文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

This is a nice idea. However please finish english → japanese completely first.

@Aikibujin Thank you for your comment. Currently all of the sentences on Bunpro were generated in house and checked by a native before being translated in house. Yes, inputting your API key from Wanikani will remove the furigana from the Kanji you have unlocked on Wanikani. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve lightmode? Cheers!

@maxb We apologize for the mix-up! Both なくてはいけない and なくてはならない should be acceptable answers in this context, however the later is sometimes considered more formal. We have updated the site to give you a better idea of what answer Bunpro is looking for. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

@AmomentOfMusic Thank you for your feedback! We apologize for the inconvenience! We are still trying to work out all of the kinks with minimal hint. Thank you for pointing this out to us and thank you for your patience as we iron out all of the kinks. Cheers!

@jprspereira Thank you for your comment. Yes! Typically in conversations when you use ことにする you are making that decision at that point in time. Like our first sentence states: “Since today is April Fool’s, I’ve decided to only tell lies.” That decision was made right then and there. The main difference between the two is that ことにした・しました is something that is more “set in stone” decided, while ことにする・します is what you have decided to do, but may change down the road. However, this means that if you were to use ことにする in the sentence in your reviews, you would be making the decision to take the commemorative photo on the spot, whereas this particular decision has already been made (by the company/committee) and is a set place and time. We have updated the site to make the minimal hint a little more clear (we hope!). Cheers!

@seanblue Thank you for your feedback! Do you think that “request” works alright in the situation? Cheers!

@tashimi76 Thank you for all of your great feedback! We will see what we can do about adding your own resources and getting notifications working on the desktop site. We are working on improving the search functionality to make it more intuitive. Stay tuned! Cheers!

@sirati97 Thank you for your comment! We would not dream of adding these features before we completed the English → Japanese portion of the site first. Cheers!

2 Likes

When I fill in Bunpro’s built-in feedback form during reviews, does it automatically capture the grammar point that I’m currently doing at the time?

As I don’t know, I try to describe the grammar point in the feedback text. But, if it did that automatically, that would be even better.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be better!

1 Like

I’m a bit confused by this one:

今日は母の誕生日だ!気がついてなかった。
Today is Mom’s birthday! I didn’t even notice. [て-form]

Specifically, what grammar is the final ーてなかった ?

The hint that it is a て-form is not all that helpful. I wondered if it could be a past-negative ーてある, but I couldn’t find any examples of a negative ーてある. I wondered if it could be a contracted form of past-negative ーている, but Bunpro doesn’t accept the full form as an answer.

1 Like

Looking at one of the example sentences for ぐらい, one sentence lists the following:

何時ぐらいに来きますか

Approximately when will you come?

However couldn’t ごろ be used here since this is referencing a particular point in time someone is arriving rather than a quantity of time (e.g. approximately how many hours until you come back)?

2 Likes

Got it! Very good explanation by the way! :slight_smile: Appreciate it!

2 Likes

に代わり/に代わって

Wouldn’t it better for the tip to say something like “Try a more casual version”? For my understanding, に代わり is more formal than に代わって. This way, you’re just spoiling the answer.

1 Like

I learn backwards :smiley:

5 Likes

@pushindawood mentioned that they are still trying to remove these “spoiler” hints. But I’m wondering why they don’t just go through all of them and take care of it once and for all.

They’re probably fixing the ones reported as a quick fix, because I guess you can’t really be sure if you’re saying too much or not when you’re not the user. I mean, there’s so much stuff to do on Bunpro and they’re only a team of 2.

3 Likes

From the links recommended, I read that 代わりに and に代わり/に代わって meant the same. The thing is that one is more formal than the other bla bla bla. Still, shouldn’t my answer be accepted or not really? :thinking:

This time, the real answer was に代わって, but somehow it was telling me to answer with に代わり (like I did):

1 Like

まだ、食べたり、のんだりしています

The minimal hint “things like~and” doesn’t give enough information to explain that it should be in ている form.

1 Like

Cool.

No I think it’s good, I just prefer classic. ^ _ ^

Instead of improving light mode though, you could make a series of themes, or just different color versions of the same one so people could customize it a bit themselves to their own tastes.

1 Like

@maxb Thank you for your comment and for providing detailed feedback on the site! The feedback includes a link (URL) to the page you were on when you submitted the feedback. We must apologize for the confusion on what to input for the 気がつくgrammar point. Bunpro is indeed looking for the past-negative ている form (気がついてなかった) but we had only entered the short-casual 気がついてなかった as an acceptable answer. We have updated the site to accept both answers. Sorry for the inconvenience! Cheers!

@FieldMarshal Thank you for your feedback! Both ぐらい/くらい and ごろ/ころ are acceptable answers in this context. We have updated the site to accept both answers. Thank you for drawing this to our attention. Cheers!

@jprspereira Thank you for your feedback! We have updated に代わり and に代わって to not spoil the answers. Looks like we had not yet input かわりに for an alternative answer on the site. Thank you for pointing these out to us and for replying to @seanblue! We are trying to go through everything as thoroughly as possible as quickly as possible. Cheers!

@seanblue Thank you for your feedback! We have updated the minimal hint for たり〜たり to include the required information to enter the correct answers. Cheers!

@Aikibujin Thank you for your feedback! We will see what we can do about adding more color schemes. For the time being, we would like to focus on pushing more content, but if you have any particular colors in mind we would love to hear about them! Cheers!

3 Likes

@pushindawood: A link to the URL we’re on is pretty useless since most feedback will probably come during review sessions, all of which have the same URL. The URL alone won’t help identify problematic inputs/sentences, which is the most valuable part. I recommend making the fact that only the URL is included clear in the feedback box or changing the feedback mechanism to grab more information. (That said, I’m sure you’re already swamped with feedback, if you’re just a team of two. :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

@pushindawood
Could you explain how the SRS system work for Bunpro? I’ve noticed that even after getting an answer wrong it doesn’t always seem to reset my streak counter? Does it only drop the streak counter by one or does it reset it completely? What also is the SRS interval? What happens after the streaks are completed? Is it considered mature like Anki (and only studies less frequently) or burned like Wanikani? Thanks.

2 Likes

Pronoun and furigana issues:

3 Likes

I think this one could use a hint indicating that the past tense is expected, as the verb in English happens to be the same for both present and past tense. Somehow it didn’t occur to me that the expected answer was going to involve a little more than just straight up copying the [読む]…

2 Likes

Typo.

Should also accept あんまり.

Should suggest to answer in another way instead.

Grammar rule: あまり

I don’t think my answer should be interpreted as a “special rule”. With nouns I have to use Noun + の + あまり: noun + の + noun. My answer should be considered wrong, not as a special rule. My 2c though :slight_smile:

2 Likes