文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

I tried answering the below question using a ーている form and was marked wrong… can anyone help clarify what different nuance changing 見続ける to ーている gives? Thanks.

テレビを見続けるつもりですか。
Do you plan on continuing to watch TV?

1 Like

I’ve spotted several furigana mistakes especially in the N3 and N2 sections. I’ve reported a few but I think you guys should go over them again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been saying this for weeks now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I checked the notifications and I have them all on. I think I’ve had one badge and one notification since I started using the app. Didn’t realise about the timing though.

A better clue would be “for the sake of”

EDIT:

Not sure what the (う) is doing there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@BobaGakusei Thank you for your comment! This is a very good point that we admit that we overlooked. Thank you for pointing this out to us! We will work on creating a more intuitive feedback form. Cheers!

@BBrookes03 Thank you for your questions! We are still playing around with how the SRS, streak and review sentences correspond with each other. However, the current SRS algorithm is 4hrs, 8hrs, 24hrs, 2 days, 4 days, 8 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months. If you get a grammar point incorrect it drops your streak down by one and cuts the SRS in half (rounded-up). A grammar point is never officially “burned”, but if you get it correct 12 times in a row you get a fancy gold Bunpro stamp (hanko) and it will not reappear in your review queue for another 20 years! We are thinking about implementing heavier penalties (further decreases in streak) if you get an item wrong multiple times and “resurrecting” sentences that you have already studied to further reinforce your understanding of the grammar point. We hope this answers your questions! Cheers!

@konekush Thank you for your feedback and for pointing this out to us! We have updated the site with proper pronouns and furigana. Cheers!

@baggykiin Thank you for your feedback and for drawing this to our attention! We have updated the minimal hint to include the tense and politeness for these sentences. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we iron out all of the kinks! Cheers!

@jprspereira Thank you for all of your feedback, suggestions and corrections! Everything that you have suggested should now be reflected on Bunpro. EDIT: The [う] is there to indicate that the verb is an う-verb. Cheers!

@maxb Thank you for your question! We apologize for the confusion. This is a tough one, because it does not translate eloquently in English. Perhaps we should change the English translation to something along the lines of “Do you plan to continue to watch TV?” to make it a little less confusing. Cheers!

@Nedeli Thank you for reporting your findings! We are doing our best to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, but we will still inevitably miss a few things. Your feedback is extremely beneficial to us and we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know what we missed so that we can get it fixed and make the site better for everyone. Cheers!

5 Likes

Regarding the う・る thing in brackets, could you also show 五段・一段? Not everybody uses the う・る terminology and I personally find it really confusing and hard to remember.

Also, I saw that you now change the “English” button between “English”, “Hide”, and “Hint”. However, it doesn’t also change correctly or start with the correct text when the page is first loaded.

2 Likes

It’s not that hard to figure it out based on context, but it might help if the verb we were supposed to use was shown for this question:

1 Like

In English, “Do you plan on continuing to watch TV?” sounds (to me) like someone is watching TV at the exact moment the question is asked - whereas “Do you plan to continue to watch TV?” might be the same, or it might be that the watcher has taken a break (e.g. for lunch) and is being asked if they will return to watching TV after they finish lunch.

Hopefully that is useful in deciding whether to update the translation?

1 Like

Minimal review English provides this with no further instructions:

It should show the English regardless of the English setting, because it’s an instruction saying this:

Which is NOT an いAdjective?

Same here:

(It’s requesting ‘casual negative’)

1 Like

Would ほとんど also fit in here? If so, it could show a tip to answer in another way without simply considering ほとんど as wrong.

EDIT: Just noticed the “not that great” part. Is that the tip?

2 Likes

If you guys want, I can make a list of items that you guys already considered related to one another. You could then use that list to indicate to users similar grammar points so that they could learn it together. I’m asking because I’m not sure if you already have this done.

3 Likes

今夜はフランス料理をつくってみます currently doesn’t allow つくってみる.

1 Like

@seanblue Thank you for your feedback and suggestions! We will continue to play around with how we display the verbs and what hints we provide. We are working on a fix for the English button. We have updated Bunpro to accept the casual form of てみる. Cheers!

@Jnk1296 Thank you for your feedback and for pointing this out to us! All fixed! Cheers!

@maxb Thank you for your feedback! We have updated the site using the sentence “Do you plan to continue to watch TV?” to hopefully clear up any confusion on tense. Cheers!

@konekush Thank you for your feedback and for drawing these issues to our attention! Both the い-adjectives review question and the verb review question should be fixed. Cheers!

@jprspereira ほとんど would sound odd in this context as it would be more closely translated to “It is not mostly a good car, but it runs so it’s fine.” The “not that great” part is the tip that we tried to give to steer you away from not using another grammar point. Is there a way that we could make the hint more intuitive? If you are willing to compile a list of similar grammar points that would be extremely beneficial to us! We have a tentative list that could probably use some bolstering. Once we have the code ready for similar grammar we will start implementing those items and whatever you are willing to provide. Cheers!

3 Likes

@pushindawood
Would it be possible to add the ability to scroll through pages with the A and D keys instead of just the arrow keys?

1 Like

よう、そう、らしい、みたい、みえる

I’ve reached the point of having all of N5 & N4 Bunpro items added to reviews, and most of it has been quite pleasantly approachable. However, the one set of things that is really driving me crazy are all the different “seems like” words.

If possible, it would be really helpful if Bunpro could offer some more explanatory hints when you answer something that is valid grammar but uses the wrong nuance of “seems like”.

6 Likes

Japanese Language Stack Exchange are looking for community promotion adverts if you are interested in sharing BunPro, you’ll have an upvote from me.

2 Likes

Is the answer correct? The first answer in the structure box happens to have the same vocab word but a different conjugation…

1 Like

It’s past-tense too (see the English sentence). Sometimes the answers require a combination of grammar points. In this case, casual, causative-passive, and past tense

That said, are there supposed to be two “ta” in a row?

1 Like

Then wouldn’t it be Mi-saserareta rather than Mi-serareta?

1 Like