文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

@jprspereira Thank you for all of your feedback and for helping others navigate the site! Looks like we have another grammar point to add to the list (切れる). We have added the ようとする link to ようとする’s readings and will update the site to give a hint when you enter しながら instead of ているあいだに. Thank you for drawing these to our attention! Cheers!

@bebop-tank and @sjchwy Welcome! We are glad that you are enjoying Bunpro! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to make your experience more enjoyable. Cheers!

@maxb Thank you for your feedback. We are still working out the kinks for the minimal hint feature. The example you provided is extremely helpful to us as it allows us to pinpoint where we need to update the site to make it more intuitive. Thank you for your patience as we get everything ironed out. Cheers!

@BobaGakusei Thank you for your feedback. As @Hamigakiko pointed out, you can use the spacebar to cycle through no English, a hint, and the full English sentence. Thank you, @Hamigakiko! We are currently bolstering our arsenal of sentences so that you never have to see the same sentence appear in your reviews again. Stay tuned! Thank you for your suggestions on how to better implement casual and polite forms in reviews. We will see what we can do. Cheers!

@seanblue Thank you for your comment. It looks like we had omitted the “polite command” hint on the first couple of items in なさい and forgot to remove the で hint from つもり. Sorry about that! Should be all fixed now! Cheers!

@marcusp Thank you for your comment. We are sorry that you are experiencing issues! We are unable to reproduce the problem on our end. Would you mind telling us what operating system and browser you are using so that we can get to the bottom of this? Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

@Bowtron Welcome! Thank you for your comment. だから is completely acceptable and we apologize for not having it as an alternative answer. We have updated the site to reflect this. Thank you for drawing this to our attention and helping us make Bunpro more enjoyable for everyone! Please let us know if there is any way that we can improve your experience. Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks, @pushindawood

Regarding lessons, I had some feedback about that:

• I think it is very difficult to add lessons right now. It can’t be done in bulk, and it’s not easy to find related items to add together. Perhaps it’s less problematic for those learning items in-order, but there are ways to make it better for everyone.
  • It would be great to have links between lessons for related grammar points. For example, から and ので could refer to each other, and so could と/たら and ばかり/ところ. A lot of the sources linked cover more than 1 grammar point, so that would be one location to add these extra links.
  • The lesson pages themselves are difficult to navigate. The only options I’ve found are previous/next grammar point, which is clunky. How about adding?
    • previous/next un-added grammar point
    • previous/next added grammar point
    • up to lesson group
    • up to the JLPT grammar point level (N5/N4/N3/N2)
    • Add a grammar point search box on every lesson page (even if using it navigates you away to the usual search results page)

Can you clarify what information is sent to BunPro with the on-site feedback form?
If users know what info is included in addition to their form text (e.g., URL, review prompt, review response, etc.), then it’ll make filing feedback on the page much easier.

2 Likes

Update! - February 8, 2018

Thank you so much for using Bunpro!

N4 Sentences Following what we have done for N5 and what we plan to do for N3 and above, each N4 grammar point is now accompanied with 12 example sentences and 12 study questions. These new sentences cover the grammar point in multiple contexts, include additional conjugations and functions, and reveal hidden nuances. Having 12 new sentences in Reviews also means that you will never be quizzed on the same study question again. Every time you are quizzed, you will be asked to reproduce the grammar point in a different context. The updated sentences will not affect your SRS or streak and will be added to your Review queue accordingly.

New Lightmode: We have redesigned Lightmode. You can switch to Lightmode in your settings. Please let us know what you think!

Minimal Hint and Hide English: Everyone now has the option to show just the English translation of the grammar point in Reviews rather than the translation of the entire sentence. Click on the English button or press space to cycle through the minimal hint, full English translation, or no English. There are also now separate settings for displaying English in Lessons and in Reviews.

iOS App: A Bunpro app for iOS devices is currently available for beta testing. If you are interested in trying it out please email us at app@mail.bunpro.jp. We hope to move out of beta soon!

Coming Soon!

New Content: Tons of new grammar points for N3, new N2 lessons and finally some N1 content. *N3 Japanese sentences have been written and we are currently translating them to English and adding alternative answers for Reviews. Stay tuned!

Related Grammar: Each grammar point will include a list of similar grammar so that you can quickly and easily compare and contrast grammar points.

Thank you, again, for all of your support, feedback and kind words. We really appreciate it and hope that we can make Bunpro live up to your expectations.

Support Bunpro and become a beta tester for new features and have early access to N2 material. Any amount you choose to support us with will be available to you in the future in the form of discounts or access should Bunpro become subscription based. Learn More.

