文プロ(Bunpro): Profile Sharing - Feb 1st, 2024 - Japanese SRS Study Site

The blue looks great!
And I love how it turns to green or red depending on your answer!
Thank you!

3 Likes

. . … … … … wow. such impressed. very learning.

i’ll test out the free trial month to see if i can work with the standard verb model after having learned the japanese-from-zero variant (which i personally found makes more sense) but despite that i’m quite certain i’ll subscribe.

1 Like

Just a tiny thing…
The answer is きてはいけません, but the audio gives きてはいけない.

1 Like

@ghostofshikaji Thank you for stopping by! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience with Bunpro. Cheers!

@marcusp Thank you for letting us know! We will get that corrected immediately. Cheers!

1 Like

I keep failing the ‘なくちゃ・なきゃ’ grammar point in the SRS. I’ve been through the resources and watched the Japanese Ammo video twice but I’m not sure when I should be choosing between なくちゃ and なきゃ. I feel like I’m missing something.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, they’re interchangable. They seem to me like they’re both casual abbreviations of なくては.

2 Likes

@ambo100 I also think they are basically interchangeable. If you are getting marked wrong for choosing the wrong one I recommend you ask in the Bunpro forums.

@bladepoint By the way, I think なくちゃ is short for なくては and なきゃ is short for なければ, though I’m not sure if the distinction matters. If you say each full form fast and slurred you can kind of hear how it results in each short form.

2 Likes

I read somewhere (possibly Tae Kim) that they mean, as seanblue said, なくては and なければ. So whatever distinction there is between those is the same? I ALSO read that you can’t always use なくちゃ and have to use the other one instead, but infuriatingly, it didn’t say when you didn’t have a choice. So, does that mean, just always pick the なきゃ version until you really know what you’re doing? :slight_smile:

But this is a little off the BunPro topic I guess.

1 Like

@ambo100 Thank you for your inquiry. Bunpro accepts なくちゃ, なくちゃいけない, なきゃ and なきゃいけない for all review questions. So, if you were to receive the review sentence

暑いので水を________。[飲む] I must drink water because it is hot.,

the acceptable answers are のまなきゃいけない, のまなくちゃいけない, のまなくちゃ, and のまなきゃ. @seanblue is correct that these two forms are basically interchangeable and that なくちゃ is short for なくては and なきゃ is short for なければ (although we are not particular about this distinction here). Would you mind sharing some of the answers that you are putting in and getting wrong so that we can figure out why this grammar point may be giving you trouble? Cheers!

@bladepoint and @ctmf Thank you for your input! Anything related to grammar is on topic with Bunpro! I believe the difference between なくちゃ and なきゃ comes from the roots of these two forms, なくては and なければ respectively. なくは implies that it is part of a connecting phrase (“I don’t do ____, it’s…”), while なけれ implies that the phrase is hypothetical ("If I don’t do ____, then it’s…). なくちゃ is also known to sound a little more “cutesy” than なきゃ, but that comes down to personal preference. Other than those small differences, there really isn’t anything that should prevent you from saying one over the other. If there is, we would love to hear more about it so that we can provide you with the most accurate information possible. Cheers!

5 Likes

the wanikani furigana toggle works well, except that sometimes there will be a character from my current level without furigana, where i have already learned the kanji item but not the specific vocabulary with possibly another reading. for instance, i know 覚 as カク but not yet 覚える, which i have to toggle manually. does the automatic toggle work just by level, not learned items?

also, a feature request: i’d like to set my own named links in the readings section of a study item, would that be possible? it seems i can’t add links to notes (?) but even if, i often wouldn’t know what excact page/video the saved URL links to.

(hope my explanations make sense ^.^)

other than that i’m still nothing but amazed at how well this site works! actually real fun to be quizzed on grammar like that!

1 Like

You could just put a name right before the link in your notes. Both a name and a link are just text, so it should work even if it’s not pretty. :man_shrugging:

However, if it’s a good resource maybe recommend it to them so it’s added to the site for the rest of us. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ghostofshikaji Thank you for your question and for your kind words! Right now, the furigana toggle only works for kanji that you have learned on Wanikani. Unfortunately, that means that furigana will be turned off from a kanji regardless if is the reading that you learned for just the kanji or if it is a reading you have yet to learn that appears in vocabulary. We would like to do a rework in the future to make Bunpro smarter at what furigana it chooses to hide and what it chooses to display depending on your Wanikani level. The ability to add prettier URLs (hyperlinks) to notes is something that we could potentially add. Right now the way that links are displayed in notes are not the most appealing. We will see what we can do! For now, as @seanblue mentioned, if you have suggestions on links that you would like to see added to the readings, we would love to hear them!

2 Likes

well, usually there’s only very few kanji anyway where furigana is turned off a bit too soon, so if that something that will be implemented in the future i’ll gladly wait for that and meanwhile just try to speed up my vocab reviews on WK a bit :sweat_smile:

the thing is that links aren’t displayed until i open a note to edit and although it still works well enough, it’s indeed not very appealing

also the ones i’d like to set are often links to files on a private cloud or links to a paid-for online text book, where you have to be logged in, and such.

1 Like

@ghostofshikaji Thank you for your comment. We hope to get the Wanikani furigana feature reworked as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience! Would you like the links clickable without opening up the note itself or just displayed in the note preview? If it is the former, it might be better for us to give you the ability to add your own links under the Readings tab. If you just want a preview of the link, then that is something that we could probably have for you much sooner. Cheers!

1 Like

sweet! it’s the former option i’d like to have (clickable links without opening the notes), so being able to add my own links in the reading tab would be amazing!

2 Likes

@ghostofshikaji We will add this to our to-do list! Please let us know if you have any other suggestions. Cheers!

2 Likes

Funny that, I was just thinking about this just a few hours ago. I was studying the grammar point なら and found a really very good explanation on a video from LJFRG (the section on なら starts at 4:20). I actually wanted to recommend it to you at Bunpro but wasn’t sure where to do so (apart from here on this thread). I even went to the forum to find a post on なら but no luck. Anyway, you have it now! Thanks again for a great site!

1 Like

@marcusp Thank you so much for providing this resource! We have added it to the なら readings section. We are still working on getting each grammar point their own unique forum discussion page. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

1 Like

Well, I am impressed!

Sept. 3 update finally got me to try Bunpro out and most likely I’m subscribing after the trial period ends. :smile:

One question though (quick search yielded no answers): I’m going through N4 level now and voiced sentences stop at some point. I find them really helpful, so when can an update for currently unvoiced sentences be expected?

Thanks! :smiley:

@Uzuki We are delighted to hear that! Thank you for your kind words and interest in subscribing. We hope to have the rest of N4 audio up in the next few days. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience. Cheers!

4 Likes