文プロ(Bunpro): Profile Sharing - Feb 1st, 2024 - Japanese SRS Study Site

Hey @pushindawood I am loving all the recent updates to Bunpro!

I think I have a bug to report. I’ve been playing around with the “related grammar” section and I found that if I am trying to look at a related grammar point when I am in “Study” mode (learning something new), the pop-up section doesn’t seem to appear. However, if I am in “Lessons” or “Grammar” mode (looking up a grammar point), the pop-up section works perfectly. I am using Google Chrome on desktop.

Here’s how it looks in “Study” mode (bug, doesn’t pop up correctly):

When I am looking at example sentences in “Study” mode I get the collapsed view but the related point doesn’t pop up:

The way it works normally in “Lessons” or “Grammar” mode:

I really love this feature. Is it possible to also show which JLPT level a related grammar point is part of once it’s been clicked? Maybe something like this:

1 Like

@JavaSparrow Thank you for your comment and suggestion! We apologize for the inconvenience! We will get related grammar back up and running in Study mode as soon as we can. We like your suggestion of adding JLPT level information to related grammar. We will see what we can do. Cheers!

1 Like

Update! - October 7, 2018

New N2!

N2, Lesson 7 is now available! 20 new grammar points to further your studies!

Dark Mode

After introducing a new look for Bunpro, we received a number of requests for a modern look with a darker color palette.

Go to Account, Settings, Site Theme, and choose Modern Dark to try it out. Please let us know what you think!

Related Grammar

N5 and N4 lessons have now been populated with over 900 related grammar structures.

Compare and contrast similar grammar structures, nuances, and example sentences side-by-side, all in the same window.

New Audio - All of N4 now has audio accompanying each example sentence and study question!

Bug fixes:
・Japanese and English sentences that require two or more lines should no longer overlap each other.
・Notes no longer preserve styling when copying and pasting from other sites, which means they should now display normally and not interfere with any content on the grammar page.

Thank you for all of your kind words, support, feedback, bug reports and suggestions. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience! Cheers!

14 Likes

This website has helped me more than anything else i think. Textbooks are just so hard to swallow. Like wanikani though this srs system has really helped ingrain some grammar into me lol.

3 Likes

@MajesticSlothMan Thank you so much for your kind words! You truly are majestic! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

1 Like

The hype is real :open_mouth:

Thank you so much! x3

1 Like

@JavaSparrow Related grammar should be fully functional in Study now. Thank you for your patience! We are still working on incorporating additional information, like JLPT level, into related grammar and hope to have something for you soon. Cheers!

1 Like

@pushindawood Thanks a lot! It’s working perfectly now. :+1:

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to work. When I review something between N4 lesson 7 and N4 lesson 10, there is no audio (I have auto audioplay enabled), but when I go to see the item’s through the grammar page, the audio is there. I tried wrapping up the reviews, disabling automatic audioplay, enabling it again and reviewing again, but it didn’t work. I’ll try to see if logging out has any effect next.

Anyway, thanks for really awesome work! :smile: I subscribed this week.

1 Like

So the one thing that keeps bugging me as I try to relearn my early grammar after not practicing for two years is for う-verbs. In my reviews I keep having it give me reviews where I need to conjugate using んだ when I haven’t done た-form as a lesson yet (especially because んだ doesn’t seem to be in any of the extra example sentences). I think る-verbs are nice review in conjugating to the long form and the simple negative forms, but う-verbs don’t follow that same format.

@Uzuki Thank you for your comment and for subscribing! We apologize for the audio issue. There were some discrepancies between the audio that was in example sentences and the the audio that was showing up in reviews. We are currently going through all of the audio and straightening these out. We hope to have audio up and running in reviews soon. Thank you for your patience! Cheers!

@fandomslight Thank you for your comment and for trying out Bunpro! There should be no past tense sentences in the う-verb or る-verb lessons. Both う-verb and る-verb lessons focus on conjugating the long form and simple negative forms. Have you added the Verb[た] lesson to your review queue by accident? Please let us know if you continue to get asked to make past tense conjugations when you have yet to add the た-verbs lesson. Cheers!

2 Likes

Update! October 12, 2018

N2, Lesson 8 is now available! 24 new grammar points !

7 Likes

As always, thank you for your awesome work! It’s a pleasure using your service! :blush:

There’s another thing I noticed:

I would have translated 「入れる」as ‘pouring’. According to jisho.org at least the いれる for brewing is 「淹れる」. So either the translation should be changed to “thanks for pouring the coffee” or the kanji should be changed to 淹れる. :thinking: This got me confused for a moment.

1 Like

While it’s true that 淹れる is the specific kanji for brewing coffee/tea, it’s commonly written using the more general 入れる. When googling コーヒーを淹れる, you get about 7,000,000 results, while for コーヒーを入れる, it’s about 46,000,000. There’s also lots of example sentences on weblio that use 入れる.

2 Likes

淹れる is specific to making coffee/tea, while 入れる can also mean a lot of other things. I guess the reason the latter is more common than the former is simply due to convenience. “Why have a key for every door if you can have one that opens all of them?” kinda of thing.

Edit: Aaa why didn’t I backread xD

5 Likes

:open_mouth: Well, the more you know. I thought 入れる sounds weird, because it means pouring, went searching and indeed found 淹れる. But I didn’t know that. Thanks for teaching! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey I’m just now checking this out, but what is the difference between study and lessons tabs? Should one do the study before lessons or does it matter?

1 Like

Study is the planned studying, It will do whatever the next 3 lessons are. Lessons is just kind of the index page. You can freely browse every level and every lesson and manually add/remove/mark as “known” any lesson you want, say if there’s things you already know or want a refresher on

3 Likes

@athomasm Welcome! Adding to what @Jinxyface said, the Study feature was put in place for those who prefer to have more structure with a set number of lessons to follow. However, we originally created Bunpro for those self-studiers out there who prefer to choose when, what, and how much to study so that is why we have the Lessons page.

The Study page batches a number of grammar points together, so that you can go through all of them at once and be quizzed at the end. The batch and JLPT level can be set in settings and the quiz at the end automatically adds those grammar points to your review queue. Right now you can study an unlimited number of batches, but we recommend that you take your time and familiarize yourself with the content and really feel comfortable before moving on. The Readings that you click on in Study will automatically be ticked in Lessons (so that you can keep track of what you have read).

On the Lessons page, each grammar point has information on your SRS progress, as well as a fourth option to add your own sentences (Self Study) to show up along Bunpro reviews in your queue.

@Jinxyface thank you for your excellent explanations!

We hope that this answers your questions! Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks @Jinxyface and @pushindawood. That helps a lot.

1 Like