文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

On the mobile app, apparently you can’t search by kana if the grammar point uses kanji. So searching for いく doesn’t return に行く even though it should.

1 Like

The stem of aso~bu is aso~bi?

Just stumbeld across the same problem and found this:

Rules for extracting the stem of verbs

For ru-verbs: Remove the 「る」
Example: 食べる → 食べ
For u-verbs: The last vowel sound changes from an / u / vowel sound to an / i / vowel sound.
Example: 泳ぐ → 泳ぎ
Exceptions:
    「する」 becomes 「し」
    「くる」 becomes 「き」

Source: Polite Form and Verb Stems – Learn Japanese

3 Likes

Here i would say that one should use an alternative to いけない instead of accepting it

also please don’t give the answer away (here we have the opposite)

1 Like

Here are the inflections from Jisho.
あそぶ is あそびます, so the stem (ie minus ます) is あそび, isn’t that right?

1 Like

You conjugate to the masu form and then drop the masu to get the stem of a word.

1 Like

or just switch the last vowel from u to i :grin:

I think this might be a bit off-topic, but any of you hardcore Bunpro users out there, how do you know the system is working for you? I’m half way through the N3 level, and even though I answer a lot of the reviews correctly, multiple times, I really can’t list all the 70 topics I studied using the system. I feel my answers are more a reflex than actual language acquisition. What’s your strategy to test what you’ve learnt with this tool? Any JLPT success story after using this tool?

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply! As long as that’s the intended functionality I’m glad to know it and will go with it. I was just confused by the inconsistency.

Re: mass-add of grammar points, I will keep going with it manually for the time being so I don’t drown. I really appreciate that you guys are so accommodating as to offer that for a single account!

1 Like

Hmm, just wondering… For me, “language acquisition” is exactly that “reflex” that you are describing… It means for me that I can apply the grammatical structures and the vocabulary without recalling or thinking about them, maybe even without consciously recognizing them. And later maybe even without remembering that they exist. Things just start to “feel natural”.

Curious question: What do you expect language acquisition to be, if not a reflex?

1 Like

I just came across this review:

Is this indeed wrong? (If so, I don’t understand why - send help plz)
Or is this a case of casual/polite not (yet) being both accepted?

It’s a question (see the ?), so you either have to finish it with ですか (formal) or just してもいい (casual). Your answer means “It’s okay to do this kanji study.”

4 Likes

Aaaah, got it! Thanks a million :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me language acquisition means being able to recall a structure and its meaning both ways, not just to simply use it, something specially important when learning grammar, I think; reflex means I can use something but don’t know how to explain it, which is really bad when you really need to recall it under pressure, on a test environment, what this tool is aiming at.

I’m also not sure whether this is the right way to learn grammar, as it’s not the same as acquiring vocabulary. I don’t feel I’m actually using the grammar point but just reviewing it on the same bunch of sentences all over again, that’s why I’m asking for other user’s experiences or advice.

1 Like

I haven’t read the full post, but that first sentence seems a bit ridiculous. For what reason, other than teaching, would you need to be able to recall pure grammar points. Do you ever need to know the intricate workings of your native language, or can you even accurately describe your native languages grammar points?

This tool aims to help you train for the JLPT exam, where I don’t want to purely guess whether my answer was right or wrong based on a reflex, but to actually know the right way to use it. On the JLPT, they use a multiple choice system where they usually let you choose between four points, and some or them are trick questions, that’s why actually recalling the rules of a grammar point is helpful, I think :slight_smile:

Well… the essence of Bunpro is to serve you as a guide to what to learn. You learn it through different sources and then you get to use the grammar points to maintain the level of knowledge of when you learned it. Of course, Bunpro doesn’t substitute writing to natives.

That’s also why Bunpro offers you links to learn from. You can’t simply read the example sentences, the translation and think it’s done.

2 Likes

That’s different. A native language implies years and years of exposure. You don’t need to know why everything works the way they do because you know what sounds off and what sounds correct. When you’re learning a language, you have no idea what’s right or wrong.

3 Likes

Bunpro uses a different sentence every time you review. Sure, there are only about ten, or so, example sentences it chooses from per grammar point, but with the space between reviews, you won’t see them enough to have the exact sentence memorized, you should only try to learn how to use the grammar point.

2 Likes

He said, “being able to recall a structure and its meaning both ways, not just to simply use it”. When learning a new language you only really need to be able to recall how to convert your native language’s grammar points into the targeted language’s grammar points, and not the other way around. I’m saying, recognizing the content is enough to translate from the language back into your native language. You would only need to have a deep understanding of how Japanese grammar points, for example, convert to English grammar points, the opposite of what one normally does with them, if you were from some reason translating a Japanese text. Meaning, you need to understand how Japanese grammar points function within a Japanese sentence, not how they would be converted to English grammar points, as he suggests.

1 Like