整える Synonyms [Decisions, decisions...]

Hey Everyone!

So I initially posted this just kind of thinking out loud to myself over in the Longest Thread (but honestly hoping for some advice…) but we’re really getting into a different discussion, so I don’t think anyone will see it over there… SO…

[quote]I’m trying to decide if 整える should get “to tidy up” and “to organize”. I know I’m going to always think “to organize”… but is it correct? It’s neither on Jisho nor Weblio! (However, basically all meanings mean organize!)

@_@ (Getting slightly frustrated and overwhelmed with the synonym decisions.)[/quote]

Anyone been doing this longer than me have an opinion on this? What should I do? Should I include “to organize” and some of Weblio’s other synonyms, or not? Hmm…

Does 整える actually mean to organize, in this way? (Because I can see WK staff not including it due to the other English meaning of “to organize”, as in organizing an event, or forming a union or club…)

Yes

10 characters

Thank you!
I was hoping for a reply from you, too. Much appreciated!

one of the methods i use in that situation that I recall Koichi mentioning somewhere, is to take the word, plop it into google search and look at image results. now having said that, i tried 整える and i suppose you could interpret it as ‘arrangement’ of things as well as preparation in the ‘tidy up’ sense…there were a disturbingly large amount of pictures of people plucking and shaping eyebrows…

1 Like

The only important distinction for this definition is that it means taking things and moving them into a particular arrangement, and not, for instance, organizing a meeting or gathering a group of people.

I do recall seeing that… and except for in the case of nouns… I don’t think I really want to do that.

I did that with a few colours, in the past, though, back in the earlier levels. *nods*

Which I understand.
I’m organizing things. *points at original post*

That is the #1 meaning for “organize” in my mind.

EDIT: And, you answered me that way, too. So honestly, a bit confused at your second post even being there. Was that for other people’s benefit? *raises an eyebrow* Anyway…

I was just affirming that that’s the only caveat.

Okay.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.