for your comments and your insight. We will see what we can do to improve how we display verbs and how they function on Bunpro. Cheers!

@kappaka We would love to have you back! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

@Jinxyface Thank you for your feedback and suggestion! We will see what we can do about improving the visibility of the navigational arrows on the site. Cheers!

@gojarappe Shoot us an email at support@mail.bunpro.jp and we would be glad to help you out. Cheers!

2 Likes

Okay, I stopped using Bunpro when it turned into a paid-for site. Not because I’m against paying, but just because I’m constantly skint and can’t really justify spending what little cash I do have on another learning site. Like I said on this thread months ago, after WK, if I were to spend any more money on Japanese, it would definitely be Bunpro.

Well… I’ve just scraped through N5 (only just) and know that if there is one thing that’s going to help revise that N5 grammar and help me start preparing for N4 it’s going to be Bunpro. So, here goes, new subscription coming up…

Thank you again @pushindawood for this amazing resource!

5 Likes

Now that I’ve finally “finished” WK I’ve got more time to brush up my grammar with 文プロ!

If I send feedback on a review, you guys see which review I’m sending it from, right? I’m asking because copy/pasting the review into feedback is kind of a pain because even with furigana hidden, every kanji gets its furigana pasted in immediately after. (Is there a way to make the furigana “immune” to Ctrl+C?)

Also, ghost reviews have probably been discussed in detail, but where can I read about how exactly they function? A couple concerns (that may have already been addressed):

• Especially on newer grammar points, there’s a good chance I may have forgotten the point itself altogether, not any specific nuance in the sentence
  • I’ve been working through a backlog of ~250 over the past week, but some ghost reviews have resurfaced ~3-5 times already despite there still being ~100 reviews I haven’t seen in months

I went into settings and set ghost reviews to “minimal,” but I’m still seeing some at the top of my pile when I’d really rather not see them til the bottom of the pile. They’re being exposed so frequently that it’s defeating the purpose of having ~12 sentences per grammar point— I just vaguely remember certain sentences and think, “oh, this one wants this here.”

4 Likes