文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

The tap targets on the iOS app are pretty small. Especially since oops/>>>/report error are all right next to each other.

3 Likes

@pushindawood You may say that all of your sentences are created in house, but at the very least I think they are “inspired by” the resources you link to.

For example, with と~と、どちらが.

Example sentence on Bunpro:
「コーヒーとお茶ちゃとどちらがほしいですか。」

Example sentence on Puni Puni:
「お茶とコーヒーと、どちらの方が好きですか。」

I’ve seen enough similar sentences like this, that I’m having a hard time being convinced that they are all completely made in house.

Something else I’ve noticed that I’m curious about. When する and くる have special conjugations, why do you mention it on the left side underneath the meaning instead of with the structure? Not that it matter much, but I wanted to know if there was a particular reason for it.

2 Likes

@pushindawood Is there any reason you use two different versions of Tae Kim’s guide? For example, these two:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/conditionals#General_conditionals_using

Got another one. On the grammar and lesson tabs, we can center/right click to open items in new tabs. But this doesn’t work in the profile’s “show upcoming grammar” section. Please allow center/right click to work there so it works like a normal link.

Also, what’s with the “grammar still being studied” on the profile? I feel like that could be reasonable/helpful if you checked off readings for a grammar point but didn’t add it to your study queue. But I haven’t done that for the item that’s showing this, so it’s just noise. I may not get to that item for months, and I’d rather it not stay in the “show upcoming grammar” section of my profile.

Here’s another one. The readings for かどうか also discuss using か for sentences like 「あなたの誕生日はいつか教えてください」 (from the second reading). Is there a dedicated grammar point for this on Bunpro? If not, maybe you should consider adding it.

2 Likes

That would mean you can’t compare what you wrote to the right answer. You need to type in a separate place to be able to do that and see where you went wrong. If it was a typo you can see by comparing what you typed to the correct answer. If it was only a typo you can delete what you typed and correct it so you don’t have to do it again. Tbh I also do that if I got the grammar point right but conjugated a verb wrong like not realising it was a u-verb.

7 Likes

I’m hoping someone can clarify this sentence for the grammar point みたいに・みたいな

上手になりたいから、日本人みたいに漢字ドリルをしてみる。
Because I want to get better (at Japanese), I will try Kanji drills like Japanese people.

As I understand the concept

• If the みたい part is before a Verb, it becomes みたいに
  • if the みたい part is before a Noun, it becomes みたいな

In the example sentence above, 漢字ドリル (noun) comes after みたいに. Is this a mistake? In my mind 日本人みたいな漢字ドリル sounds more natural, but I don’t really trust my instincts enough. :sweat_smile:

The other alternative I can see is if みたいに looks forward, to the してみる part at the end of the sentence.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

日本人みたいな漢字ドリル would be “kanji drills that are like Japanese people”. I don’t know what that would mean.

The key point here is that when it’s みたいに it modifies the verb that comes after it and if it’s みたいな it modifies the noun that comes after it. It can have other things in between.

5 Likes

I asked a friend about it also and got the same reasoning. I think I understand it a bit better now.

Thank you Leebo! :sparkles:

2 Likes

I know! But why does it shout at me like this :wink:

[IOW: Can you please adapt the font size to the rest of the page? Also, there is a glitch with the “Next Review” display and the horizontal line.]

2 Likes

I just learned the “V stem + かた” (how to do something) grammar point, but I cannot find it on Bunpro… Did I miss it? (I used the grammar search feature.) Or do you plan to add it?

2 Likes

When I’m starting my reviews, I briefly see a review sentence, which gets replaced by an indicator “Grabbing your reviews”, and only then I get the first proper review sentence with which can start reviews. It would be better to hide the initial review sentence, I think…

1 Like

I just want to say: Bunpro is an amazing tool and it really helped me both speed up and organize the way I study. Thank you! Just got Lifetime, baby.

Now a bit of feedback: I wish bunpro was a bit more “transparent” with how its SRS system works when you answer each review. I would appreciate an indicator showing the status of each grammar point as I answer such as “correct, next review in 30 days” or “wrong, -1 SR, next review in 4 hours”. That could be toggled on settings, as I figure a lot of people wouldn’t want that.

6 Likes

If Bunpro had an Android app, I would instabuy a lifetime subscription. It’s such a pain in the arse to use Bunpro on Chrome mobile where everything is so small… :disappointed: That’s why I’m still hesitating.

And also +1 for the toggled SRS indicator, that would be so helpful!

3 Likes

Just wondering @pushindawood … Is the free month you’re offering to everyone available even after subscribing? I’m just wondering. Because imagine this scenario: I wanna subscribe to Bunpro, but I know you’ll be offering me 1 month free of charge. What do I do? I use that free month right away and take one extra month to subscribe. What will happen is that the money will take 1 extra month to get into your pockets. This will happen in a time where you need the money to keep improving your website.

Solution: give the chance for people to convert that extra month into subscription time (in case they do subscribe). This way, nothing will stop us from subscribing right away. To be honest, it can actually accelerate things (since prices will go up with time).

4 Likes

it’s on alpha, I think you can e-mail them for apk

edit: that’s the e-mail android@mail.bunpro.jp

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for info :smile:
Guess I’ll soon have to kiss my wallet goodbye xD

2 Likes

If you use chrome and add it to the home screen, it’ll be completely full screen and essentially act as an app (minus any status bar notification)

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, the iOS version is just a web view with a few other screens. Don’t expect it to help the size of things.

2 Likes

I’m just wondering if there’s a way to change your displayed name as it shows on the browser tab? Mine is wrong but I can’t find any settings to change your name anywhere in the settings. Anyone know? I know it’s trivial, but it annoys me a bit.

1 Like

@pushindawood I just noticed that in example sentences for “WA” these don’t seem to have audio

公園こうえんは広ひろい。
The park (as the topic of this sentence) is spacious (wide).

彼かれは真面目まじめです。
He (as the topic of this sentence) is serious.

just an fyi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there

do you mean the user name ? I changed mine recently.

you go to settings

where it says update your profile on the left hand side you type in your new wanted name over were your old one is displayed, and then your current password where it asks for it and that changes it (if that’s what your talking about if not just ignore this :slight_smile: )

1 Like