8 Likes

Sure, I use a Chromebook.
Until yesterday it was all working fine. But now the self-study section, on all grammar points, doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Mine is empty too.

Windows 10
Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable))

Aside: Is this section intended to be a place where you can add your own sentences to BunPro?

1 Like

I have 10 self study questions. everytime I do them and finish my session I have 10 new reviews to do which are these 10 self study questions again :sweat_smile:

I really love this idea, I really do. For me, however, a neccessary feature before I will feel comfortable using this service would be audio. I get that the service is new and that you’d like to have other kinks worked out first, but whenever you do get around to adding audio to reviews, I will gladly pay a subscription fee to use the site. Proper voice recordings are expensive!

1 Like

What’s the difference between bunny and lightening mode?

is this wrong?

this one refuses to accept my answer for some reason

Is it wrong to say 寝るふりをする instead of 寝たふりをする? Any differences between the two? :thinking: Thanks!

2 Likes

The lightmode is super nice! I like it a lot more than the dark green one. The contrast between the colors is clearer. I feel like I can spend more time on the site at a time now. For some reason the green always made me super drowsy so go figure haha.

1 Like

@BobaGakusei Thank you so much for your feedback and fantastic suggestions! We hope to have the feature to mass-add multiple grammar points and show related/similar grammar points available in the next update! We will see what we can do about making the site easier to navigate. We are able to see what page you were on when you made the feedback (URL). Cheers!

@marcusp and @BobaGakusei @zdennis We believe we have found solutions to the Self Study issues. Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems. Thank you so much for your patience! Cheers!

@finnra Thank you so much for your feedback and we appreciate your honesty! We would love to implement audio into Bunpro. Once we have all of the content implemented and kinks worked out we will get to work on incorporating audio into the lessons. Cheers!

@zdennis “Lightmode” displays Bunpro in a different color scheme as opposed to the default darker display mode that you are currently using. Bunny Mode automatically skips to the next review in your Review queue when you enter a correct answer. Cheers!

@durtle Thank you for your feedback! You are correct in both instances and we have updated the site accordingly. We apologize for the inconvenience! Cheers!

@jprspereira Thank you for your comment. Currently, we cannot provide a better explanation than what we received from a native: “It sounds strange.” 寝たふり or 寝ているふり are closer to set phrases than just a verb and ふり put together. We apologize for not being able to give you a more in-depth explanation! Cheers!

@Nedeli Awesome! We are glad that you like it. Please let us know if you have any suggestions on how to improve it. Cheers!

4 Likes

Sounding strange is a pretty good reason already :slight_smile: I’ll dig into it. Thanks!

2 Likes

@pushindawood Did you guys generate all the sentences yourself, or did you grab them from somewhere?

Also, does inputting you API key from WK take away furigana from Kanji you’ve unlocked in WK?

Looks really good so far! ^ _ ^

PS: I prefer the classic look to the light.

1 Like

I am confused by what is marked correct / wrong / “try another way” for this one:

12月になってから、暖房をつけなくてはいけない

つけなくてはいけない correct
つけなくてはならない wrong
つけなければいけない try another way
つけなければならない try another way

Is there some subtlety that makes number 2 more wrong, or should it get a “try another way” prompt too?

3 Likes

Hint for this should include the “was.” Got it wrong my first try because there was no way to know with only the hint that it was supposed to be past tense.

1 Like

So, I read here that the difference between ことにする and ことにした is that the former indicates that the decision was just made, while the latter is just the typical “I decided…”. Is this true? Because that’s how I based my answer to this one review:

By the way, add the polite form as a hint too.

1 Like

このプレゼントをお父さんにわたしてあげて
Hand over this present to your dad. [do for・command]

It’s not really a command though, right? Is there a better name for this so it doesn’t get confused with the imperative form or なさい.

I much prefer darkmode in anything but I like the minimal English setting. Thank you!

Would love to have the option to add my own textbook reference under readings. You could potentially use the data down the track to improve this section based on user input.

I’m not really sure about why there needs to be sepaprate Lesson and Grammar tabs. They seem to be the same but sorted slightly differently.

I think the thing that would get me to use BunPro more would be the ability to get notifications when reviews are ready. The iOS beta app doesn’t do it and I’m not sure how to set it up for Chrome (although there are extensions that do this for other pages like gmail).

1 Like

Could you check if you accidentally turned off push notifications? That’s actually pretty much the first thing the app asks for.

Right now you should get a notification for the next review, unless it’s in the past.

I noticed myself that it sometimes goes by unnoticed and I will add reminder notifications and badge the app icon. The problem is that unlike WK reviews are not grouped together on every full hour, so giving a notification for every single one could be pretty messy :persevere:

2 Likes