文プロ(Bunpro): オノマトペ Deck - April 8th, 2024 - Japanese Grammar and Vocab SRS

Are items in Bunpro ever burned?

1 Like

It can happen

2 Likes

@pushindawood Bug (or feature): If I get an item wrong it gets kicked to the back of the review queue for me to try again. If, on a subsequent attempt I hit the ‘opps’ button and then get it right, it marks the item as ‘correct’, even though in this case I got it wrong originally and the oops was undoing the second incorrect entry.

I wanted to get through my reviews quickly and was hitting ‘opps’ on items that I was getting wrong 3+ more times in one review session, without realizing that I actually marking them correct.

2 Likes

What can I say? I am lost for words at how good Bunpro is!
I looked at the site a couple of months ago, thought there was nothing to it, and left. But, prompted by another thread here on WK this week, I went back to take another look. And oh my goodness! It is superb!
I’m now getting the hang of it and am using the self-study feature too, which I think is a great idea. My only problem is when I get something wrong. Do I click on “oops” or not. Do I backspace and try again? Is that counted in my %s.
Apart from that, I am really impressed. And with Bunpro (and WK!) I feel pretty confident about taking N5 this summer!

1 Like

Hi I’m new to learning Japanese and Wanikani. The Bunpro site looks great. I’ll be signing up and using Bunpro as well. Thanks for your efforts and commitment.

2 Likes

You click on ‘oopps’ if you made an honest mistake (typo, etc). It is the same as the wanikani “ignore” script. In both cases, it is possible to abuse, so be careful.

If you get an item wrong, you can review your mistake and the correct answer and then move on to the next item.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! It’s much clearer now!
(So if it was a real mistake, I click on the arrows to the right, yes?)

1 Like

That is correct. Or you can just hit ‘enter’. ‘a’ will insert in the correct answer and ‘f’ will pull down more detail about the item.

2 Likes

Thanks again! Good to know!

2 Likes

For つもり why are the last few example sentences (Japanese and English) entirely in yellow? Also, this is the first time I saw you show the double line cross out in example sentences. Personally, I don’t think that makes sense.

EDIT:
I also just did the review for つもり and I was marked wrong for leaving out the だ even though the structure section says it’s optional.

1 Like

Also, you may have noticed that I like to test out what variations you warn on the first time I do a review.

For けれども, I tried けど and saw that it warns with “Looking for けれども”. Maybe you should just say that it’s looking for something more formal.

Also, should you show the same warning if someone puts けれど? Right now it’s just marked as wrong. I assume the formality of けれど is between けど and けれども, but I don’t really know.

For たり, there’s the same problem I brought up before of not typing in the whole verb along with the conjugation. But of course this case raises a problem because then you’d have to type two different things for the answer. This also has come up before where there are two parts to the answer, and in those cases you give one part (which you obviously can’t do here because it would give away たり). Does this become a bigger problem as you get to more and more complex grammar? Do you think it will eventually be necessary to have more than one input for some reviews, one for each part of the answer?

2 Likes

Thank you very much for creating Bunpro! I’ve been using it almost since the first day and it helped me a lot on the N4 test (which I passed), and it’s helping me a lot as well in order to prepare for N3.

As requested a few days ago, I would also like a strict mode.

In my opinion, special rules aren’t such a big deal since I can purposedly answer incorrectly to make them wrong, but what annoys me are these answers that are marked as correct despite answering something different that means the same. These ones should have a yellow sign showing “try another way” instead of going correct. It doesn’t just tell you the right answer, but it doesn’t give you a chance to use the “oops” button to mark it as actually wrong.

I don’t want grammar points I don’t know to be marked as correct just because I said another correct way. Some examples where this happens:

ぜんぜん・すこしも、どんな・どういう、べき ・こと、すればいい・したらいい

Great work, you are creating a really nice learning tool!

3 Likes

For the second example sentence here:

ここのレストランかあそこのレストランでいい"。
This restaurant or (at) that restaurant is good(is a good choice).

I noticed it says 「ここのレストラン」, where I would have expected it to be 「このレストラン」.

I haven’t seen ‘ここ + の + noun’ before, I wondered if it has the same meaning.

1 Like

@Arzar33 Absolutely no problem at all! We are glad that it is working for you now. Please let us know if you continue to experience any difficulties. Thank you also for your kind words! We are overjoyed to hear that you are finding Bunpro helpful. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to make it better for you. Cheers!

