文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

I recommend you buy a lifetime membership, then you can take as long as you need. Takes a while to learn Japanese.

Do the other things have listening? Japanesepod has hundreds of short conversations in Japanese done by native voice actors, followed by discussion about the vocab, grammar, and even bits about daily life in Japan that come up. Usually a Japanese and an English speaker do that bit between them. It’s really good.

Ah, but audio for words is a lot different to full conversations.

I guess it depends on one’s needs. I don’t need that right now, since my main goal is to be able to read, not converse. But it’s a great resource for future reference. The option for a tutor is a great addition.

2 Likes

i bought a yearly one and I’ve heard rumours that sometimes the lifetime goes on sale so I’m crossing my fingers for that

@jprspereira That means a lot to us! Thank you!

@Gabrielmpf Thank you for your kind words! We are happy to hear that Bunpro is among your go-to study resources. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

@veryslowlearner We are so glad to hear that Bunpro has helped you stay motivated. We hope that we can continue to improve upon the review system to give you a better idea of what Bunpro is looking for. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions or feedback. Cheers!

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of WK’s lifetime sale. Bunpro just started being a paid service this year so there hasn’t even been time to have a “sale” yet, haha.

3 Likes

Ah yes! I got confused!
ごめんなさい!

I am extremely slow on BunPro at the moment. WK is typically a memorization tool, but with BP you really have to think it through. It’s good though

2 Likes
:caught_durtling: * hint hint *:caught_durtling:
5 Likes

3 Likes

@pushindawood: I’ve been using the site for a while now and have to echo what others have said – it’s gone from being a really nice proof-of-concept to a genuinely awesome site. I want to call out the ghost item feature in particular – it solves a real problem I had with the early versions (in that certain items would reveal issues I have with other, unrelated points, but give me no way to practice them) in a creative and useful way. I’ve benefited tremendously from that so far.

One minor question – apologies if I’m just missing the obvious, but after getting an item wrong and revealing the correct answer, is there no way to switch back to my submitted answer so that I can more clearly see the difference? Right now, it seems like once you reveal the correct answer, the submitted answer can no longer be viewed? Is that right?

I’ve noticed from time to time that I’ll get something wrong, reveal the correct answer, and then have a wait-I-could-have-sworn-that-was-what-I-already-entered-:confused: moment. It seems pretty clear when that happens that the issue was that I made some sort of typo or subtle error, but without being able to pinpoint exactly where, I can’t make an effort to avoid that specific mistake again in the future.

At minimum, I think it would be really useful if I could toggle back and forth between my submitted answer and the correct one. Ideally, it would be even better if I could see them side-by-side at the same time – that would make the issue immediately obvious, without me having to try and keep the two in my head at once.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there, as it’s something that has been a minor pain point for me over the past few months. Overall, though, it’s been excellent, keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, you can still see the input field where you entered your answer, is that what you are looking for? It is bright red after you entered a wrong answer. So you can see them side-by-side:

I still think that it is a bit hard to compare the answer especially if it is a really long phrase. So I think we already had a discussion about possible improvement in this thread some time ago. One suggestion was e.g. highlighting the differences between my wrong answer and the correct answer, so that it is easier to pick out what exactly went wrong.

3 Likes

Oh. Well… I feel pretty dumb now, haha. :slight_smile:

I just tried it again and you’re absolutely right. I have no idea how I’ve been overlooking that this whole time. :anguished: It’s completely obvious in your screenshot. I guess I’ve been somehow getting so fixated on the green answer that I’ve overlooked the rest of the UI? Weird.

Anyway, thanks Nicole. :slight_smile: I agree that having better highlighting for the discrepancy would be useful as well, although you just solved the biggest problem I was having (namely, that I was being pretty stupid :smiley:).

5 Likes

I’m sorry if this has already been resolved/brought up :sweat_smile:
I’ve noticed these new numbers in parentheses next to my current grammar count?
When I hover over it it says “Future grammar count” but I’m not sure exactly what it means/does. What’s this number for?

2 Likes

I’ve seen it too. It’s probably the number of new grammar points they will be adding very soon. Or I could be completely wrong, it’s just a guess :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I didn’t think about that :thinking: If that’s the case I’m gonna have to readjust my deadline for N4 if there’s 23 more grammar points coming :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s precisely what it is. If you go into the “Lessons” tab and sift through N4-N2, you’ll see faint grammar points not added yet, hovering over them also says “future grammar”. So they are indeed upcoming additions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint! But I think quality control needs to kick in at some point :wink:

1 Like

@MosbyNeko Thank you for your feedback! Echoing what @NicoleIsEnough has said, it is still pretty difficult to compare the answer that Bunpro was looking for with the answer that you have submitted. This means that the interface that we currently have in place is not as intuitive as it could be and could use some improvement. We hope to have a viable solution to you soon. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

@Whologist, @Gabrielmpf and @Jinxyface thank you all for your comments and contributions to the discussion. We are currently in the process of setting up a new feature called “Paths”. Paths will give everyone the opportunity to study with the textbook of their choice. Starting with Genki, you will be able to use Bunpro alongside your textbook to review what you are learning, chapter by chapter, grammar point by grammar point.

While compiling grammar for this new feature, we came across some grammar points that we believe deserved a spot on Bunpro. “Future grammar” points are not only grammar points that we would like to add in the near future, but those that appear in a variety of textbooks. They act as placeholders so that you can see where they may fall in a JLPT level or other textbook so that you can more quickly compare and contrast multiple resources all in one place.

We are not sure if all of the grammar points listed as “future grammar” will make the final cut, but we wanted to at least give everyone the ability to reference their textbook and search for resources right on Bunpro as quickly as possible. We apologize for the confusion! Cheers!

@NicoleIsEnough らしい is a pretty diverse grammar point that carries more than one meaning. For this reason we thought it best to split it into two separate pages. One page focuses on the らしい that carries the meaning of “seemingly” or “appearing” (expressing judgement on evidence or hearsay), while the other page will focus on “typical of” or “appropriate for” meaning of らしい. Thank you for your response to @MosbyNeko! Cheers!

3 Likes

Ah, gotcha! I was quite confused because both of the grammar points refer to the exact same pages in the same books, so they looked quite redundant to me.
Suggestion: With the new search feature, there is soooo much space in the boxes for the grammar points (on Desktop at least) - how about adding the English meaning to it as well? That would clarify things quickly. Or maybe make the “translation hover” also work on the future grammar points?

3 Likes