文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

It’s possible to support (on the Support page) BunPro via PayPal, but I haven’t seen whether it’s possible to pay for the subscription that way.

2 Likes

To avoid further confusion, you may find it advantageous to add the concept of hidden grammar points. (Grammar points that exist but don’t show up in lessons.) At the very least, you’ll be able to prevent new users from adding duplicates.

A variant would be to prevent the points from also showing up in reviews, which is how you can de-dupe these grammar points. If you make an announcement with a direct link to the removed grammar point, users can still recover their notes and study questions. Review progress won’t transfer between the duplicate points, but I don’t think that’s really a major concern.

For reference, WaniKani (WaniKani Updates April 18, 2018) also removes items. The associated reviews simply disappear.

2 Likes

Grammar point: ~ようとしたが

In the structure board, Verb[volitional] + としたら + Result is also mentioned. Why? As far as I know, Verb[volitional] + としたら is different than Verb[volitional] + としたが/としたけれど.

@pushindawood Related to your reply related to the two grammar points that share duplicates, you could just make an announcement saying which one you are going to delete and when. The notice would only disappear after people confirmed that it’s okay to remove (aka after they saved their notes, etc). Not everything needs to be perfect.

4 Likes

To add to this, it’s a good idea to add a deadline. Some users may have churned, and some will ignore the notice. Basically, don’t expect to get a 100% response rate.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Torere Hello! Thank you for your comment. Similar to the Wanikani apps that you can find on both the App Store and the Play Store, neither app is being developed by us, but rather by users (@Rion for the iOS app) that offered their help to make Bunpro more accessible to everyone. We will talk with the developers to see if purchasing a Lifetime Membership through either of the stores is a viable option. Cheers!

@seanblue We have given your suggestion a lot of thought, but we have decided to only offer the Lifetime Membership at this price for users willing to take a chance on us and become lifetime members from the outset. That being said, we are almost certain we will offer sales/discounts on the lifetime membership in the future. Cheers!

@Dwarsen We apologize for the way that we worded our post. We did not mean that the two grammar points that appear on Bunpro are exact duplicates, but two separate entities that were added at two separate times that contain the same grammar point. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers!

@leneux We hope to have a PayPal option available to you very soon! Thank you for your patience and interest in becoming a lifetime member. Cheers!

@BobaGakusei and @jprspereira Thank you both for your suggestions on how to best deal with the duplicate grammar points on Bunpro. We will see what we can do. Cheers!

2 Likes

…which again brings me to the original question, shouldn’t they contain identical information then, if they’re the same grammar point? :slight_smile:

Only one information box can be correct. Which one is it?

2 Likes

Grammar point: 当たり

This is just me nickpicking, but check this sentence out:

これは1個こ当あたり9キロカロリーあります。
These have 9000 calories per one.

The calories we ingest on a daily basis are not measured in calories, but in kilocalories. For example, saying that the average adult needs around 2000 calories/day is actually wrong. It’s kilocalories. Cookies have kilocalories, not calories.

My point is that this example sentence is saying that x has 9kcals, which is literally 2 grams of sugar (which is like 1/4 of a sugar packet). 1 single bar of kit-kat has 120kcals or 120000 calories.

Easy answer: you can change the number to “50 kilocalories” (both JP and EN versions) and solve the problem.

2 Likes

@pushindawood The site says I have done 1/182 for N3. I never took any lessons in N3, so I thought maybe you moved an item from N5 or N4 to N3. But when I checked every group in N3, none of the items were highlighted as if I was studying them. So I don’t know where that one item is coming from.

No one ever makes that distinction in real life. In fact, you’re just going to confuse the average person if you say kilocalories in conversation.

From the “calorie” wikipedia article.

“The word calorie is popularly used with the number of kilocalories of nutritional energy measured. As if to avoid confusion, it is sometimes written Calorie (with a capital “C”) in an attempt to make the distinction, although this is not widely understood.”

5 Likes

That’s precisely why I feel something should be changed. On one side you have キロカロリー and on the other you have “9000 calories”, which is indeed correct but an absurd amount for those reading it (no matter if you interpret it as kcals or just cals). You either use カロリー for the JP sentence and calories for the EN (even though the number itself has no logic) or use キロカロリー for both. It’s not just a matter of people calling cals to kcals, it’s also a matter of accurate translation. Japanese do use カロリー instead of キロカロリー, don’t they? :thinking:

4 Likes

I mean, I have a Japanese coke right now, and it says 45kcal on the back (which is per 100ml, I believe).
An American bottle would say Calories 45 (or whatever that would be in an American serving size)

I’m not sure what they’d say in conversation in Japanese, though both words do exist. I tend to hear カロリー in things like カロリーオフ for zero-calorie things. I haven’t personally had a conversation where calories come up.

I’d lean toward changing the Japanese if possible, but I don’t know that that’s a better Japanese sentence.

EDIT: My girlfriend was napping and just woke up, and I immediately pointed to the bottle and said "100ml当たりエネルギー45… " trailing off to let her finish the sentence without prompting a specific idea, and she said キロカロリー, and she said that’s normally what people would say. Let’s give her a hand for being a good sport.

6 Likes

Yeah, like I said, I’m just nick picking xD And I probably made my explanation more confusing than it should have been. So I’ll make a quick summary of what I meant:

• The right measure is kcals. That’s why your coke has kcals in it. It’s a nutrition facts label of a product so it has to be accurate.
  • People call it as calories/カロリー (Japan included, at least from what I’ve seen).
  • Respect to your girlfriend for saying キロカロリー :stuck_out_tongue:
  • The JP sentence mentions 9 kilocalories, pushing the correct measure. That would be 20ml of your coke.
  • In the translation however, it mentions 9000 calories. The conversion is correct, but people will find it strange, since they think in calories. To them, your coke would have 45 calories per 100ml. Something having 9000 calories is just strange. You’d have to eat 1kg of butter to get that (before something blows up).
  • So Bunpro should either use キロカロリー/kilocalories (accurate measurement) or カロリー/calories (common way of saying and understanding <= this would definitely be better, although your girlfriend says the opposite, so whatever :man_shrugging: ).
3 Likes

Just taking a jab at the American nutrition label? :slight_smile:

Basically no Americans would ever say kilocalories if prompted same way, so I somehow doubt the ratio of usage is the same in Japan.

1 Like

Dumb Americans! Not at all :stuck_out_tongue: I just guess that FDA chose to go for what people call it. Even Dietitians/Nutritionists call it as calories, since that’s how it’s understood.

1 Like

The update looks nice, but I was just having issues with submitting answers for a couple items. Like I would hit enter on my keyboard then it would lock up. I could’t type any more, or backspace. If I manually hit submit it would continue.

It still feels like it has trouble choosing a sentence as well. Like I said before, it shows multiple(?) sentences then refreshing to show the correct sentence.

@pushindawood Really awesome site. Thank you for the hard work !

My question I want to get a life time membership but not sure if this will be taken in one full sum or if it will be taken off monthly? sorry if this seem like a silly question.

1 Like

Lifetime memberships are generally lump sum, one time payments.

3 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

The bottom portion of the review layout is now a black background instead of white. It makes it a bit harder to see what’s going on.