@kinome Welcome! We are so glad to have you with us and that you are enjoying your experience. When there is no prompt given that Bunpro is looking for the casual or the polite form of the verb, it is safe to assume that either form of the verb will be acceptable. However, after implementing the new “minimal hint” feature we realized that we did not include the casual/polite form prompt in some instances and are trying to go through the site to properly mark each item. If you are marked incorrectly for using one form over another please let us know so that we can correct it. Thank you for your patience in this matter. Currently we do not have a way to mass-add grammar points, but if you send us an email we would be happy to add any and all the grammar points you like. However, before you do this we suggest that you try starting out small (a lesson’s worth of reviews every other day or so) so that you do not burn yourself out on grammar. We believe that until you are confident that you know the functions of each and every grammar point, it would be best not to overburden yourself. Please let us know if you have any more questions or if there is any way that we can improve the site for you. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi there, I’m having issues on the mac version of Chrome. I can view the lessons fine but as soon as I go to review it won’t let me submit my answer.

On the iPhone app, the total lessons for the JLPT levels don’t match the website. Sounds like somebody hardcoded those numbers instead of grabbing them dynamically. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Subversity Thank you for your feedback. We decided to highlight what the grammar point was “modifying” in the English sentence in Reviews. In this particular instance we require that you also enter a verb conjugation with the grammar point, so we included the verb. In Lessons we wanted your attention to be placed solely on the grammar point and how it appears in the sentence, so we did not highlight the verb (in the Japanese or English sentence). Do you believe that we should not include the entire verb and its conjugation in reviews or that we should also have included the 仲良く portion? We would love to hear your thoughts on how we can improve the site for everyone! Cheers!

@jprspereira Thank you for your comment. The 硬 (かたい) in the top left corner of some grammar points means that that particular grammar point is usually only used in formal or written Japanese (not spoken). Hope this answers your question. Cheers!

@maxb Thank you for your feedback! We will update that site with a better explanation of the different nuances of 来てから and 来た後で. Thank you for your suggestion. Cheers!

@pgoonghang Grammar points on Bunpro are never officially “burned”. However, once you complete your streak (12 correct answers in a row) you will not see the grammar point again for over 20 years. :grinning:

@tmahrt Thank you for your feedback! We hope to have the “oops” button issue fixed with the next update. Thank you for drawing this to our attention. Cheers!

@hkessler Welcome! Please let us know if you have any feedback or if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

@seanblue Thank you for your feedback. We have fixed the issue with the last few example sentences all appearing in yellow and have updated the site so that つもり is also accepted as an answer. We decided to include the double line cross in the example sentences to draw attention to the で being dropped in ではない when using the negative form of つもり. Thank you also for letting us know about けれども. We are still trying to find all of the instances where we provided too much of a hint (or the answer). We have updated the site appropriately. We are still working on a way to implement multiple inputs for things like たり and より〜の方が etc. Once we find the best method for doing this we will update Bunpro to require multiple entries in Reviews. Cheers!

@Averaver Thank you for your kind words and feedback! We hope to push a strict mode in the next update! We are also trying to be less-lenient overall with what we accept in Reviews. It has proven more challenging than we expected to find the perfect medium between allowing certain answers (sometimes there can be many “acceptable” answers) and rejecting others (causing user frustration). This is why our ultimate goal with Bunpro is to provide as much material with as much customization as possible so everyone can fine-tune their studies. Thank you for providing us with some good examples on where we can better focus our attention. Cheers!

@ambo100 Thank you for your feedback! この is acceptable here but ここの puts emphasis on the location. When this item appears in your reviews, both この and ここの are acceptable answers, we just wanted to show the dynamic range of ここ. Cheers!

@Natasha167 We are sorry to hear that you are having issues! We are unable to replicate the problem on our end. Are both the ‘return’ (‘enter’) key and submit buttons unresponsive? Would you mind posting a screenshot of the Reviews screen. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that we can get to the bottom of the issue as soon as possible. Cheers!

5 Likes

My main suggestion is merely that the grammar point is a double negative, so the English highlighting should include both “unless” and “won’t”. Not fussed about the verb either way :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I went to play at the park.

Why do they change 遊ぶ to 遊び?

That’s what “stem” means…

Is that what you’re asking?